[Guide] Advanced Annie - Be the Boss

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AIM7Sparrow

08-21-2010

First Blood Item Build Deviation

I've been tinkering around and have come up with an option in my core build that lets you deviate away from the RoA rush while still receiving most of the benefits of a combined RoA + Zhonya's build. The change is quite simple and here it is.

Doran's Shield
Sorc Shoes
Blasting Wand
Catalyst
Zhonya's + Permanent Blue Elixer
Situational:
Banshee's
RoA
Abyssal Scepter
Void Staff
Guardian Angel

I've found that this build is extremely effective if you get a first blood. The reason being, when you first blood your opponent and rush that early Sorc Shoes + Blasting wand, you just push your advantage even harder against them. The catalyst first lowers your firepower and lets the enemy "catch-up" to you potentially if they've been farming decently and rush a power damage item like a BF sword or a Needlessly Large Rod. The early Blasting wand + sorc shoes keeps the advantage highly in your favor. I must warn you though there is a catch. Against "lane-holder" characters, like Morgana and Nasus, you would actually definitely want to get the catalyst first even if you first blood them. You must absolutely keep your mana up to be able to W creeps and compete with their Soil/Fire push.

Soon though mid-game and teamfights start rolling around so the catalyst is a must for the increased mana pool and HP. It's passive can be lifesaving in a teamfight where you level up from a kill or after a gank, etc. Next we finish out our first blasting wand into a Zhonya's ring and now we have some excellent damage and survivability as well. The last item is up to you. If it's not a complete steamroll but you've also done a good job at not dying, I'd get the RoA to keep your power growing strong as the game progresses. Otherwise, choose whatever fits best for yours and their teamcomps.

godhunter1053

08-21-2010

^ That makes the most sense I've ever heard from a RoA build. It essentially negates the slowness of the item while giving you the ability to just roam around the levels that annie needs to be able to be on call at all times.

Spiffy McBang

08-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperness View Post
First Blood Item Build DeviationI've found that this build is extremely effective if you get a first blood. The reason being, when you first blood your opponent and rush that early Sorc Shoes + Blasting wand, you just push your advantage even harder against them. The catalyst first lowers your firepower and lets the enemy "catch-up" to you potentially if they've been farming decently and rush a power damage item like a BF sword or a Needlessly Large Rod. The early Blasting wand + sorc shoes keeps the advantage highly in your favor.
I've been doing something like this a lot lately, buying the blasting wand first, although admittedly that's often because I have between 860 and 1300g available for the next post-boots item when I return to base. But after the catalyst I go for the RoA; for me it works because I tend to be aggressive and often walk away from the smoking crater with only a few health bars intact. I never really considered going Zhonya's right after the catalyst, though, so maybe I'l try it.

That said, why is this dependent on first blood? It's an extra 100g relative to 3k+ items. In terms of actual game time the difference in earning that money is negligible (20-25 sec worth of last hits). Also, we're essentially talking about the difference between the 850g for the RoA itself versus 2600 to finish Zhonya's. That's 1750g, of which 100g is only a small percentage. I suppose I could see it if you're utterly perfect in last-hitting and have no other way to tweak small advantages out your farming, but as long as you're getting kills on your mid opponent, realistically I would think the decision dependent on playstyle and perhaps the opposing team's composition.

AIM7Sparrow

08-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy McBang View Post
I've been doing something like this a lot lately, buying the blasting wand first, although admittedly that's often because I have between 860 and 1300g available for the next post-boots item when I return to base. But after the catalyst I go for the RoA; for me it works because I tend to be aggressive and often walk away from the smoking crater with only a few health bars intact. I never really considered going Zhonya's right after the catalyst, though, so maybe I'l try it.

That said, why is this dependent on first blood? It's an extra 100g relative to 3k+ items. In terms of actual game time the difference in earning that money is negligible (20-25 sec worth of last hits). Also, we're essentially talking about the difference between the 850g for the RoA itself versus 2600 to finish Zhonya's. That's 1750g, of which 100g is only a small percentage. I suppose I could see it if you're utterly perfect in last-hitting and have no other way to tweak small advantages out your farming, but as long as you're getting kills on your mid opponent, realistically I would think the decision dependent on playstyle and perhaps the opposing team's composition.
Well, first of all, by first blood, I mean first blood relative to your lane. You don't actually have to score the official first blood. Killing the enemy solo first is the important thing. I think that's where this whole 100g difference thing you were talking about is coming from right? Disregard all that, those numbers don't matter. Theorycrafting has very limited uses in this game. Getting items as quickly as possible can't be valued at X% more cost-efficient or whatever. That item you got 100 or 200g sooner could mean the difference between an ace or a baron push.

That being said, the reason I see this build as better, is because after you kill your opponent and get that level and gold advantage, you want to continue to punish them even harder. Getting the shoes + blasting wand lets you keep wailing on them really hard, deny their exp and their farm, and hopefully kill them a few more times.

I'm not saying that an early catalyst is bad, it's still my basic, recommended build that works well in all situations. I'm just saying that you lose out on 75 damage on your combo by not going with a blasting wand, and believe me that makes a difference. That 75 damage could be the difference between a Tristana escaping or even killing you and negating that early advantage you had.

However, if the early game action is low-key, then I'd get that RoA just to get my stats rolling on it quickly and to keep myself active and threatening in teamfights during the mid-late game.

Spiffy McBang

08-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperness View Post
Well, first of all, by first blood, I mean first blood relative to your lane. You don't actually have to score the official first blood. Killing the enemy solo first is the important thing. I think that's where this whole 100g difference thing you were talking about is coming from right?
Correct. As long as you don't mean first-first blood, then I don't disagree with what you've said.

Actually, I tried this today, and I learned real quick why you still want to get the catalyst second- fortunately it was me surviving with 17 hp and not actually dying that did it, but still, it's pretty critical. And keeping the catalyst passive is, I think, even more useful than what you said- I was able to stay in the field and rack up a couple of levels in peace after getting dropped to 200 hp on a gank, which made me a ton of money towards the Zhonya's. Had I gone RoA, I would have bought it by that point, and I would have had to go back and heal.

Shin˘by

08-24-2010

I always liked Annie, but usually laned with her with a friend while we were in vent together, just because... until I came across this guide.. played 2 games back to back last night, took mid, and used your build, and had at least a 4:1 KD ratio each game if not more, with pulling first blood 1 game, and going 3:1 in mid vs teemo (2:0 after lvl 6 and a 1:1 at lvl 3 simultaneous kill).. ending both games with 10 kills or more, less than 3 deaths, and 1 game like 12 assists or more (cuz of xin KS'ing me all game lol) definitely good guy, helped me alot, thank you very much... mind you, im not lvl 30, im not fully glyphed/etc. and the marks i do have are still ArP for when i was main'ing Yi lol

AIM7Sparrow

08-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin˘by View Post
I always liked Annie, but usually laned with her with a friend while we were in vent together, just because... until I came across this guide.. played 2 games back to back last night, took mid, and used your build, and had at least a 4:1 KD ratio each game if not more, with pulling first blood 1 game, and going 3:1 in mid vs teemo (2:0 after lvl 6 and a 1:1 at lvl 3 simultaneous kill).. ending both games with 10 kills or more, less than 3 deaths, and 1 game like 12 assists or more (cuz of xin KS'ing me all game lol) definitely good guy, helped me alot, thank you very much... mind you, im not lvl 30, im not fully glyphed/etc. and the marks i do have are still ArP for when i was main'ing Yi lol
Thanks for your support and glad you found it useful!

Spiffy McBang

08-25-2010

Since you wrote something up about facing Vlad, I figure you might do one about Urgot; here's what I've seen so far.

-His corrosive (the green slime) appears to be his main attack early. It doesn't do a lot of damage, but it has a pretty long range, so you have to be dodgy- three or four misses will soak his mana to the point where he has to be careful about firing it off. Once he bumps up a couple of levels, though, it becomes more important to avoid the slime; if it hits his missiles lock on to you and you're basically forced to retreat well out of his range until it wears off. If he rapid-fires them, you're going to get some bruises. The slime is also an effective minion-squisher, so stand apart from them. That will make it much easier to tell if he's aiming for you.

It's like facing Kog'maw mid once he gets his ult, only not quite as bad. But all that means is that where Kog is extremely annoying, Urgot is "only" annoying, and he's annoying from the start.

-He must be harassed as much as possible due to his relatively slow speed and ton of base health (breaks 1k fast). A smart one will stand well behind his troops and make you chase into the line- even if you do more damage numerically, there's a good chance his minions will take more off you percentage-wise than you do to him. And it's not like he's defenseless if you charge.

Unfortunately, this shortens the range on his slime, and after he throws it he scampers behind his troops. So you either have to be quick to attack while it's on CD or be able to juke him on your approach. Personally, I wasn't able to pull it off and got shoved back to the tower both games I saw him, but maybe with practice it will become more feasible.

-His ult, the placement-switcher, is much more devastating in team-fights; without a wall to flash through, you're basically dead if you get caught. But if you get to about half, he can most definitely switch and drop you before you can get back to your minions/turret unless you kill him first. The range is shorter than Annie's spells, but not by much. Harassment once he's at 6 will basically have to be single-shot and run away until you can bust him down.

-I don't know if this is because he's new or what, but the Urgots I saw (whether I was mid or playing a different champ) almost never roamed. This is good for your team, but not so much your mid turret. Right now I'd say plan on calling for help to put him down or force him back to base (it's not impossible to do yourself by any means, but definitely one of the harder champs to kill) or make sure your ganks are well-timed so you can get a side turret in exchange for the mid you'll probably lose if he's given a couple shots at it.

If he does roam, again, the placement-switcher is going to cause havoc if your teammates get caught. But if you get pushed back to the turret and he's content to sit mid-lane and let you push back, you won't know if or when he's mia. Best option is probably to tell your teammates pre-game, if you see him on the other team, that if he goes mid you might get pushed back and they have to be ready for him at any time.

AIM7Sparrow

08-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy McBang View Post
Since you wrote something up about facing Vlad, I figure you might do one about Urgot; here's what I've seen so far.

-His corrosive (the green slime) appears to be his main attack early. It doesn't do a lot of damage, but it has a pretty long range, so you have to be dodgy- three or four misses will soak his mana to the point where he has to be careful about firing it off. Once he bumps up a couple of levels, though, it becomes more important to avoid the slime; if it hits his missiles lock on to you and you're basically forced to retreat well out of his range until it wears off. If he rapid-fires them, you're going to get some bruises. The slime is also an effective minion-squisher, so stand apart from them. That will make it much easier to tell if he's aiming for you.

It's like facing Kog'maw mid once he gets his ult, only not quite as bad. But all that means is that where Kog is extremely annoying, Urgot is "only" annoying, and he's annoying from the start.

-He must be harassed as much as possible due to his relatively slow speed and ton of base health (breaks 1k fast). A smart one will stand well behind his troops and make you chase into the line- even if you do more damage numerically, there's a good chance his minions will take more off you percentage-wise than you do to him. And it's not like he's defenseless if you charge.

Unfortunately, this shortens the range on his slime, and after he throws it he scampers behind his troops. So you either have to be quick to attack while it's on CD or be able to juke him on your approach. Personally, I wasn't able to pull it off and got shoved back to the tower both games I saw him, but maybe with practice it will become more feasible.

-His ult, the placement-switcher, is much more devastating in team-fights; without a wall to flash through, you're basically dead if you get caught. But if you get to about half, he can most definitely switch and drop you before you can get back to your minions/turret unless you kill him first. The range is shorter than Annie's spells, but not by much. Harassment once he's at 6 will basically have to be single-shot and run away until you can bust him down.

-I don't know if this is because he's new or what, but the Urgots I saw (whether I was mid or playing a different champ) almost never roamed. This is good for your team, but not so much your mid turret. Right now I'd say plan on calling for help to put him down or force him back to base (it's not impossible to do yourself by any means, but definitely one of the harder champs to kill) or make sure your ganks are well-timed so you can get a side turret in exchange for the mid you'll probably lose if he's given a couple shots at it.

If he does roam, again, the placement-switcher is going to cause havoc if your teammates get caught. But if you get pushed back to the turret and he's content to sit mid-lane and let you push back, you won't know if or when he's mia. Best option is probably to tell your teammates pre-game, if you see him on the other team, that if he goes mid you might get pushed back and they have to be ready for him at any time.
Well I haven't played against Urgot mid yet. In fact, I haven't played Annie that often at all recently simply because I'm getting sick of novice teammates not being able to take advantage of the early game lead I provide them and not doing their jobs as carries late game. Next time I do get Annie against an Urgot mid though I'll see what's up. From the way I've seen him play so far and Phreak's champion spotlights that poison move is pretty fast, has a big AoE, and would be hard to dodge. This could definitely create problems for us.

Here's some preliminary advice though.

I think you might be going about this the wrong way. I'm guessing that whenever you do get hit with the poison, you need to not run away from him as would be intuitive, but instead bum-rush him and get off a stun as quickly as possible. This would cause 2 things to happen.

1. If he is smart enough to cast shield to save himself some damage, it takes away from a tiny bit of the time he could be microing and/or attacking you as well as adds an element of stress from increased multitasking. (Mindgames is very important in the laning 1v1 phase)

2. Your stun and spells will not only damage him and hopefully break even with the harass he gave you via poison/missiles, but will also negate some of the time his missiles are able to lock on to you. After the stun, you can retreat to safety behind your minions.

Don't forget to always turn on your shield right away after his poison hits you for that increased MR and AR.

Give this a shot and tell me how it goes.

AIM7Sparrow

09-17-2010

Wow just noticed my guide broke +100 rating. Thanks to everyone for your support and comments. Keep asking questions and I will gladly answer. If a particular match-up in mid is giving you trouble let me know and I'll try to help out. I've recently picked up Kassadin (70% win-rate in solo queue compared to my Annie's 48%, fail) so I'll have to go off of memory, but I'll try my best.