Leona: Comprehensive Discussion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ninbushido

06-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atajo View Post
Leona was the third champion I purchased, and never a purchase I regret, because I have so much fun playing her. On the other hand, it's very much a drag to be pinned to one role because you're bad at everything else, and then to not even be particularly strong at that role.

I am going to disagree with letting Leona proc her own passive if it's for less damage, for a somewhat non-obvious reason. If she's balanced around her own damage, Sunlight does too much when her teammates proc it. If it's balanced around her teammates, you're stealing damage from them as a direct consequence of trying to do your job (E+Q+W combo, say) and lock a player down.
That's true, your suggestions? But, I clarified it was against MINIONS AND MONSTERS, so in team fights it would not be stealing damage from the carries. It would only make Leona viable for jungling, instead of trapping her in the only possible good role for her right now, kill-lane support.
My favorite idea at the moment is to have Leona's passive grant her own spells bonus effects. This would still make her unable to jungle, but at least able to solo top or something. See the list.

Z0nne

06-24-2012

I tried Leona and i build her completely tanky, but its true she has no damage. She needs an ability like Rammus that converts armor/mr into AD. I mean she shouldn't deal a lot of damage considering her high resistance and CC but atleast make her a threat. The way she is now she just gets ignored.

PS Theres a ton of Tanky DPS champions that also have CC (Nunu Blitz) Leona needs a damage buff

Utensil

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-24-2012

She could use some better AP Ratios and probably a little more damage, but really I would just love to be able to proc her passive on neutral monsters so she could jungle.

Lilly Sol Lebeau

06-26-2012

Ever since they messed up Irelia (although I've been told that she's viable again with the recent buff, just haven't really took the time to play her a lot again), I've been playing Leona more so then any other champion, considering her and Irelia were the only two champions that I actually played with tremendous effort. Leona is without a doubt, extremely lacking, and it's really because of her terrible scaling going into mid-late game that negates her effectiveness.

Leona is very good early game, because she can actually do damage, which can produce good results in fights at bottom. However once mid game strolls around, she becomes a completely different champion all together, almost futile and useless. Late game is where she is imo, at her absolute worst, because of her lack of for any consistent DoT or any of the sort.

Skills like stun can be negated with items like merc treads, which in turn limit her so called great CC even more. Her damage has always been laughable, with no real DoT that numerous other tanks can do with great efficiency. Her AP scaling is awful, and the idea of not allowing her to proc her own skill makes no sense.

Her Ulti should fully stun in my opinion, considering again, it's only 1.5 seconds which can be limited with items, limiting its usefulness, not to mention when comparing her Ulti to other tanks ulti's such as Amu, Ram etc, there's really no comparison on whose is more effective.

I would be content with Riot lowering her CD, and allowing her to proc her own skill. Those two changes alone imo would compensate for her lack of damage, because she could then string more of her skills in succession producing better DoT results which in turn would make her a viable threat that would absolutely garner attention for being targeted in team fights.

However Riot refuses to either read, listen or take any initiative on the matter. I've been advocating change for Leona since nearly the time of her showcasing from last year, however it seems they think she's fine the way she is *rolls eyes*.

Alithalor

06-26-2012

With some CDR you are stunning what every 4ish seconds for 1.5 seconds and for .5 seconds (remember zBlade stuns as well). Also, if you use Defense Masteries and Runes she becomes incredibly hard to kill with very few items. She is pretty disruptive if you know what you are doing. It's not hard to lock down 1-2 Champions for most of team fight. Plus your Ult has crazy range and the CD is pretty good.

Baellor

06-27-2012

Leona needs higher damage output, her tank and CC are fine, her CC is only rivaled by a few champs in the game, but the bigger problem is that she lacks any real damage for end game.

Some builds for tanky bruiser Leona are:

Merc Treads, Wits End, MBR, Cloak of flames, abysmal, (last item can be anything that adds lots of hp/hp regen like warmogs). This is very expensive for Leona to build - provides for decent tank (not the best) and good dps as everything works off the synergy of the abysmal scepter and her W skill, with 9/21 masteries ( to include CD in both offensive and defensive and the 10% magic pen in offensive) and going with per level health quints, armor seals, mr glyphs and flat magic pen marks. This build works best with AD heavy teams.

(2) Merc Treads, Warmogs, Atmas, Maw, Trinity, GA or Aegis. This build requires you go more glassy offtank, 21/9 runes, using the physical attack side of the offensive tree, 2 each in armor and mr, 4 in hp, 1 in 3rd row hp on the defensive side. Runes would be pretty much the same, change out the magic pen marks for dual pen marks. This build works well for AP heavy teams.

I have yet to come up with a decent hybrid damage build, they all end up way to glass for an offtank setup.

As you notice - both builds that provide any type of damage output also cripple your CDR, which means you have to less overall tank ability due to the fact that your W Skill will not be up as often nor will you be able to stun as often. Both builds are extremely expensive for Leona and are normally not attainable without hurting your carries or jungle by taking valuable minion kills from them.

Overall Leona is my favorite tank champion, but realistically, even Sej is more viable as a tank than Leona. I can easily out tank and out damage Leona with a mana build Taric and provide just as much, if not more utility for the team.

ninbushido

06-27-2012

Heck, at least Sejuani has a consistent DPS spell that scales off her maximum health. Leona has a ****ty burst combo, with no sustained damage and her burst scales off AP...with some of the lowest AP ratios in the game. Leona's playstyle is unique, but I agree with you, realistically even the underrated Sejuani and Taric tank do better.

RosabellaHearts

06-27-2012

she has no consistent damage output thats why people usually get sunfire cape on her shes more of a burst tank kinda like amumu but without consistent damage skills

Dark Kuno

06-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baellor View Post
Leona needs higher damage output, her tank and CC are fine, her CC is only rivaled by a few champs in the game, but the bigger problem is that she lacks any real damage for end game.

Some builds for tanky bruiser Leona are:

Merc Treads, Wits End, MBR, Cloak of flames, abysmal, (last item can be anything that adds lots of hp/hp regen like warmogs). This is very expensive for Leona to build - provides for decent tank (not the best) and good dps as everything works off the synergy of the abysmal scepter and her W skill, with 9/21 masteries ( to include CD in both offensive and defensive and the 10% magic pen in offensive) and going with per level health quints, armor seals, mr glyphs and flat magic pen marks. This build works best with AD heavy teams.

(2) Merc Treads, Warmogs, Atmas, Maw, Trinity, GA or Aegis. This build requires you go more glassy offtank, 21/9 runes, using the physical attack side of the offensive tree, 2 each in armor and mr, 4 in hp, 1 in 3rd row hp on the defensive side. Runes would be pretty much the same, change out the magic pen marks for dual pen marks. This build works well for AP heavy teams.

I have yet to come up with a decent hybrid damage build, they all end up way to glass for an offtank setup.

As you notice - both builds that provide any type of damage output also cripple your CDR, which means you have to less overall tank ability due to the fact that your W Skill will not be up as often nor will you be able to stun as often. Both builds are extremely expensive for Leona and are normally not attainable without hurting your carries or jungle by taking valuable minion kills from them.

Overall Leona is my favorite tank champion, but realistically, even Sej is more viable as a tank than Leona. I can easily out tank and out damage Leona with a mana build Taric and provide just as much, if not more utility for the team.
The problem is that builds like that require her to either be solo or jungler. Neither role she can perform because of her current design and the fact that she has no passive when alone mean that the only role she can adequately perform is agressive support in a kill lane. And a support doesn't have the gold income to build the way she would have to be built to actually be a threat in and of herself.

Cinnamon Twist

06-27-2012

I think this is a great discussion. She really has the fun aspect of the game down. It's just being a fun to play champion doesn't mean they fit into the game well. I really hope to get a riot response out of this thread.