New to the Roleplaying Forums?

1234511 ... 34
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cryypter

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-13-2012

Let me be the first to welcome you! I've been around for a little bit, and I decided to share my infinite knowledge with you! Doesn't that make you happy?!?

But seriously, here are a couple useful little items that will help you get settled in here.

Terms:

• RP - Roleplay - A form of entertainment where people make or choose characters to pretend to be. These characters then interact in various situations based on the rules and setup of the RP.
  • DM/GM - Dungeon Master/Game Master - The person in charge of the RP. They set up the rules and scenario for the RP, and adjudicate when there are disagreements between players.
  • PC - Player Character - The character a player plays as. Only you may control your PC unless you give someone specific permission, just as you cannot control other players characters unless given specific permission.
  • NPC - Non-Player Character - Any character that is not a PC. Typically controlled by the DM/GM, includes minor characters like nameless soldiers, minions, shopkeepers, etc.
  • OC - Original Character - A character created by the player, as opposed to characters created by, for example, Riot.
  • IC - In Character - Any actions or speech made as the character you are playing. Example:
    Quote:
    John looked around the room, confused as to why there were no rubber duckies. "Where are all the rubber duckies?" he pondered aloud.
  • OOC - Out Of Character - Any comments or conversation made by a player, not the character. Denoted by double parentheses. Example:
    Quote:
    ((Cryypter, why would John think there are rubber duckies in the "Room of No Rubber Duckies"?))
  • OP - Original Post - The first post of a thread, typically outlining the rules and scenario of the RP.
  • Open RP - A roleplay where anyone may join.
  • Closed RP - A roleplay where it has already been determined who is participating. You may not join this RP unless told specifically otherwise by the DM.
  • Godmode - Performing actions that control other people's characters, using a character that's invincible (with some extremely rare exceptions), or just doing things your character wouldn't be able to do.

Rules:
- Use (()) for OOC.
- Don't godmode.
- Be polite, and most people will be polite to you.
- If you see a spam post or one that does not belong in the Roleplay forums, downvote it, then if someone hasn't done so already, post a polite reply explaining that this is not the correct forum. If someone else has already posted said polite correction, don't post, just downvote and move on.

Tips:
- You can use this website to make profiles for your characters. You don't HAVE to, but most people do. It is a good way for others to find out a little bit about your character without having to ask you, and it helps you remember stuff about your character.

- Though it's not limited to RPs, this website is useful if you want to do chat RP instead of on the forums. You don't have to make an account if you don't want to, just type in a name and join a room.

- Pay attention to how everyone else is posting. If there are very few OOC comments, it's likely there is another thread for OOC. If there is nothing in the OP about an OOC thread, you can go ahead and ask if there is one, but except for that try to keep OOC to a minimum. If there are a lot of people posting OOC comments, you can probably join in the conversation and ask questions.

- Use proper English. Spell checker is your friend. No one wants to see a post like this:
Quote:
fred wakled in da rooom and speaked "hai guyz watcha doin nice day huh? lolololo
Now, if you are playing someone with, say, a Jamaican accent, some odd grammar is acceptable, but only when the character is speaking/thinking. Descriptions of what said character is doing should still be in proper English.

If you want more in-depth advice, here are some useful guides and other resources:

K. D. Bonez Guide to Not Being a RP Noob
Catspaw's Roleplaying Tips
TBW's guide to developing a character
The RPing Character Creation and Balance Guide
AODRG's 9 Tips and Tricks for Role Players
The Universal Mary Sue Litmus Test
HOW TO JOIN RPS (and not get yelled at)
Noob tips- How to conduct yourself in an Ask thread

Other useful items:

OOC Chat
List of Places
Profile Formatting Info

I hope this helps! Good luck, and see you around the forums!

__________________________________________________ _______________________

I would appreciate any comments, criticisms, or additions you can think of, both from new and veteran RPers.

Ask the Herald

06-13-2012

If you are interested in taking on the role of a Champion, please visit the Ask __ Threads list that is always present to find out who is taken and who isn't. Check the Ask Thread of the champion to see how active/inactive they are/were.

Kameil

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-13-2012

Someone sticky this now

Aproxima

06-13-2012

Indeed or otherwise it will be forgotten

GizzyBear

06-13-2012

i will sticky this

Shinozaki Ayumi

06-13-2012

I will bump it!

Ask the Megling

06-13-2012

I'm glad that this was made. Some people really seem to have some issues regarding RPing properly, spelling and grammar being a big problem from my point of view. Sometimes it's impossible to understand what a person is trying to say.

Ask the Herald

06-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask the Megling View Post
I'm glad that this was made. Some people really seem to have some issues regarding RPing properly, spelling and grammar being a big problem from my point of view. Sometimes it's impossible to understand what a person is trying to say.
*Cough*Vlad*Cough*

Shinozaki Ayumi

06-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask the Herald View Post
*Cough*Vlad*Cough*
^

Lord of Apoc

06-13-2012

I recomend this I also recomend google chrome for the spell check feeters (Bloody Internet Explorer why don't schools upgrade)

Note:That I did all that on porpoise

1234511 ... 34