RIOT PLZ. Orianna "buff" is more of a nerf (MATH ITT)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Burrowing Owl

07-06-2012

"Kinda remind me of graves Q "buff" at higher risk wich ended up being a nerf no matter how you land it."

The difference is that Graves didn't need a buff. He needed a nerf if anything. He's used in every freakin game.

Orianna is NEVER used. Well almost never. Now it'll be never.

Riot, FYI - you alienated Orianna fans - which were quite few already.
The goal of this was??? to make her accessible and for more people to use her? Good luck with that.

You made her extremely one dimensional now.

To The Moon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-06-2012

I want a red statement. I want to know what they were thinking, but I can't relate.

Akkku

07-06-2012

So Roku, want to answer back to some of our worries with something a little more than "I like it?" Community thinks Orianna is in a good spot and you guys end up changing her to being a mana sucker early game.

CIark Kent

07-06-2012

So basically, Riot nerfed Orianna's numbers just to smoothen out her playstyle. QQ

Blaine Tog

07-06-2012

I really like Orianna, but now that we've seen the full extent of the changes, I don't see how she's going to be viable, at all.

Akkku

07-06-2012

Honestly if Riot didn't want people to believe these changes were wack they'd give us an in depth guide like Morello did for the supports, but honestly all we've gotten was Roku saying he feels good and likes the changes. Of course he does, they wouldn't implement changes that Riot doesn't like...

To The Moon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-06-2012

Riot pls.

Burrowing Owl

07-06-2012

I vote they make a new hero that's called Orianna 2 that has the old stats.

Regretful Legacy

07-06-2012

I don't play Orianna but this makes sense. +1

Morello

Lead Designer

07-06-2012
1 of 22 Riot Posts

While I'm less in tune with this problem (Orianna is off my radar), I wanted to share a comment from another post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkku View Post
You went in an in depth explanation as you why supports are toxic, and all he gave us was "we like them so we're doing it." No one has answered why these Orianna changes were needed or what they truly want to improve on. The community believes Orianna was in a good spot so we are all shocked why you are changing that up.
From my POV (less close to the problem), there's tradeoffs that some things go down, some things go up. If this is somehow a net nerf, the changes set us up to do needed improvements in the future without running into "infinite zone" Orianna in lane.

I guess this won't be popular, but the timing and feel improvements seem to mitigate a lot of this from what I've seen in testing. Making skills more reliable ups their damage potential as well, and none of the calculations can take that into account. Additionally, people perceive combination nerfs and buffs as flat nerfs in most cases (which is not the case in many situations).

In short:

* Play it with an open mind and see. We think this is roughly equal in total power, and a reliaiblity buff. Math never tells the whole story.

* If it is a nerf, that's not our intent, and it's easy to fix with numbers in the future. The timing works we did here are significantly more complex to get right, so that framework helps us. Change is hard to adjust to, but if there's something missing when you play it, a couple weeks should show a lot.

I tend to trust Roku as he's a hardcore, skilled Orianna player, and he's thrilled with the changes. This gives me some confidence when I have less oversight on specifics.