Katarina training, any advices?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Insípid

06-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviant View Post
Haha, You just picked up on something a lot of people don't think about. As someone who used to play her a lot, that passive has gotten me so many quadra's and near pentas (Always stolen from me ) that I don't see why I should be getting CDR. Also, being that her skills go down to really low CD's, 4 second Shunpo I think, and 6 seconds on BB, there is no need for this.

What I'd suggest doing is, grab revolver early, then build into Rylais if you don't activate items a lot, or finish hextech if you do. The slow will help you to net kills, and let you snowball from there. Also, something you might not have picked up on yet is the range on BB is actually longer than that of your ult, so attack order should be Shunpo with KI, ult, and BB as they get out of range.

But back to build. Personally, I grab Gunblade, rylai's, Abyssal, Deathcap and Zhonya's and boots. The slow from Gunblade might seem a little excessive, but it is a 300 damage nuke that can help to secure an early kill in the team fight, thereby refreshing your CDs and allowing you to escape or secure another kill. Otherwise, you are building for decent survivability, while continuing to dish out the damage.

As for mids, if they have a stun or an interrupt, usually it's a bad idea to challenge them, but you can always work around it. If it's a skill shot stun, shunpo to them when they are in their minions, making sure that your shunpo will place you with minions between them and you (As they run). If it's not a skill shot, then juke into a bush and ult. And for specific characters like Anivia (Don't fight her) and Cassiopeia (Shunpo, turn, then ult) you might have to find other ways to pull off your ult.
i dnt like rylais on kat. If anything its gunblade, deathcap, DFG, then zhonyas. allowing for the max output early game. being tanky early game is ineffective on a damage dealer. build rylais after core dmg build and also anivia has no crucial cc...her cc is on her Q which will never hit u at max range since you're always close up

TraxisPKC

06-17-2012

If you play Kata, you use active items. There's no "If you don't like to activate them"
You buy Hextech, you use hextech. In situational games you get a DFG to, you make use of that, firing it half a second before the hextech for maximum damage, slow, easy kills. Zhonyas is an item you get in 80% of Kata games, if not more. You use it when you're gonna die and you need to wait on shunpo CD to escape. Not using actives means you're wasting money.

As with Rylais, as TiensiNoAkuma said, if you buy it, you're basically saying "I'll slow the enemies so you guys can kill them". You're the AP carry in pretty much all of your kata games, you need the kills. Rylais doesn't provide enough damage, has an uneeded slow that Hextech gives, and the 500 health is half a second longer of life. It's not worth the money at all.

Enasael

06-17-2012

Thanks for tons of information guys! Going to experiment a bit with all you presented here. Someone mentioned that Kata loses most lanes, but what are the matchups that won't make big trouble for her at mid? And against who I shouldn't even think of taking her? Randomness in Dominion helps me learn how to fight against various champions, but like I said I want to move on to Summoners Rift soon, so I just want to know when I have this opportunity to play her (don't want to ruin game for other when I'll not be able to farm and get items). Definetly, I won't pick Kata when I see Blitz on enemy team, he is so annoying :P

Domitan

06-17-2012

They've already said plenty of the good tips, but Kat is my favorite champ so I have to share a little.

The best items for Katarina to consider: Deathfire Grasp, Hextech Gunblade, Sorc Boots, Abyssal Scepter, Rabadons. Everything else is really situational (chain vest can be good to counter ad).

Almost never ever get Rylais.. ever. You job as carry is to kill and spending 3100 gold to acquire 80 ap is incredibly depressing. Scarra (big kat player, 2300+ elo, team Dignitas) said that on stream once about Kat at Rylai's. You're basically slowing them down... as a burst champion who can't do anything after your initial combo. Rylai's belongs on constant damage output champs like Akali, Karthus, Cassiopeia.

If you don't already, Boots x3 pots is the way to go my friend.

Edit:
The most effective way to use your combo when bursting someone is to Shunpo, Ult, and as they reach max range of Q you throw Q. This ensures you have the most daggers hitting them when you surprise them with your combo, toss in an ignite and you have a powerful combo that will waste many flashes (which won't outrange your Q).

One more thing, don't be afraid to use your combo in lane just to harass and back off. Your ultimate's cooldown is fairly low and will be up again before they back (or they were forced back and you have an advantage anyways). But try not to waste it if your jungler is nearby and may gank in the next 30 s, you want that for damage output.

Will Schleicher

06-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enasael View Post
Someone mentioned that Kata loses most lanes, but what are the matchups that won't make big trouble for her at mid? And against who I shouldn't even think of taking her?
Anyone who can't silence or stun isn't too difficult for Kat to lane against. Her hard counters are Annie, Sion, Kassadin, Leblanc, Pantheon, and Talon. Any other champs you can just outplay with skill (I could be missing a few.)

Farming creeps is still doable with bouncing blade in these lanes, but if you want some kills you're better off roaming to other lanes for ganks, and odds are these guys will lock you down in team fights.

TraxisPKC

06-17-2012

Hard Counters (You won't win unless you have a huge skill advantage):
- Viktor
- LeBlanc in laning
- Soraka who knows how to play AP Soraka

Soft Counters (Issues, but with a good jungler you can get an advantage and win):
- Kassadin
- Veigar who knows when to stun
- Talon
- AP Sion

There are obviously others, but basically CC with good harass can take you out or prevent you from faming. Viktor is by far the hardest in my opinion, because his laser has a ton of range and harass, and he can negate your harass with his shield thing. His ult also makes yours null.

Anyone else isn't to hard I find, Ziggs if they harass can be a pain, but it's still easily winnable.

Also, a core build that I use:
Boots, 3x Pots
Make Hextech Revolver
Depending on the money you have when you go back
Pickaxe -> Bilgewater
or
Sorcerer's Boots
And then finish the full Hextech.

From there, if you're the most damage on your team, get Rabadons, but in most cases look for abyssal or zhonyas, depending on whos fed and whos getting you killed. After 1 or both, pick up a rabadons, finish the other if you havent. That's 5 items, the core being boots hextech and rabadons while getting the defensive items as needed.

ButtePirates

06-17-2012

I main Katarina and have to say she is one of the most fun champions in League! First of you will always find ppl hating on Kat! So just ignore them. Kat imo can lane effectively against any AP in the game, its just different playstyles for different AP's. For example If the AP needs skill shot combos I thrive against them. Lets say Morgana is the opponent for example, she has to land the dark binding in order to do damage to you, and or disrupt your ulti. So why not dodge it . When she casts it shunpo to the enemy and hit them with a bouncing blade. You just greatly won the exchange and may be able to push her out of the lane quickly. Based on how you are feeling, using you ultimate as just harass is fine. Dont feel like you have to save it, the cooldown is only 50secs without her passive. And it does lots of damage. Another thing switch your flat AP runes for Mvmt Spd quints. Helps you chase down enemies and get in range of a shunpo(either offensive of defensive). Learning to ward jump is also something to help you get better. I recently learned to do this and id say im averaging about 3 more kills per game and 2 less deaths as well. In SR you also have to watch CC. I am not afraid of CC, like all the flamers on your team will be but you have to take in account all the ways that the enemy can interrupt you. So keep an eye out in team fights for cc to be used, just skirt the fight throwing blades. If the enemy waits to blow the cc on you and you never go in, then you have given your team an advantage. Once the fight has been going on a few seconds both teams will be displaced so keep an eye on where to go. Ive been playing Kat about a 2 months and already have 4pentas. Another tip is if you ever see a featured game with "Judy Monica" WATCH IT! He is a great player and only plays kat! Well most of the time, he is currently ranked in the top 30 i believe so its worth it!

Enasael

06-19-2012

Going to practise some more on dominion, and onward to Summoners rift. Thanks for the help, and advices guys and/or girls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraxisPKC View Post
- Soraka who knows how to play AP Soraka
Something like this? :

(attachements is small I don't know why, here's the link from where I found it: HERE)

Hirumonogatari

06-19-2012

it may just be me, but i find it difficult to shunpo effectively when using kat (i.e. as gap closer, as escape, etc etc)

it may just be my 400 ping, though...

Dr Sneeble

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraxisPKC View Post
Learn from the pro himself. These 29 tips and tricks videos make you a pro, and he mains Katarina in 2300 ELO games, and has some Kata specific tips on his channel as well. He made me a much better Kata player, to the point of carrying 4 trolls if I have a good early game and no one else does.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTxldaFrpxA
^ This.