Which matchmaking 'issue' is the most important to you? (See post for more details!)

1) AFKs in Champion Select Lobby 4,802 36.37%
2) Duo-Queue Elo Disparities in Ranked 987 7.47%
3) Skilled Ranked Players in Normal Modes 648 4.91%
4) Premade Matching 659 4.99%
5) Transitioning from Normal to Ranked Mode 1,325 10.03%
6) Free to Play Champions in Ranked Mode 799 6.05%
7) Random Champions in Ranked Mode 639 4.84%
8) Provisional Matches in Ranked 698 5.29%
9) Duo Queue Prevalence in Ranked 408 3.09%
10) Level Disparities 628 4.76%
11) Team Margin of Victory 1,612 12.21%
Voters: 13205. You may not vote on this poll

After Hours with Matchmaking and Lyte

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dex7ter

06-17-2012

blitz buy this 3 items and few wards only, i realy want to thx riot for they tribunal and fantastic tools that dont works at all, and my epic duo thx lazy riot stuff

most toxic and troll game in history of moba

Musche

06-17-2012

#5, not for me, but for the players who hit level 30 then instantly go into ranked and get roflstomped

ZenithZephyr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-17-2012

More than anything I am concerned about no queue dodge penalty in dominion, which has destroyed the draft queue, forcing even the top dom tourney players to switch to blind.

isobold

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banuvan View Post
Except that one person can ruin an entire game for 4 other people. It just happened...again in my game.
I didn't say it wouldn't happen, nor did I say it should be tolerated. I said such stuff increases your Elo in the long run, since the enemy team will suffer from it more often than you do.

Quote:
Don't say this doesn't have an adverse effect on the ranking of 4 other people either. We lost ranking. That is an adverse effect from the actions of 1 person.
Did you count the number of times you got free Elo from such a thing happening to the enemy team? It has no (negative) effect on your Elo, since Elo is NOT build from one game, but from all your games. Out of 100 games, you might maybe even lose 40 due to such stuff happening, but at the same time you will win 50 games due to such stuff happening to the enemies!

Did you suffer? Sure, 90% of your games got ruined in this example.
Did it affect your Elo? Sure, you won Elo from 10 games (50 games free Elo win, 40 games free Elo loss, difference == 10 games). So it didn't affect your Elo in a negative way.

Quote:
ELO was not designed for a team game where there are so many different factors. It doesn't work.
You are plain wrong. The matter is complex, but the comic I made is kept simple, so that even pre-high-school-kids can understand it. Read it carefully. If you want to argue against it, do it with math or get out.

This "ELO was not designed for a team game" is bull****. It's like saying: "Teflon is bad for cooking, it wasn't designed to be applied to nonstick frying pans".

Erem

06-17-2012

I like you guys discussion and most of you are raging about all the troll players and such, but a bigger problem is the afk ones at least in my eyes. When someone leaves their game afk in ranked the players usually realize "Hey, This guy is afk" so someone is forced to queue dodge. The worst part of this is that since they get automatically put back into queue players will meet them again and again and again and again. Resulting in god knows how many dodge and remakes and I know these piss you off. My suggestion is that maybe riot put a report feature in the champion select screen, or make it so that if a queue is broken the person has to manually re-enter queue. While it is troublesome to re-enter queue every time a queue is broken it would make it so that the afk players don't get back in and continually ruin the game for others, and it would disencourage people that simply troll the champion select since it would be a real pain in the ass doing it over and over again

Bad Morde Bot

06-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex7ter View Post
blitz buy this 3 items and few wards only, i realy want to thx riot for they tribunal and fantastic tools that dont works at all, and my epic duo thx lazy riot stuff

most toxic and troll game in history of moba
So how did Fizz get 10 kills?

ThaddeusMike

06-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Encouraging players to communicate is a good thing. Forcing players to do so, with the threat of a Tribunal ban or other punishment is a bad thing.

I'm actually removing a lot of the Report options in the near future.
So, how should people be forced to communicate?

I am entirely serious here. With the exception of the language barrier (sidenote for the sake of curiosity: how close are you to a scenario that justifies a Brasilian or SA server?), communication is not difficult. In fact, if you so much as type in Portuguese at least I learn that you speak a language other than English and thus might have a reason for not saying much in champ select. Previous posts have gone into why lack of communication hurts the game. So, we have a thing that is bad for the game that is, for people in good faith, easy to avoid. Why are we not punishing people for failing to do a basic, easy thing that is unquestionably good for the game?

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

06-17-2012
239 of 362 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nores View Post
But say If I want to dodge(say I got counter-picked , or I don't like certain champions on my team ) with no elo penalty in place ? - then I can simply lock in eve or some such and make sure the game is super toxic from champ select. Chances are other people will dodge and incur the penalty on themselves

You can try this yourself - go into normal draft mode and try make other people dodge on your team as much as possible. I can do that 80-90% of the time if I want
Even before the patch changes, what stopped you from picking Eve and trying to force players to queue dodge and intentionally being toxic?

The purpose of this change isn't to curb all toxicity in Champ Select Lobby--we have other things in the works for that. The main purpose of this change is to stop players abusing the -Elo penalty to drop their Elo on purpose to stomp on lower skilled players.

Lyte

06-17-2012
240 of 362 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khammurapi View Post
Lyte, there needs to be a penalty for dodging dominion queues.
I'll look into this on Monday.

Lyte

06-17-2012
241 of 362 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Garnet View Post
I don't agree with your 1700 to 1300 example for a few reasons. First of all, assuming this is implemented, no one is going to dodge 40 games (10 Elo per dodge), at least not in a short period of time, so no one is going to sudden experience huge Elo gaps in the MM system.
There are already players who dodge 100-125 times in a row in a few hours on purpose, dropping their Elo to 300 to stomp newer players. This is why we are even testing alternate queue dodge penalties.

Quote:
Also, it's EXTREMELY easy to state this change on the patch preview/notes. It's easy to understand (Visible = Invisible - 10 * Dodges; I frankly think any 10 years old can understand the formula itself), so it's pretty easy to keep everyone informed. After a few months after implementation, we may perhaps see an 1700 player meeting 1300 player; at that stage, probably everyone has read the patch notes, so everyone knows that if he is playing against someone with significantly lower Elo, it's because that player dodged a lot of games.
Actually, very few players read the patch notes, which is why we often have to describe important changes directly in-game.

At the very core, by definition, your visible Elo should represent your skill level. Adding leaver scores or queue dodge frequencies to your visible Elo simply means it is no longer displaying a score relevant to your skill and that's why it's a less than ideal solution.