A map idea involving more than just a generic request

1234511 ... 21
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DonnFirinne

06-05-2012

Updated: 7/1/12
Added a new idea

Ok guys, I've got an image to go with a map idea. Keep in mind that it is a working draft, so things may be disproportionate or out of place. If you disagree with anything, let me know, if your reasons are good I'll change it and credit you. I really want to get some good worthwhile feedback on this map so don't hold back. As long as I'm getting feedback I'll be answering questions and updating this post, so read through it all first please. TeknoWizard is becoming my right-hand man on this, so you can trust his answers too.

Important Note: There were a few things that I heard from a lot of people before making this map, and these items I plan to stick to unless someone can come up with an overwhelming reason against it. The things most people asking for new maps want are a new game mode, a larger, more involved jungle, and a break from the 3-lane system of SR.

Game Mode: Capture the Flag
Lanes: 2, with minions
Teams: 2 teams of 6 each

Primary Objective: Capture the flag from the center of the map and bring it into the enemy's nexus.
Secondary Objective: Killing enemy champions.
Win Condition: First team to 100 points wins. 15 points per flag capture, 1 point per kill. A team can only score a maximum of 40 points by kills
Edit: Someone mentioned that Nexuses seem to have importance in League maps, so perhaps instead of a count up to a winning score, each point counts against the enemy's nexus health, similar to Dominion.
Note: The flag is a placeholder. I will come up with something better to call it later.

Flag Details:

• The flag would spawn at the center after a certain amount of time and the primary objective would be to capture it and take it into the enemy base, scoring your team points.
  • Capturing the flag requires a channel of 15 seconds, interruptible by only hard cc or displacement.
  • After being dropped the flag will reset to its original position after 60 seconds. This will reset if any attempt to recapture it (starting the channel) is made
  • Before being taken both teams will have limited vision immediately around the flag (credit to TeknoWizard)
  • Dropping the flag would be on a hotkey by default (G maybe?)
  • Holding the flag may carry an MS debuff where all bonus MS is removed except for boots and abilities. (credit to MoonStomp)
  • Holding the flag grants Tenacity (credit to wickedsiik)
  • Capturing and holding the flag count as actions which break/prevent stealth
  • There is a respawn timer on the flag of 3 minutes after being captured
Minion Details:
  • Minions would come out of the respective bases and head down the lanes as usual and meet at the halfway point.
  • Once the flag is taken by a team, the other team's minions as well as jungle creeps will automatically aggro to the flag bearer (maybe the entire team) on sight, to make travel toward the enemy base more difficult.
  • I had a thought of putting a slight MS debuff on minion and monster attacks (only while the flag is held) to further hinder travel, but this may be unnecessary due to the limited base entrances. On the other hand, the limited entrances may make it too hard to get in. I really need some feedback here
  • Minions gradually get weaker between their base and the mid point. This will allow lanes to reset to the middle if left alone
  • When minions enter the enemy base they disappear and each grant a small amount of global gold to their team (a few gold per person per minion) Credit: TeknoWizard
Summoner Spells
  • Teleport will not be available for selection, it would be overpowered/abused on this map
  • Flash (and related abilities) will not be limited on this map by anything but the terrain
Misc. Details:
  • Wards: Probably need a longer timer and cheaper cost (credit to Lasie)
  • Swamp: In swamp champions would have slightly reduced MS and vision (credit to Verandure). I'm on the fence about adding this. It was brought up as a possible new terrain and it intrigued me, but I don't know how well I can work it into the current map.

Ideas
  • Something happening when minions reach the far end of the lane, possibly disappearing and giving global gold to the team of origin. (credit to TeknoWizard)
  • Summoner Spell: Reveal - (similar to TF ult) places markers showing where each member of the enemy team is, but not granting vision, for 4 seconds.
  • Flag Debuff: Reduced damage dealt
  • Flag Debuff: Increading damage taken
  • Summoner Spell: Fog - Removes enemy minimap vision of an area and reduces the vision of enemies within that area, approximately the same size and duration as CV
  • Neutral Buff: Faster flag capture time (credit BlondeCow)
  • Summoner Spell: Caltrops - Creates a temporary AoE slow and slight damage upon entering (credit BrettaKisse)
  • Non-Neutral Buff: Global buff for bringing the flag to it, located near own base (credit Mella Kara)

Needs
  • Buff ideas for neutral jungle camps and epic monsters
  • Feedback on the "Ideas" section
  • Feedback on the current lane setup
  • Any way to test out any part of this map/game mode

Thanks for taking time to read through this whole post (hopefully). Again, any thoughts are welcome. If I get enough positive feedback, perhaps a Rioter will stop by. Thumbs me up if you like the idea, even if you have no feedback to post about.

First map is the original. The second map is the updated version with changes made to the jungle and lanes.

Krewella Jahan

06-05-2012

Nice work on the map outline. I hope they make something like this

Lasie

06-05-2012

I would make is so that abilities cant be used while the flag is held along with a natural slow associated with holding the flag in place of the minion slows. also a way to drop the flag in case of a team fight. maybe carrying the flag can give a slow as well as armor magic resist so that its not impossible to survive with it. you know just incase vayne has to grab it. lol Just some thoughts. also I was thinking maybe two semi seperate jungles. so you can support two junglers since its a two lane 6 player game.

Edit maybe having wards last 30 seconds longer would be nice. seeing as how its a bigger map

DonnFirinne

06-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasie View Post
I would make is so that abilities cant be used while the flag is held along with a natural slow associated with holding the flag in place of the minion slows. also a way to drop the flag in case of a team fight. maybe carrying the flag can give a slow as well as armor magic resist so that its not impossible to survive with it. you know just incase vayne has to grab it. lol Just some thoughts. also I was thinking maybe two semi seperate jungles. so you can support two junglers since its a two lane 6 player game.

Edit maybe having wards last 30 seconds longer would be nice. seeing as how its a bigger map
Thank you for the feedback, this is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.

I considered a slow on the flag, and depending on how things go in the future, maybe that is the way to go, but I would like to keep the minion attack slow because it allows for more strategic play. For example, a team might try to shove their lane right before they grab a flag so that they can get closer to the base faster. Or they might have their junglers run through the enemy's jungle ahead of the flag bearer to clear the camps out. And if a team knew they wouldn't be able to contest capturing the flag they might leave their jungle alone and defend it as best as they could to give themselves an advantage there. There are just so many more possibilities with the minion slow.

I hadn't even thought of separating the jungles, partly because I didn't want to dictate how many junglers there could be, but mostly because to do so would involve either a wall down the center, greatly decreasing mobility from one side to the other, or a path, greatly increasing mobility from the flag to the base. I set up the jungle to make it difficult to move quickly from the center to the base so that flashing over one wall and popping ghost wouldn't be viable. Either way, the number of camps is more important to the number of junglers than the setup, at least in my opinion. I'm not going to assume how the people of LoL will want to jungle this map. I mean, if they play AP Jarvan sometimes, can you really tell what they're ever going to do?

Very good suggestions though, and I really hope more people have ideas like this to share.

MajorAdvantage

06-06-2012

What if you made the map more of a figure eight? to promote teamfights and have the lanes meet in the middle. You could make the middle of the figure 8 a circle like you have now.

The minions MS attack debuff wouldn't seem to be too useful seeing how the fastest way to the enemy base would be through the jungle where the minions wouldn't be and then the flag bearer would be shielded by the fog.

Also, I think the flag score should be higher than 5, because otherwise I feel by mid game it will turn into a deathmatch instead of a CTF, as it would be safer to just gank kills for points than it would be to try to run into the base against an even team.

MoonStomp

06-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorAdvantage View Post
What if you made the map more of a figure eight? to promote teamfights and have the lanes meet in the middle. You could make the middle of the figure 8 a circle like you have now.

The minions MS attack debuff wouldn't seem to be too useful seeing how the fastest way to the enemy base would be through the jungle where the minions wouldn't be and then the flag bearer would be shielded by the fog.

Also, I think the flag score should be higher than 5, because otherwise I feel by mid game it will turn into a deathmatch instead of a CTF, as it would be safer to just gank kills for points than it would be to try to run into the base against an even team.
I like it. More cap points less kill points. Idk about slow on cap but how bout remove all speed buffs on holding flag. That way its more even and not a death sentence

HartZ71

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-06-2012

I have a few suggestions. They may have already been suggested though, as I didnt read every comment. I did, however read the whole first post and I'm in love with idea. Maybe make the jungle big enough to make double junglers viable, and have two players in each lane. If holding the flag debuffs movespeed, maybe the flag carrier could get an Armor and MR buff, or maybe just extra health while holding it, so it isn't certain death.

DonnFirinne

06-06-2012

Quote:
Well as mentioned by another poster the primary focus of this game mode is to be capture the flag, not deathmatch. I only added points on kills to balance out, so you couldn't have your flag bearer run into the base and have everyone else sacrifice themselves and still come out on top.

Quote:
If the minion MS debuffing stays in it would have to be on the jungle minions too, and jungle minions would aggro to the flag bearer/flag bearing team just like the minions.

Quote:
I arbitrarily set it at 5 and it's open for moving, but I want to make sure that if you take the flag in and score, but get your team aced in the process, you're not coming out on top, and I think with a 6 person team this works out well. I dunno, maybe I'm thinking of the flag respawning too quickly. I suppose if it was a longer respawn then a higher point total would work well. Thoughts on this?

Quote:
I have a few suggestions. They may have already been suggested though, as I didnt read every comment. I did, however read the whole first post and I'm in love with idea. Maybe make the jungle big enough to make double junglers viable, and have two players in each lane. If holding the flag debuffs movespeed, maybe the flag carrier could get an Armor and MR buff, or maybe just extra health while holding it, so it isn't certain death.
I think at the moment the jungle is large enough to support 2, or maybe even 3, junglers at once. This would be easy to work at by specifying the amount of exp and gold in each camp. I'd definitely like to hear from some higher level junglers (if you are please let me know) because they should have a pretty good idea of jungle size vs viability.

Again, thank you all for the feedback and keep it up. I'll start editing in things to the original post soon.

TeknoWizard

06-06-2012

I think it might be cool if at a certain number of points or minutes in, the flag area keep evolving. Maybe add a few creeps into the area itself. Sort of a "defender" or the flag.

Also, did you have an idea what happens when the creeps reach the end of the lane? I think that maybe have a few "tiers" of minions, and have it be like checkers. Reach the opposite side, then have the creep port back to your base slightly upgraded. Sort of like pseudo-super minions.

Do you have any ideas what the buffs would be? I think some of the TT buffs might carry over well.

Finally, is the flag stand revealed, or is it in the fog of war? Because to me, I would just rush a Oracle's on someone, then just clear the wards out of the center for the whole game, and they couldn't even contest a capture.

All in all, map looks intriguing and fun. I'm interested to see if this goes anywhere.

Klondizzle

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-06-2012

I personally have been wanting a CTF map for a long time, I wasn't a fan of Dominion so hopefully they take something like this into consideration. Nice map design also.

1234511 ... 21