A Thornmail that only works for melee attacks

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Infirc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-25-2012

Well i actually like Thornmail and don't want to see it removed because despite being situational it's a surefire way to counter a lot of champions specially if they are still giving you troubles after you bought a fozen heart, so my suggestion is that seeing that Thornmail is the cherry on the top of the unviability of ranged carries why not replacing it wiith something whose passive only affects melee auto attacks?

Something like this
Studded Armor
Armor 100
Recipe:Cloth armor+chain vest
Stats: Armor 100
Conversion cost:800 (it loses the ability to return one type of AA so its convertion cost should be cheaper)
Total cost 1800
Unique passive
Returns 30% of the damage from melee autoattacks dealt to the wearer

That would make a little more room for AD range's viability on Dominion. Thornmail gets to stay the same for Proving grounds and Summonner's rift and Dominion gets the new tonned down thornmail

We could also go further and make the studded armor a third level item component adding a passive that returns the damage from physical skills

what do you think guys?.

VoidInsanity

06-25-2012

Thornmail needs a buff if anything. It's horrible compared to Randuins and Frozen heart, worthless vs anyone that buys lifesteal (thats everyone) hence is highly situational.

DiscworldDeath

06-25-2012

I think people need to realize this isn't SR, the AD carries aren't going to be way more fed than the enemy bruiser, and there might be 2-3 enemy bruisers, and maybe actually get some defenses of their own, so as not to explode when sneezed at.

People are also overstating the non-viability of ranged AD carries - they need to care about positioning more than anything else, just like on SR.

Infirc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscworldDeath View Post
I think people need to realize this isn't SR, the AD carries aren't going to be way more fed than the enemy bruiser, and there might be 2-3 enemy bruisers, and maybe actually get some defenses of their own, so as not to explode when sneezed at.

People are also overstating the non-viability of ranged AD carries - they need to care about positioning more than anything else, just like on SR.
XD i have nothing against thornmails, i just want to see more ranged auto attackers on DOminion, and want to suggest this before more people keep pressing just to remove thornmail, because a removed thornmail is the last thing i want.

Phourc

06-25-2012

that's actually not a bad idea, though I'm not sure how much that would actually help ranged AD.

DiscworldDeath

06-25-2012

As I said, you're underestimating ranged AD carries, you'll note I said nothing about Thornmail in my post.

Risemix

06-25-2012

I think ranged AD just needs a new suite of items for Dominion.

Unlike most champions ranged ADs ARE their items, that's how they're designed. They have very low bases and rely on their auto attacks (plus a built-in steroid) to serve their primary function.

It just takes too long for them to become relevant. Dominion needs a line of mid-level items specifically for AD carries that transition into better late-game choices if they choose.

I seem to be alone in my assessment that most AD carries are worthless, but in my opinion they're silly on Dominion until very late game because they're just not scary and have nowhere to hide. In addition, there are several AD carries that need mobility buffs for ALL game modes, and those are especially poor on CS.

Helixes

06-25-2012

I don't get the point of this. it's thronmail that is 200 gold cheaper. How is this toned down.

FDru

06-25-2012

Because we see so much AD Yi, AD Sion and Tryndamere in Dominion.

Get real. Melee AD carries are way more affected by thornmail than ranged.

Redenbacher

06-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risemix View Post
I think ranged AD just needs a new suite of items for Dominion.

Unlike most champions ranged ADs ARE their items, that's how they're designed. They have very low bases and rely on their auto attacks (plus a built-in steroid) to serve their primary function.

It just takes too long for them to become relevant. Dominion needs a line of mid-level items specifically for AD carries that transition into better late-game choices if they choose.

I seem to be alone in my assessment that most AD carries are worthless, but in my opinion they're silly on Dominion until very late game because they're just not scary and have nowhere to hide. In addition, there are several AD carries that need mobility buffs for ALL game modes, and those are especially poor on CS.
In my opinion, there are some good mid-range AD items, if you don't follow the cookie-cutter IE PD rush. I stopped doing that whenever I play an AD carry just for that reason.

Phage, Hexdrinker, Zeal, Brutalizer - all great cheap items you can purchase to get rolling before you jump in to the huge IE investment. Every time I play Graves (the only ranged AD I play semi-regularly), I take that route to get well rounded earlier and stomp the enemy ranged AD at all points in the game (including an enemy Graves in blind), because they're dumping all their gold in to rushing that IE, leaving them missing key stats like AS, movement speed, survivability, etc. Now, Graves borders on the line where ranged AD, AD caster, and bruiser converge... so perhaps not the best example, but the point stands that rushing IE/PD leaves you lacking for far too long.