Twisted Treeline Ranked Solo/Duo Queue

First Riot Post
123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JETxGREEN

Senior Member

06-28-2012

Nome shouldnt you let the TT community decide on this. A large part of the community want a ranked q for TT. Also by introducing a ranked solo for 3's I believe their would be a semi decent influx of only 5's players coming to 3's to make their mark. Right now most 5's players consider 3's a joke because their isn't solo/duo ranked for it. They get this awsome number on their account for 5's ranked but nothing for 3's normals or 3's teams. where's the incentive to play?? If you try out 3's solo/duo and advertise the addition to players. I strongly believe it will succeed. Honeslty 3's q times imo normally average between instant to 2 and a half minutes. What type of impact does riot feel adding ranked will have on the game? Do you guys predict that it will double q times? Can you go into a bit more specifics with us? Right now we are your community. You are our leader. I want to say ty for the intrest you've shown in us i just hope it is genuine because i have seen other rioters come on to 3's and talk about changes but nothing has ever happened.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kikhan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

06-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvi View Post
Why is there STILL no solo/duo ranked queues for Twisted Treeline?

This is beyond me, seeing as Riot has been extremely lazy to not implement a new map (wat is magma chambrs lolidunno)
Nor game modes.

For christ's sake, you could at the VERY VERY VERY BARE Minimum copy paste the 1v1 tutorial map and make it queue-able. Be it for 1v1's or 5's (similar to ARAM)

I'm astounded by how dumb this is.

I demand a red to answer!

Lawl wow you are very misinformed.

TT has never had the interest in players playing it for the single/duo population to be high enough for this to be justifiable.

Magma Chamber became Dominion.

The tutorial map was off the basest of the Beta code of the game. It has been finally adapted but, only after alot of work from a good chunk of the engineering team over the last couple of months to get it playable. It is currently playable on the public beta environment. I imagine some form of it will go live at least for custom games by the end of the summer for sure. It was not a simple copy and paste they had to basically rebuild it from the ground up.

Please refrain from the hate till you know more about what you are talking about please.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kikhan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

06-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvi View Post
Wouldn't there be a higher population if solo rank was available?
Or what exactly would be the problem with population/queue times?
Nope there is not a high enough population playing any form of the map since basically day one. There are a number of different reasons for this but, please accept that the map and mode is played by only a small fraction of the population compared to SR and probably even Dominion.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Anvi

Member

06-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikhan View Post
Nope there is not a high enough population playing any form of the map since basically day one. There are a number of different reasons for this but, please accept that the map and mode is played by only a small fraction of the population compared to SR and probably even Dominion.
That's odd. I play 3v3's all day and have never had a problem finding matches. Every now and then I toss the comment of solo queues, to which most players respond positively as well. It'd be nice to see it happen and then judge if it's viable or not.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Anvi

Member

06-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikhan View Post
Lawl wow you are very misinformed.

TT has never had the interest in players playing it for the single/duo population to be high enough for this to be justifiable.

Magma Chamber became Dominion.

The tutorial map was off the basest of the Beta code of the game. It has been finally adapted but, only after alot of work from a good chunk of the engineering team over the last couple of months to get it playable. It is currently playable on the public beta environment. I imagine some form of it will go live at least for custom games by the end of the summer for sure. It was not a simple copy and paste they had to basically rebuild it from the ground up.

Please refrain from the hate till you know more about what you are talking about please.
I know TT is the ******* son Riot doesn't want (and is treated as such) which is a shame, happens to be the map I enjoy best.

Wasn't aware of that. Was pretty sure Dominion and Magma Chambers were two parallel projects. Sucks that they merged ideas, the warp pods and whatnot in chambers sounded interesting.

Tutorial map I deeply disagree about. There can't possibly be that much coding behind modifying a tutorial map OR cutting away parts of a regular Summoner's Rift map. Not enough for it to have taken this long considering they've had a base since the game began, that is.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Les Nomerables

Game Designer

06-28-2012
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieDaPoonBear View Post
Just try it out and see how it goes if it doesn't work discontinue it?
It's not that simple. Turning on queues isn't just an on-off switch. If we do something like this, we're going to need to pull a lot of people off important projects, or allocate them after they finish. Even the "small" task of separating Twisted Treeline and Summoner's Rift normal Elo, which we're trying to do right now, is extremely difficult. So this is more akin to jumping off a cliff in terms of reversibility and commitment than walking over a bump in the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvi View Post
Wouldn't there be a higher population if solo rank was available?
Or what exactly would be the problem with population/queue times?
Chicken and egg argument here regarding support vs. popularity. The problem with high population and queue times is that it's a degradation in game quality, especially when it starts affecting low Elo as well; see Dominion's Normal Draft for a case study.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvi View Post
Tutorial map I deeply disagree about. There can't possibly be that much coding behind modifying a tutorial map OR cutting away parts of a regular Summoner's Rift map. Not enough for it to have taken this long considering they've had a base since the game began, that is.
I worked on Proving Grounds/ARAM, and there was a considerable amount of effort needed to transform it to a playable map. Again, a lot of work isn't just design work, but platform work.


And again, I know you guys value normal draft and solo/duo ranked. Dominion really wants any ranked at all. Both are seeing similar population issues right now, and there's just prerequisites we need to fulfill before the options can be considered. That's about as frank as I can be with it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JETxGREEN

Senior Member

06-28-2012

Honestly though as per my previous post wouldnt their be a large increase in TT ranked players with the induction of TT ranked. I'm talking about summoners rift players. I notice you primarily play summoners rift ranked. Would you as a player want to play TT ranked if it came out? Wouldn't you want to get bronze/silver/gold/platinum elo in TT.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Les Nomerables

Game Designer

06-28-2012
3 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETxGREEN View Post
Honestly though as per my previous post wouldnt their be a large increase in TT ranked players with the induction of TT ranked. I'm talking about summoners rift players. I notice you primarily play summoners rift ranked. Would you as a player want to play TT ranked if it came out? Wouldn't you want to get bronze/silver/gold/platinum elo in TT.
Again, chicken and egg. There's no evidence additional queues increase player count. I primarily play ranked on this account, but I have a few smurfs :P


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JETxGREEN

Senior Member

06-28-2012

Well what can riot do to gather evidence then? Btw sorry if i'm being a little nit picky its just i've been following your posts for awhile and this and the blue side fountain have been really big issues for me. I'm happy to hear your fixing the laser. While i play alot of ranked 3's with my friends it would just be nice to not have to always wait for them to be on. How can we find out if TT ranked would pull in more players to this map?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS148a223fc86b1c4fb2104

Senior Member

06-29-2012

Could we know what's the average %age of games played on TT and Dominion and SR ? That would help me to understand why a soloQ mode (which is the most efficient way to promote a map) isn't even planned for 3v3 or Dominion.
Dominion and 3v3 are considered to be "low elo" or "offtank fest" modes, while high elo players (before you hid normal games elo again) actually showed these mods could be way more interesting than that.

For example in Europe top picks in 3v3 are AD carries and supports, in Dominion a whole metagame was developed by the players and they have their own "unnofficial" tier list (which is quite different from what is usually thought).
In US 3v3 players play a different metagame, but most of the picks in the tier list are different from the common idea of "Trynd+Jax+Mundo".


123