How to ap soraka?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XCodes

06-04-2012

I think Grail is an almost mandatory item for Soraka if you're going anything less than full support. +12% max mana on an assist is huge since Soraka gets assists pretty much just by existing, and Max-Rank Starcall on a 1.5s cooldown is still a massive mana dump. Even if you're not running in with Starcall spam late game, Grail gives Soraka a ton of mana, which translates into a ton of health for her allies (especially with an AP build).

EDIT: Also, I have to re-iterate: *never* max Starcall first. It is extremely difficult to continue harassment with even level 3 Q because of how much mana it eats up. If you picked up Clarity as a summoner spell, then *maybe* you can handle 2, but I wouldn't even bother with that because of how much less efficient level 2 is compared to level 1 and the fact that against a single target you get better damage-per-poke by investing in E, anyway.

Cenerae

06-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
There is a reason that Soroka is usually support. Her AP ratios are really not all that good, and she completely lacks burst damage.
So she is an unconventional AP mid. She IS workable though, but you have to have a different mindset than a typical AP carry.

First of all, she needs to be TOUGH. Thats right. Her best DPS output is by spamming her short range Starfall. With a 0.4 AP ratio, it needs to be going off every 2 seconds or so to really take advantage of her high AP. Which means getting close.

Secondly, having aura items is still a good idea. She doesnt have huge burst, so being able to contribute by having very strong heals, AND aura goodness is quite valuable.
You really should play Soroka if you have AP JUNGLERS OR TOPS. She should NOT be the only AP!

As far as skill order:

* Starfall - Mana cost goes from 20 to 35 with 1 rank!!! Dmg goes from 60 to 85 with that same rank. You MASSIVELY LOSE cost-effectiveness by ranking it! I would definitely NOT max this first.

* Astral Blessing - Huge +30 mana cost per rank, though rank 2 doubles your heal so Id probably get 2 points in this early IF NEEDED.

* Infuse - I would max this first. Its like a Super Kassadin nuke. Instant effect without any delay, big silence, 725 range(!), no skillshot needed, cost is FREE, and every rank adds 50 damage which is about 75 AP worth of extra damage.

Let me address some of this. You seem to have the wrong idea.

Firstly, Soraka's ratios. Her damage ratios aren't that high, however her Q has an extremely short cooldown and is aoe. This combined with the MR shred makes her into a fine utility AP, like Zilean. Her damage over time is actually pretty strong, and her team utility is very high because while Astral Blessing doesn't have a huge ratio, Wish on the other hand is just fine. And she still has the armor buff, her MR aura, and her silence.

She does need to be tough, yes. But that doesn't mean she HAS to give up AP to do it, nor does it mean she has to spam aura items. It would depend entirely on how the game is going as to what items you'd want to get. A lot of the time you don't need to deviate too far from a typical AP build.

Skilling order wise - You're forgetting that increased ranks in Q increase the MR shred, and increase your pushing/farming power. Infuse is free, yes. But if you want to force someone to stay in the lane, Infuse isn't going to do that. Mowing down minion waves in 3 Starcalls will. Stacking the shred on them will also ruin their day and force them back on the defensive much faster than Infuse will. As for her heal, you really don't want more than 1 point until later in it since it's so expensive. Potions are plenty good enough sustain if you're being smart.

Personsir

06-05-2012

Yeah, you definitely want rank 5 Starcall by the time teamfights start.

XCodes

06-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Personsir View Post
Yeah, you definitely want rank 5 Starcall by the time teamfights start.
I wouldn't. The MR Shred only increases by 1 per stack per additional point, but the mana cost scales really fast. After 3 casts, rank 2 Q gives -27 shred for 105 mana, while rank 5 Q gives -36 shred for 240 mana. That's almost enough mana for another rank 2 W (which can easily keep an ally from getting killed).

Cenerae

06-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCodes View Post
I wouldn't. The MR Shred only increases by 1 per stack per additional point, but the mana cost scales really fast. After 3 casts, rank 2 Q gives -27 shred for 105 mana, while rank 5 Q gives -36 shred for 240 mana. That's almost enough mana for another rank 2 W (which can easily keep an ally from getting killed).
The whole point of AP Soraka is to deal high damage over time.

Going to teamfights with max Infuse and low rank Starcall is counterproductive to that goal.

Sure, maxing Q first can be a little expensive on mana if you spam it nonstop, but it has the highest DPS of her two nukes by far. The MR shred might 'only' go up 1 per stack per rank, but I think you're underestimating just how punishing it is in a drawn out fight.

Her mana costs aren't nearly as bad as some of the actual mana intensive mages, anyway. A couple of doran's rings and a blue buff is usually enough for me - and the blue buff isn't always needed either.

WhoopsiGoldburg

06-06-2012

How should I build a tanky ap soraka? Also I never really picked up a chalice on soraka mid but, after the upgrade I want to know when it should be finalized and added into my build.

Personsir

06-06-2012

Yeah, the damage is important too. It all adds up. Maxing E gives you more single target damage, but maxing Q gives you its damage increase times 5.

jmlinden7

06-06-2012

Max E for lower cooldown, better nuking. You won't push lane as hard and you can really deny people. Don't spam w for sustain, use potions and save your heal for a sticky situation. Get chalice, ionian boots, and revolver for infinite sustain. When teamfights happen, heal the low health person in the front, q people, silence the enemy ap, and ult when everyone takes some damage. Get frozen heart to survive, then get any tanky ap items you want. Abyssal, Grail, Zhonya's, Rylai's, lichbane. Upgrade revolver to wota at some point. You don't need deathcap/void staff because you aren't a nuker, you shred magic resist instead of penetrating it (you can shred squishies into the negatives, making void staff useless), and you need survivability. It helps if you have a high damage output AP top or jungle (amumu, fiddlesticks, karthus, vlad, swain, rumble) because they can benefit from your magic resist shred.

Example final build:
WotA
Abyssal
Grail
FH
Merc Treads
Rylai's