Jayce's background makes Viktor look like a hypocrite and a saturday morning villain.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ReaperFan

Senior Member

07-03-2012

So maybe it was said somewhere in the 57 pages of this thread, but out of laziness I gotta ask. How exactly do I read the lore if I'm not in PBE? I've looked a bit but can't seem to find it, and with only the sneak peek officially out right now I don't have much to go on.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TootlesTheGoon

Senior Member

07-03-2012

Bump.
Also: Viktor needs no such technology from such a "frail body" as this mortal. If Jayce was smart, he'd join the glorious evolution.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Peritoneum

Senior Member

07-03-2012

The lore is posted in the first page, 3rd or 4th reply.

His lore is HORRIBLE, and mutilates another champion, really amateurs generally do much better jobs writing backstories.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ebonmaw Dragon

Senior Member

07-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperFan View Post
So maybe it was said somewhere in the 57 pages of this thread, but out of laziness I gotta ask. How exactly do I read the lore if I'm not in PBE? I've looked a bit but can't seem to find it, and with only the sneak peek officially out right now I don't have much to go on.
League of Legends Wiki - champions. jayce


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sanguinon

Senior Member

07-03-2012

bump


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Opreich

Senior Member

07-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarnyroth View Post
Bump.
Also: Viktor needs no such technology from such a "frail body" as this mortal. If Jayce was smart, he'd join the glorious evolution.
It seems he has in his release skin,

Full Metal Jayce, just like Viktor.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotRunaan

Writer

07-03-2012
1 of 6 Riot Posts

Hi everyone,

We’ve been keeping an eye on this thread today (and others about Jayce and Viktor), and now that we’ve had a chance to listen to you guys and contemplate your feedback, we wanted to jump in.

Let’s talk about Viktor and Jayce, as we envision them:

We’d like to evolve Viktor into a complex, tormented villain in the League of Legends story, but we also want him to remain the sympathetic – and possibly redeemable – character he’s established to be in his own lore. Tormented and obsessed with the superiority of machines, Viktor is on a slow descent into madness, and he seeks to push his “glorious evolution” – the transformation from man to machine – onto Runeterra at large. His confrontation with Piltover, a place he sees as weak (full of puny-minded scientists who could, after all, be “so much more”) was a step in this direction. The “acolytes” mentioned in Jayce’s bio were not random minions but in fact Zaunite humans Viktor has swayed to his cause (and augmented, of course, with “improvements”). Jayce stood against him, and such opposition is the first setback in Viktor’s plan – something he’ll have to overcome.

Unfortunately, within the storytelling constraints of a bio, we weren’t able to paint this nuanced picture of Viktor as we envision him.

Jayce’s bio is a story about Jayce. This is the way in which the humble inventor became a hero, but it’s also just the beginning of his journey. We wanted to hint at a lot of flaws he’s going to have to overcome: he’s brash, he has trouble with authority, and he’s more than a little arrogant. For example, from anyone’s perspective but his own, destroying Viktor’s lab in its entirety might have been overzealous. Secondly, Jayce ignored the warnings of the Piltover government to strike against Viktor alone, which speaks to his recklessness and arrogance. His actions had the greater good in mind: Jayce truly does embody Piltover’s focus on the purity of science and progress, and Viktor stands directly in opposition to those values. Jayce may have gotten a little bit lucky this time, though. Viktor underestimated Piltover, and thus underestimated Jayce. Things might not turn out so well for the Defender of Tomorrow the next time the two cross paths.

Overall, we want to set the stage for an epic struggle between our two paragons of science in Piltover and Zaun. After listening to your feedback today, we don’t think we quite accomplished that with Jayce’s bio. With that in mind, the Creative team is going to take a look at Jayce’s bio over the coming days and evaluate ways to improve it.

You might think a thread like this would be hard for us to read – but it’s actually incredibly rewarding to hear how passionate you all are about our characters and lore. Thanks for your enthusiastic feedback!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zaerif

Senior Member

07-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRunaan View Post
Hi everyone,

We’ve been keeping an eye on this thread today (and others about Jayce and Viktor), and now that we’ve had a chance to listen to you guys and contemplate your feedback, we wanted to jump in.

Let’s talk about Viktor and Jayce, as we envision them:

We’d like to evolve Viktor into a complex, tormented villain in the League of Legends story, but we also want him to remain the sympathetic – and possibly redeemable – character he’s established to be in his own lore. Tormented and obsessed with the superiority of machines, Viktor is on a slow descent into madness, and he seeks to push his “glorious evolution” – the transformation from man to machine – onto Runeterra at large. His confrontation with Piltover, a place he sees as weak (full of puny-minded scientists who could, after all, be “so much more”) was a step in this direction. The “acolytes” mentioned in Jayce’s bio were not random minions but in fact Zaunite humans Viktor has swayed to his cause (and augmented, of course, with “improvements”). Jayce stood against him, and such opposition is the first setback in Viktor’s plan – something he’ll have to overcome.

Unfortunately, within the storytelling constraints of a bio, we weren’t able to paint this nuanced picture of Viktor as we envision him.

Jayce’s bio is a story about Jayce. This is the way in which the humble inventor became a hero, but it’s also just the beginning of his journey. We wanted to hint at a lot of flaws he’s going to have to overcome: he’s brash, he has trouble with authority, and he’s more than a little arrogant. For example, from anyone’s perspective but his own, destroying Viktor’s lab in its entirety might have been overzealous. Secondly, Jayce ignored the warnings of the Piltover government to strike against Viktor alone, which speaks to his recklessness and arrogance. His actions had the greater good in mind: Jayce truly does embody Piltover’s focus on the purity of science and progress, and Viktor stands directly in opposition to those values. Jayce may have gotten a little bit lucky this time, though. Viktor underestimated Piltover, and thus underestimated Jayce. Things might not turn out so well for the Defender of Tomorrow the next time the two cross paths.

Overall, we want to set the stage for an epic struggle between our two paragons of science in Piltover and Zaun. After listening to your feedback today, we don’t think we quite accomplished that with Jayce’s bio. With that in mind, the Creative team is going to take a look at Jayce’s bio over the coming days and evaluate ways to improve it.

You might think a thread like this would be hard for us to read – but it’s actually incredibly rewarding to hear how passionate you all are about our characters and lore. Thanks for your enthusiastic feedback!
I love you.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Abbx

Senior Member

07-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRunaan View Post
With that in mind, the Creative team is going to take a look at Jayce’s bio over the coming days and evaluate ways to improve it.
All we needed to hear. Thanks!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Atropa Inoxia

Senior Member

07-03-2012

thanks runaan.

my biggest problem with jayces lore was that it made viktor a hypocrite.

can we maybe find some way to villainize viktor without him stealing someones tech...

I mean, i just dont buy it. Viktor can be a villain without being a hypocrite.



after all, viktors hextech is the best. what could he possibly need with jayces tech.

Id believe viktor attacking piltover for no other reason than them opposing the glorious evolution. I dont believe hed try to sneak in and steal some batteries or whatever.