Can we get rid of the "punishments" for queue dodging?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Demona

06-29-2012

Really, it's frustrating having a horrible team composition with people that either don't understand how the game works or don't care. I just had a game where I requested to go bot as Varus and so in response people picked 2 other AD carries and didn't say anything until last second (dodged like a boss.) Another recent instance was when I chose Anivia and immediately after the other summoners chose Annie, Ziggs and Veigar with no signs of anyone wanting to switch. There are just so many times where you look at your team and think "Man, this is going to be awful--I don't want to waste 20-50 minutes of my life with this." (since bad teams like not surrendering)

I understand some penalty--having to log back in is fine; having a short "waiting" period before you can try entering queue again is fine; 5 minutes for the first queue dodge and then increasing after that is not fine. It's not fair to make players choose how they want to waste their time if they want to play League, whether the cause is a bad team or the ridiculous penalties for queue dodging.

My advice:
1st dodge = Log in again like always but no time penalty.
2nd dodge = 3 minute waiting time
3rd dodge and up = 5 minute waiting time

Maybe in draft it's a different story, as that's a much larger time commitment for champion select and whatnot, but I'm mostly griping about classic/blind-pick PVP.

Demona

06-29-2012

AND HAD TO DODGE AGAIN, just now. Someone wanted to go Alistar/Anivia bot. I switched to Renekton and tried to convince Anivia to go mid, but then the other 2 people just picked top champs.

Guess I won't be playing any time soon.

KingSnafu

06-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eneha View Post
Really, it's frustrating having a horrible team composition with people that either don't understand how the game works or don't care. I just had a game where I requested to go bot as Varus and so in response people picked 2 other AD carries and didn't say anything until last second (dodged like a boss.) Another recent instance was when I chose Anivia and immediately after the other summoners chose Annie, Ziggs and Veigar with no signs of anyone wanting to switch. There are just so many times where you look at your team and think "Man, this is going to be awful--I don't want to waste 20-50 minutes of my life with this." (since bad teams like not surrendering)

I understand some penalty--having to log back in is fine; having a short "waiting" period before you can try entering queue again is fine; 5 minutes for the first queue dodge and then increasing after that is not fine. It's not fair to make players choose how they want to waste their time if they want to play League, whether the cause is a bad team or the ridiculous penalties for queue dodging.

My advice:

Maybe in draft it's a different story, as that's a much larger time commitment for champion select and whatnot, but I'm mostly griping about classic/blind-pick PVP.
its there so u cant just dodge till you get the game you want, part of being good at the games being able to work around others (though i admit i go on some long rants on the teams id like to of dodged)

Demona

06-29-2012

There isn't enough time for the rants it'd take to form any sort of competent team. Whenever I dodge, it's after the full time of explaining how positions work and who should go where, and if it's totally unable to be saved, I dodge with 1 or 2 seconds left.

In an ideal world you could figure out team comps and have something you can at least try with, but what am I supposed to do with a full team of AD carries and no one switching? Or when people auto lock? That happens a lot. Three people just locked random top characters; no amount of negotiating can really fix that, especially when they all refuse to jungle. Then they just fight over who gets top.

I understand why the dodge penalty is there, but it's just faulty.

The other problem with people that can't form a decent team is that they usually don't have a fair grasp of how the game is played, or at least every time I've stuck it out with a bad looking team, we get slaughtered. I was essentially carrying a game with Anivia, but when my teammates would run off one by one and die, there's not much I can do.

Part of the problem seems to be match maker, though. I'm level 25 now and only recently (since maybe level 21 or 22) started playing PVP. I played with a friend, who is a level 30 with ~350 wins and a positive ratio, but since we've played together we have both been ending up on teams like this all day long. People refusing to jungle, multiple roles being filled, auto-locking, and then just general idiocy throughout the match itself.

As a side note, is there any recommendation out there for better match making? I thought it might just be in my head, but it's getting unbelievably and intolerably bad. I just ended up on a team that received 12 deaths in the first five minutes just from running non-stop into the enemies. After feeding some more, a couple of them just stood in Baron and danced until enemy Garen came in and practically one hit them. The frustrating part is that I'm consistently outplaying everyone on my team and typically all of the enemies, but my team always seems to be much lower skilled than the opponents and so I keep losing, and it seems like the teams I'm ending up with are worse and worse. I'd start a new account if I hadn't bought RP. Not to sound cocky or anything with that, mind you, but I have been watching my experienced friends play/playing with them on occasion, watching tournaments, reading guides, etc, plus a fair amount of practice (and effing common sense.)

TheOddBreeze

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eneha View Post

My advice:

I dont agree with your solution, because people would just dodge all day, however, a solution to fix this is to emplement what is already in every other game, and that is the option to vote to kick players out of q. no more solo trolls.

copiousfish

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-30-2012

To be fair, the matchmaking system is probably matching you up with a team without a standard composition as well. It's like carrying yourself out of solo queue elo hell. Just roll with the best complementary character to your team as you see fit and it may work, or it may not. It's just a game. There's always something to be learned, especially before hitting 30.

Some of this stuff may apply to your situation.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?p=4782005

Adumu

06-30-2012

I've found myself in a few of these, but i just go with them. Didn't even know I could dodge, tbh. SO, generally, I wait until EVERYONE has chosen their chracter, and then fill whatever role needs to be filled.

More often then not, this leaves me in mid as Veigar, while the other lanes struggle or burst through quickly. It's hit and miss sometimes, but I always think "Hey, maybe I'll run into someone who actually talks about our team composition BEFORE entering the game?"

Best solution to this is to drag along at least one semi-competent friend. That way you know at least two of your team get what is going on.

ooo Sick Boy ooo

06-30-2012

Play draft you are much less likely to run into this problem.

Demona

06-30-2012

I'll likely be trying draft for awhile, although the first draft game I tried last night was the one where my team died 12 times in 5 minutes. :/ And I do choose a character first, but I list all the other positions and champions I'm willing and able to play instead for the sake of team comp. Most people just plain don't talk, is the problem. I adjust regardless of their silence when possible, but I'm usually stuck sitting there thinking "What?"

I'll definitely check out that thread though; thanks for the post.

Not sure if I'm fond of vote-kicking though, as the problem is typically due to more than just one person, but feel free to explain how it works in other games.

A Space Rabbit

06-30-2012

Have you played in PBE recently by any chance? On the new map?
People insta-dodge for whatever reason. And what should be a 1minute process (you get 10 people lined up pretty ****ing fast for an ARAM on murderbridge) becomes a, I **** you not, 6-20minute process.

There should be an even bigger penalty for dodging.