Jayce, the Defender of Tomorrow Revealed

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VegaMyster

07-04-2012

I'll admit his normal skin is boring but i really like his Full Metal Skin, reminds me of Transformers War for Cybertron + Samus.

Qianweijia

07-04-2012

Hi, my name is Phreak and I play Jayce as a jungler.

Ninjaorigami

07-04-2012

Haven't tried him yet (still hoping that Riot will edit/retcon the lore in some way soon) but my concern is
What does it mean when it says "Hyper cannon: increases attack speed to maximum?" Does that mean this skill boosts his AS to the cap at fully ranked, giving him a better AS steroid that Trist, while also being incredibly versitile? (maintains a gap closer in melee form, has better poke and utility in ranged...)
is confused

jaziken

07-04-2012

I think the lore wont be changed, don't get me wrong you have to be smart to understand it, the narrator of the lore is totally unreliable and jayce stole from viktor, the "prototype" was the mercury hammer, viktor would obviously plan revenge, so i hope one of viktors comrads and blitzcrank take harsh revenge.

Juiceee

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-04-2012

Awesome

Zileas

VP of Game Design

07-04-2012
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Hello,

To those of you who have aired feedback on the lore, Runaan posted on this in another thread, and I think it will allay your concerns. The post is here:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...85827#26485827

I've posted it here verbatim though to simply the discussion.

I don't know the current plan of the creative design team on this issue beyond what Ru said, but we are going to talk about it tomorrow and I know they are already thinking about it. Fixing something like this is carefully considered, and then has to get edited and iterated on a few times, and then has to go live. With the holiday and everything else, getting a solid iteration in time for this reveal post just was not possible. Please give the team a little bit of a time to weigh the feedback and figure out what they are going to do -- they became aware of the issue shortly before we had an office holiday, and good character development does require a surprising number of steps to do well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRunaan View Post
Hi everyone,

We’ve been keeping an eye on this thread today (and others about Jayce and Viktor), and now that we’ve had a chance to listen to you guys and contemplate your feedback, we wanted to jump in.

Let’s talk about Viktor and Jayce, as we envision them:

We’d like to evolve Viktor into a complex, tormented villain in the League of Legends story, but we also want him to remain the sympathetic – and possibly redeemable – character he’s established to be in his own lore. Tormented and obsessed with the superiority of machines, Viktor is on a slow descent into madness, and he seeks to push his “glorious evolution” – the transformation from man to machine – onto Runeterra at large. His confrontation with Piltover, a place he sees as weak (full of puny-minded scientists who could, after all, be “so much more”) was a step in this direction. The “acolytes” mentioned in Jayce’s bio were not random minions but in fact Zaunite humans Viktor has swayed to his cause (and augmented, of course, with “improvements”). Jayce stood against him, and such opposition is the first setback in Viktor’s plan – something he’ll have to overcome.

Unfortunately, within the storytelling constraints of a bio, we weren’t able to paint this nuanced picture of Viktor as we envision him.

Jayce’s bio is a story about Jayce. This is the way in which the humble inventor became a hero, but it’s also just the beginning of his journey. We wanted to hint at a lot of flaws he’s going to have to overcome: he’s brash, he has trouble with authority, and he’s more than a little arrogant. For example, from anyone’s perspective but his own, destroying Viktor’s lab in its entirety might have been overzealous. Secondly, Jayce ignored the warnings of the Piltover government to strike against Viktor alone, which speaks to his recklessness and arrogance. His actions had the greater good in mind: Jayce truly does embody Piltover’s focus on the purity of science and progress, and Viktor stands directly in opposition to those values. Jayce may have gotten a little bit lucky this time, though. Viktor underestimated Piltover, and thus underestimated Jayce. Things might not turn out so well for the Defender of Tomorrow the next time the two cross paths.

Overall, we want to set the stage for an epic struggle between our two paragons of science in Piltover and Zaun. After listening to your feedback today, we don’t think we quite accomplished that with Jayce’s bio. With that in mind, the Creative team is going to take a look at Jayce’s bio over the coming days and evaluate ways to improve it.

You might think a thread like this would be hard for us to read – but it’s actually incredibly rewarding to hear how passionate you all are about our characters and lore. Thanks for your enthusiastic feedback!

Ask the Herald

07-04-2012

Change it.

Please?

sohmwan87

07-04-2012

um, i like the idea of this character. but based on his skills he is too op. make him have range and melee, wow. really riot. stupid action to make considering he can have access to transform in the beginning. not quite sure where riot intended but this make other or most champs obsolete. unless you revamp the other champs, you can see why. tired of creating new champs that have more skills then 5 or 6. freaken ridiculous. fix the ones you already have and quit trying to have a lot of mediocre champs... effort: 3.75/5

Showdwn

07-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
Hello,

To those of you who have aired feedback on the lore, Runaan posted on this in another thread, and I think it will allay your concerns. The post is here:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...85827#26485827

I've posted it here verbatim though to simply the discussion:
Ru claimed the lore was going to be revised and improved;

it wasn't.

ninja131313

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-04-2012

While i like lore in video games this game would be fine without it but riot wants to imerse the player so the add their lore of each champion. Jayces' lore is fine and seriosly victor is supposed to be an evil genius and no one plays him anyway.