The forums need fixing, it is getting stupid Riot...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pendragon

Director of Player Experience

Follow RiotPendragon on Twitter

07-10-2012
3 of 13 Riot Posts

Quote:
really? Those excuses are pathetic and you know it Pendragon. What you should do is make the community happy, not let things go unchanged simply because "we don't want to do it" YES THAT IS A PARAPHRASE: but its true
It's not that we don't want to do ANYTHING, it's that there's not a super-compelling case to do manty of these things in particular. I'll say that the forums need a ton of work - historically our priority has been to keep them online, (hard considering how many posts they get), but now that we're doing pretty good there we can definitely start to focus on some other stuff.

That being said - the philosophy is that the discussion is king, and anything we can do to enhance the quality of the conversations will be the priority. I'm not totally up to speed on the current forum projects but I know we have a few in the works.

Quote:
What about showing both the number of upvotes and downvotes rather than just the total votes? Someone who has 20 downvotes may seem to have an unpopular post but it could be actually a case of 80 downvotes and 60 upvotes representing a very mixed viewpoint.
Yes. I'd love to see a way of showing controversial voters versus landslide votes.

Quote:
What about improved advanced Search options? As far as I've been able to tell, all we have are "Search by title" and "Search by post". We can't even search a specific forum! I can't tell you the amount of times I've thought "I wonder if this bug has been reported..." with no viable means of finding out. Along the same lines, some sort of "Find my posts" functionality would also be wonderful to have.
Yup, we definitely need to have that too. I'll leave this here in the meantime for you to play with.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...&&pp=25&page=1

Quote:
I'm still waiting for the "Skip to Riot post "x"" instead of having to click through 50-500 riot responses or skim the last 10-15 pages to get to the most recent one.
Yeah, another great one I'd love to see.

ZeroSlash

07-10-2012

I've posted a thread about the whole site being revamped, it needs to change, and it needs to match. but of course was ignored. There's way too many ideas that arent necessary while they are things that are always there. Pendragon mentioned exactly what I mean. I could fix the whole lot of forums with so many small changes, and I'm sorry but "space" is a big issue, doesn't make the site look professional at all, and my problems is not only the forums but other sections of the site.

Forums need to change and update.

Lagfromhell

07-10-2012

ITT: People trying to turn this place into Facebook.

Bunny Killer

07-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
Quote:
private forum groups
No plans for this.
Quote:
user profiles
No plans for this either.
why not, considering they already existed for a time even if we werent supposed to know about them?

Everlaztin

07-10-2012

I like this idea it would be great bump

Pendragon

Director of Player Experience

Follow RiotPendragon on Twitter

07-10-2012
4 of 13 Riot Posts

Quote:
why not, considering they already existed for a time even if we werent supposed to know about them?
The question is not why not- it's why. You often see these on forums because many forums encompass the entirety of the community experience. In League of Legends that's not the case. The forums are a part of a larger experience (League of Legends).

I could potentially see adding forum information to your League of Legends profile, but I don't think we would make forum-specific profiles. You are one person with one identity, you should have one profile.

It's very tough to evaluate individual ideas, and rationalize why we will or won't do something. For things like the forums I'd rather identify problem or opportunity statements, then create a series of ideas based on solving those problems or capturing that opportunity.

Bumping is a problem because it enables someone who is persistent to have a greater share of visibility than someone who contributes positively for example.
Search needs to be improved because there are very practical use cases for search that a player can't do with the current tools.
A reputation system could potentially help with people contributing more constructively.

Tiziu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHeroNamedHawke View Post
And its not like they make money off a better forum anyway
Oh my. I just had this awesome idea... LEGENDARY FORUM SKINS!

ZeroSlash

07-10-2012

Exactly, some of these things while somewhat beneficial, do not have any need or any significant reason to add them.

Vulking

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagfromhell View Post
ITT: People trying to turn this place into Facebook.
Why it have to be always Facebook? could it be just a regular well organized forum? you know like for example the Shoryuken.com forums or similar?

Shoryuken forums for example are quite organized and they do cover a wide range of games that also happen to have a wide range of sub forums like general gameplay, specific character forums, worldwide matchmaking, etc...

Baseraper

07-10-2012

I agree that anything to do with profiles should include your game account rather then a separate forum account... Afterall it is a forum about a game...