[Guide] Kassadin, The Guardian Of The Rift (AP DPS build) -SmecssRaege-

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SmecssRaege

11-07-2009

by nature? yes
does that mean he should be pigeon-holed into that function? no

with a silence, an in-and-out method (riftwalk) and very strong upfront damage
(riftwalk>melee w/ lichbane > silence > force pulse > melee with lich bane > rift walk > melee with lichbane) is a pretty vicious amount of frontloaded damage.

you are looking at the first 5 in the cycle happening in approximately 3 seconds (which is how long silence lasts for almost) which is a pretty hard beating for any caster to absorb really, and after that first 5, if you chose to not go for the kill, you can riftwalk out and wait for cooldowns, and jump back in 3 seconds later

andrewdadar01

11-07-2009

Althought Riot has made some complex moves, I don't feel they have blurred the lines between roles. The moves, once understood, are still based on the basic role of tanker, DD, or caster.

A tanks job imho is to either get to the caster and start interfering, or take the right damage at the right time, and juke like hell.

Although Kassadin looks great just dealing damage, chances are he is the champion on your team who is best setup to stop casters, and juke with low HP%.

Kurooni

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmecssRaege View Post
i didnt realize i had 7 items, but i have changed the original post to display them as "alternate to archangels" as i feel the other items are much more necessary, archangel's is just something that is nice, because running the items i run, you get a huge mana cap

(Zhonya's, Rod of Ages, Tear/Archangels is like +2,000 mana nearly)
Thanks for the change and your prompt response.

SmecssRaege

11-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurooni View Post
Thanks for the change and your prompt response.
All the thanks is deserved to you :P

I can't beleive no one else spotted that oversight until today xD

SmecssRaege

11-07-2009

couple of updates ...nothing major though

The Senate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2009

Kassadin is burst damage. He doesn't inflict AP scaling damage fast enough or sustainably enough to be a true blue definition DPS champion. It has nothing to do with your guide, I just think it's funny that there are still people who think Kassadin is that kind of damage dealer.

I like your guide, though, as I support pretty much all AP Kassadin builds. However, I still recommend dropping the Archangel's staff for an earlier Rod of Ages across the board with AP Kassadin. If you're conservative with your mana, you don't need an Archangel's Staff worth of mana regen.

If you need that mana regen to play Kassadin, you're only going to make it take longer to get killing power.

Consider stacking Rods of Ages on Kassadin just to get an feel for how it is to sacrifice mana regen for a large mana reserve and more killing power. I highly recommend it.

SmecssRaege

11-07-2009

with this build my mana cap sits at around 3.5k (3k pre-zhonyas)

that gives archangels a pretty commanding 105 damage without zhonyas effect

the only item that beats this kind of AP out is mejais and zhonyas itself =P

but to be fair, i will gladly try out your suggestions and see how i like em :-)

and by no means is the archangels staff necessary for the mana regen....i buy it for the power it gives + the cap, although i guess for the same price i could be looking at

(RoA x2 vs RoA+Arch)

1450 health
1450 mana
160 AP

vs.

725 health
1400ish mana (not sure what the archangels invisible cap is)
185 ap
25 mp/5

it kinda comes down to a preference i guess, i will gladly try RoA, and see how i like it and if i find it to be better i will switch out the archangels for an RoA in the item build

SmecssRaege

11-07-2009

Using Item Build:

Catalyst
boots 1 (never upgraded)
Mejais
Rod of Ages

Game #1
Laned with: Evelynn (fairly good player)
Laned against: Rammus + Corki (corki was maeh, rammus was ok at best)

got to lvl 6 no deaths, me and evelyn pretty much rofl stomped them from there on

game ended pretty fast (25-30m surrender)

11-0-6 (28-30ish kills total...they only had like 6..kind of a ROFL stomp game)

Game #2
Laned with: Cho'gath (was maeh, lots of missed ruptures, and had no vorpal spikes)
Laned against: Blitzcrank + Mundo (both were pretty good, very few misses on cleaver/hook)

(Their full team: Alistar, Malphite, Blitz, Mundo, Teemo) 4 tanks FTL -.-

Couple deaths pre lvl 6 but was still getting decent creep kills

Teemo swapped over around lvl 7 in place of blitz and got a kill or two off him

They basically started 5 man gank squadding around level 10 and NEVER stopped doing it the rest of the game (and killed baron at like level 12 -.- )

But i was able to score last hits and victimize teemo and generally avoid most of their sick crowd controls =-/

definately would have died 5 or more times had i have not had the HP of 2 catalysts at the time

so far i am definately liking what this method has to offer very much and am pretty close to changing my original post to reflect this build... (although it would just end up being like yours in the end o_O)

Thinking:
Catalyst
Boots 1
Mejai's Soulstealer
Rod of Ages
Rod of Ages (also considered getting zhonya's here, and getting banshee's instead of rod #2)
Zhonya's Ring

The Senate

11-08-2009

Hahaha, wow. Don't change your guide!

I've said this in various Kassadin discussions, but the general rule of thumb with Kass is this:

If you are a good player and you have a good early game, you can set yourself up to do good with Kassadin with just about any items.

I think you could do good with a mana regen build with Archangel's.

I think you could do good with a pseudo melee Lich Bane build.

I think you could do good with a defensive -CD build with Frozen Heart

And I KNOW I've done good with HP/AP/MP only builds with Rod of Ages.

Now here's the bad news: They're nerfing Soulstealer. It's going to have a cap on mana return. I heard it was like 250 MP, which for Kassadin isn't even his full spell combo. That means after this nerf, late game Kassadin is going to be much more golem rune reliant.

Lately I've been playing RoA -> Boots of Mobility -> Zhonya's, to try to get myself out of the habit of Soulstealer.

SmecssRaege

11-08-2009

i would still get it probably though, it is the most amazing amount of AP for all of like 1800gold

even if the mana return gets nerfed, i will still probably buy it for the damage it offers (even then, 250 mana is still 250 mana into your pool to continue fighting :P)

and if mejai's is nerfed, that would give my archangels build a bit more credit for the regen it offers xD

or i guess there is always the golem too >.> (as i am like you, i've pretty much always used smite on kassadin, and when i first read your good i was like hooray someone ele that does too! XD)

and i also really don't beleive zhonya's is worth it that early (personally)

180AP +25% bonus is likean extra 45 AP .... but you are paying like nearly 4k gold for 140AP when mejai's gives the same amount for 1800 gold (if charged) and offeres mana returns =P

RoA > BoM > Mejais > Zhonyas i could see doing

i think im just too huge of a fanboy for mejai's i guess >.>