Champion Sneak Peek Zyra, Rise of the Thorns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZeroExe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-11-2012

since we are *****ing about stupid ****..... I want a champ that is a banana... A lesbian and gay champ.... I want a champ that only speaks in spanish and everything is over dramatized .........And i want an item that lets me turns baron into a popsicle.

daggothethan

07-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post

I will say Gragas is a great comparison, but for different reasons. Gragas is fun and has been strong for awhile, but no one wants to play a fat drunk guy any more than they do a fat drunk girl. It's not a compelling fantasy on nearly any axis. Dwarves are an example of this done more in-line with a good fantasy fulfillment "stout and tough" is better than "fat".
i love gragas!

Morello

Lead Designer

07-11-2012
7 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptDictator View Post
I would have to disagree. I specifically play Gragas BECAUSE he is a fat drunk guy and I think he is hilarious. As you stated he has been strong for a while, but until he gets featured in "professional" play more no one pays attention to him. A good example of this situation is Urgot. Often Devs have made the argument that players do not like "ugly" champs like Urgot. Yet after he was played in some high level tournament play suddenly you see him pop up a lot more in causal play.

Mind you, I really like the teaser art for the new champ and have no issues with the look, but I felt the need to point this out.
Even when they spike up, they're almost totally unused. This screams to us that generally, LoL fans aren't into this sort of stuff except on an extreme niche level.

Zinwrath

07-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptDictator View Post
I would have to disagree. I specifically play Gragas BECAUSE he is a fat drunk guy and I think he is hilarious. As you stated he has been strong for a while, but until he gets featured in "professional" play more no one pays attention to him. A good example of this situation is Urgot. Often Devs have made the argument that players do not like "ugly" champs like Urgot. Yet after he was played in some high level tournament play suddenly you see him pop up a lot more in causal play.

Mind you, I really like the teaser art for the new champ and have no issues with the look, but I felt the need to point this out.
Ya, fat drunk guys can be hilarious at partys, Fat drunk girls....everyones just frightend they might decide to pull their top off. Also, your example is kinda away from the point with urgot. All this proves is the people who just wanna win and watch tournys dont care what their champ looks like as long as they get results. Also i personally think battlecast urgot and crabgot are pretty awsome skins and almost every urgot i've seen has one or the other lately.

Aemys

07-11-2012

Quote:
This is something I think is better discussed with the art team since there's no design meeting that contains this type of info (is she athletic/curvy/etc). IronStylus is likely more in-tune on this than I am.

I will say Gragas is a great comparison, but for different reasons. Gragas is fun and has been strong for awhile, but no one wants to play a fat drunk guy any more than they do a fat drunk girl. It's not a compelling fantasy on nearly any axis. Dwarves are an example of this done more in-line with a good fantasy fulfillment "stout and tough" is better than "fat".

I think champions should attract the eye in some way - Cho'Gath does this with being powerful and large, Varus being dark and sleek, Lulu being adorable, Riven being poweful strong and stawart, or Katarina being sexy. How we do that is something, though, I think is best left to discussion with artists.
This is where you're wrong and over-generalizing, in my opinion. For some people, playing a "fat drunk guy/girl" is fun in its own right, because it's a videogame. Masquerading around in the virtual world as something you aren't in the real world is part of the fun of it all. Masquerading around as a fat drunk guy is probably a lot more fun for some people than playing as something femme fatale. You're gonna take a lot of heat for this particular comment.

That being said, I think Zyra's design is beautiful, and completely appropriate for her archetype. It's not like you're taking an old hag archetype and making it sexy with giant boobs spilling out (which wouldn't be true to the archetype, and therefore truly exploiting the power of *** appeal) just to make people want to buy it.

What I think is fueling some of the frustration from the QQers is that there really is no "old hag" archetype in the game. As far as female champions are concerned, there's a lot of dodging the less attractive female archetypes, with excuses of "Oh, but we do have variety! Leona, Riven, Lulu..." when all of those are still attractive in their own right. I think it goes hand-in-hand with the demand for more monster champions. People are tired of pretty and aesthetic. They want Riot to dirty it up.

KinkyDinky

07-11-2012

4 ears? totally my type of girl

Propheciah

07-11-2012

Lol, I was pretty taken back by the nature of the champion photo, but I'm not gonna lie, it only makes the champ all the more appealing lmao xD. I wonder what role she's going to play. Im really guessing she'll be a long lost relative of maokai before he became a tree or something in her lore, idk. Although Zyra seems more like an AP or Jungler, she may just be another support champ? Im not too sure, but almost all the support champs are female, so...

thepantsparty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-11-2012

Quote:
This is something I think is better discussed with the art team since there's no design meeting that contains this type of info (is she athletic/curvy/etc). IronStylus is likely more in-tune on this than I am.

I think champions should attract the eye in some way - Cho'Gath does this with being powerful and large, Varus being dark and sleek, Lulu being adorable, Riven being poweful strong and stawart, or Katarina being sexy. How we do that is something, though, I think is best left to discussion with artists.
On the contrary - I don't play Gragas because I don't find his kit fun. You basically wait around for Q to be up, use W every time it's off cooldown with no strategic planning, and sometimes nuke people with R to reposition them to help your team. Playing a fat, drunk ******* is hilarious and awesome, but his abilities just don't match up with what I want out of an AP mid (I want someone who gets to cast lots of spells to deal their damage - Cass is probably my favorite, I just haven't gotten around to buying her yet).

But perhaps I'm the exception the rule, as I love playing Trundle and Urgot is on my to-buy list. Aesthetics matter far less to me than how the champion's abilities "feel" and how effective they are.

RM Glamorous

07-11-2012

Thanks god, here goes a chick.

daggothethan

07-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolaiKentov View Post
Funny how almost everyone predicted there would be one person just like you. If you are so worried about "superdeeduper bangable" male champs. just look at Traditional Lee Sin. Shirtless and ripped. Stop being an ignorant pompous waste of space in the chat forums and play the game. You might realize there is more male eye-candy than you think.
men have no place saying the male champs are sexualized or whatever, cause they aren't, and you are stupid if you think so. yes alot a ripped but guys, cmon seriously, just stop. i agree we need diversity with female champs. they all are super sexy with a perfect bod, with the only exception being yordles, and wtf ever poppy is. is she a yordle? anyway, it's just like white people pulling the race card. we can't do that, and men can't complain about male sexism in this game -_-.
on the other hand, people need to stfu about this champ being sexist on here, bring that to the proper forum. also, bunny Ezreal, cmon. i'd buy it. draven is kinda a step in a direction of having flamboyant male champs, and you all know it.