An Introduction and Setting Expectations

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xKamius

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNome View Post
Hey guys!

Though we've already become acquainted, consider this our formal introduction. I am the new designer on Twisted Treeline, Dominion, and Proving Grounds. This means that I am a liaison between the community and the live design team, and will provide support on gameplay-related matters, including balance, itemization, mechanics, and bug fixes. This does not include non-gameplay concerns such as matchmaking, queue times, or competitions, though I will escalate and champion them across departments when possible.

I wish to work not just for the community, but with the community, and this means that the effectiveness of our relationship is implicit upon a mutual understanding. I will be happy to provide design input, but in return, expect that debates will be logical and objective. For clarity, I ask that thread titles be reflective of their subject matter; there is no need to draw my attention with "RiotNome", as I will read and respond to all relevant subjects. If you have multiple issues to discuss, start a separate thread for each issue to keep discussions relevant, separate, and on-topic. I will try to address topics across all English-speaking realms, though if there is something deserves an immediate response, you may contact me on Twitter (@RiotNome). Finally, if you have personal or non-topical questions, you may ask them here.

I look forward to improving Dominion together!
That first part already made you my favorite red

Thornmaelstrom

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-26-2012

Some cautionary words regarding Ranked Dominion; When you implement it, remove Normal Draft-pick Dominion as an option. The LoL community and Dominion player base may be growing, but it will only hurt the community to split it up further amongst separate queues.
Summoner's Rift got away with it, but there will come a time when people will rue having too many options and not enough players to match them adequately 24/7.

All alternate game-modes will benefit most from only having 2 'Game-Type' options.

Hugo Mann

06-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestrinast View Post
Some cautionary words regarding Ranked Dominion; When you implement it, remove Normal Draft-pick Dominion as an option. The LoL community and Dominion player base may be growing, but it will only hurt the community to split it up further amongst separate queues.
Summoner's Rift got away with it, but there will come a time when people will rue having too many options and not enough players to match them adequately 24/7.

All alternate game-modes will benefit most from only having 2 'Game-Type' options.
I personally agree with this. I'd like for fragmentation to be reduced before creating ranked Dominion so the community can be better concentrated.

Cauldrath

06-26-2012

I think this officially means I can start buying RP again.

dafedidi

06-26-2012

I know you made some FPS improvement for 5v5.

There is a lot of "things" in dominion that cause low fps. Can you make some improvement there ?

Noetherian

06-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNome View Post

There are some responses I've made in other threads that you may be able to dig up, but the gist of it is that we have no impending plans for ranked Dominion and that it rests on several issues being resolved first. I'm sorry, I can't go into much detail here. I know how important ranked Dominion is to you guys.
If there are no near-term plans for ranked Dominion, might it be possible to get normal Dominion ELO "unhidden" (i.e, accessible via third-party tools). I understand that since there exists ranked Summoner's Rift, Riot wants to hide normal game ELO. (This makes sense, on SR if you want to know your ELO, just play ranked.) However, if we don't have the option of playing ranked on Dominion, it would be nice if you allowed motivated players to determine their normal-game ELO.

Phourc

06-26-2012

Yay Nome! Glad you're serving in an official capacity of letting us know we're not forgotten xP

Found an old Brackhar-post, doubt it's a coincidence you've been hitting most of his points in your posts on this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
I'm not part of the live team so unfortunately I'm not up to date on their QA pipeline, thus it's risky for me to say stuff is coming soon or not. My high level priorities right now are:

1) Continue the re-evaluation of the respawn system. We likely need a replacement to the window approach to get rid of some of the odd incentives it creates, but I'm unsure what the correct solution is that still hits the original goals the respawn windows were created to solve.

2) Spice up bot lane some more. My theory is that some small adjustments to how vision is given on the bottom lane may help make the area more palatable to non-standard strats, but talks are ongoing.

3) Add more caster items.

4) Generally try to improve the reinforcement in positive actions. This is an across the board goal that touches on a lot of things - kills, captures, quests, etc. - and extend from subtle UI improvements to larger scale system changes like the respawn rework in #1.

5) Continue to evaluate champion balance and be on watch for whether item solutions are sufficient.

Those are just my priorities though.
I actually made a thread on the first one (the last big topic I've yet to see discussed, IMO), link if anyone here's interested: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...6#post26167446

Snoop Nome

Game Designer

06-26-2012
3 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phourc View Post
Yay Nome! Glad you're serving in an official capacity of letting us know we're not forgotten xP

Found an old Brackhar-post, doubt it's a coincidence you've been hitting most of his points in your posts on this forum

I actually made a thread on the first one (the last big topic I've yet to see discussed, IMO), link if anyone here's interested: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...6#post26167446
We worked closely together on Proving Grounds, but we came to similar conclusions on Dominion separately. It's a good sign!

It's aslo quite interesting bouncing ideas off him, because some of the wackier solutions I've wanted to try, they've already tried during development.

Ragkval

06-26-2012

Your honesty and willingness for open discussion is what makes it a treat to have you here. I hope to see much much more from you in the future.

Btw, are you related to the travelocity nome? :P

ArturFel

06-26-2012

coollll