Thornmail

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MyDeadGrandma

06-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIScavengerIx View Post
Thornmail is just what the doctor ordered against the Yi's/Tryn/anyone else who stacks atk spd. When I play Yi usually only one person on the other team gets it, and I run away from them screaming before I shove my sword up my own tookis (sp?) It's a viable option, if you can't build your character around it then I suggest an uninstall.
Really. Whats a thorn mail going to do to the Yi with 400 ap?

OxBaker

06-27-2012

As was pointed out, Thornmail is really just a fix against those summoners that like to build the glass cannon AD/AS champs on Dominion and don't want to build any different.

I just played a match the other day where the other team had a Riven and Fizz that were just tromping on us with heavy AD builds until a couple of us bought thronmail. We came back and won when we were over 300 points behind.

That would never have happened if they either would have just bought some MR or used some other tactics but those that come on the forums and QQ about thornmail only know how to build champs one way.

FDru

06-27-2012

Do you make this thread every week on a schedule or do you just wait for the old one to get downvote closed every time?

DiscworldDeath

06-27-2012

He was gone for like a month or two, heh.

xIScavengerIx

06-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDeadGrandma View Post
Really. Whats a thorn mail going to do to the Yi with 400 ap?
Did I need to spell out every scenario for the less intelligent? Troll away.

PXShaman

06-28-2012

Yeah thornmail is an OP piece of **** that is destroying dominion.
You know it is bad, when 4/5 people on the enemy's team has a thornmail.
It is the cheapest armor piece in the game, and in dominion saving up 2k is nothing.

There is no one way to counter thornmail. You need a combination, such as lifesteal and armor pen, or MR and Lifesteal. Having just Armor pen will just make you kill yourself faster. Having Lifesteal won't help by itself.

It in fact cost more money to counter thornmail then it does to make it. I think Thornmail should be taken out of Dominion, like Warmog's did.

Except replace it with a dumbed down version. Why not? It isn't like it is hard, and it would totally balance out the game.
We do need a dumbed down version, for all the dumb people who buy thornmail then accuse others of not knowing how to build right.

weezcake

06-28-2012

It's fun when your teammates build thornmail against a heavy-AP team..

Otherwise, not that good unless you're playing lots of AD. It's not overpowered and I play mostly AD characters.

Volandum

06-28-2012

Balanced team comps would balance out the game.

Wawix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-28-2012

It's allowed because Dominion balancing towards defenses is still ****ty. Every single defense item is broken, thus rendering ranged AD DPS the second weakest class to play, the first being AP carry.

List of counters to thornmail:
Sanguine blade + negatron cloak. To 'stop hitting yourself' : 3640. Only to counter the passive. Arpen sold separately. (EC + negatron cloak = 2090 but you still **** yourself up and do 0 damage to them.)

Last whisper. To remove IDDQD status on thornmail equipped characters: 2290. Now you deal damage, but your attack is a double-edged sword. derp.

So, you need a combination of 2~3 items that cost more than the thornmail, to effectively counter it. Some champs like ezreal have to avoid core items like Triforce because of this, causing them to be less effective.. And still, if they get any of the other derpy defense items (Warden's Mail, Frozen Heart, Randuinssssssss), all your effort is in vayne(HUEHUEHUAEHA).

They really need to rebalance the items in Dominion, but I doubt they will, because Riot doesn't take Dominion seriously.

DarkTemplar99

06-29-2012

Defense on dominion is strong no matter what it is. If you are able to deal more damage than you are taking, then you will be able to hold points longer and thus win easier. The counter to thornmail is lifesteal, MR, and ArPen. AD's should always get lifesteal, but MR can be bought when you see an enemy start to build it.

I don't think it's much better than FH.