Morello deems Kog'maw, Skarner, and Trundle "mistakes"

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Timebomb0800

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-25-2012

Well what is nocturne? He is a non human from the grotesque champion is he not? And maokair is kinda cool

FlubbyDG

05-25-2012

Any chance on an art rework of Urgot and Trundle to make them fit in with the LoL aesthetic?
I would love that, as they really do have neat mechanics.

LordTobiothan

05-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezreal View Post
Morello isn't saying that all monsters are a mistake. He is pointing out specifically the ones which are grotesque.

Kog'Maw is one of our more adorable champions. Anivia falls into the category of mythological awesomeness with a twist. And Cho'Gath is one of our community's favorite champions.

The problem stems from grotesque champions. Characters like Urgot, who, due in part to aesthetics, many players don't want to play as or with. An undead champion who is covered by stitched and scars. Another example of this, though to a lesser extent, is Trundle. A monstrous creature covered by a flesh eating plague.

We like monsters, heck, I personally love everyone from the void. We just want to ensure that we make champions which both appeal to players, and don't potentially disgust them.
the direct quote is that kog was a mistake, soooo yeah....... not buying it

PrettyUnicorns

05-25-2012

please fix the god awful trundle animations

Talking Socks

05-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSpicedRum View Post
aesthetics are not the reason people dont play trundle or urgot... not the reason I dont play them myself. Trundle's natural enemy, flash, is too abundant, and urgot needs dat ad caster item.
I think Morello was talking about low Elo where the players are all the preteens only play champions that are "dark" and "badass", that's why we get tons of releases like Varus, Darius and Hecarus and almost exclusively skin releases that make champion "dark" like the new Swain and Taric skins. Next champion will be the bunny from Donny Darko.

Dreggon

05-26-2012

Quote:
The problem stems from grotesque champions. Characters like Urgot, who, due in part to aesthetics, many players don't want to play as or with. An undead champion who is covered by stitched and scars. Another example of this, though to a lesser extent, is Trundle. A monstrous creature covered by a flesh eating plague.
I don't play Urgot because he has skillshots and my latency is too high to use those effectively.

I don't play Sion because I don't own him.

I don't play Trundle because he doesn't bring anything to a team.

saintbookman

05-26-2012

Considering trundle and Urgot are both some of the best at what they do, it's a shame they aren't seen often. Trundle is a amazing jungler and a good Urgot will **** on bot lane, they both are completely viable, but just not popular. i really think it's their design flaws.

Also Morello is right, as far as players go people on these forums are a very small percentage of people that play the game, so while these monster lovers are being very outspoken the truth is that these champs just aren't attractive to the majority of the playerbase.

On the other hand Cho, Kog, and Skarner are all beautifully designed champions, that have very attractive themes and playstyles.

AbsolutionJailor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordTobiothan View Post
the direct quote is that kog was a mistake, soooo yeah....... not buying it
No, the direct quote was "Yep - luckily, we learn from mistakes."

The player claimed Kog'maw was a "fat caterpillar that spews vomit". Morello simply agreed with that proclamation and reminded the player that Riot "learn[s] from mistakes".

I suggest you stop jumping to conclusions and misreading/misinterpreting/misleading quotes.

Twitchious

05-26-2012

Quote:
Morello isn't saying that all monsters are a mistake. He is pointing out specifically the ones which are grotesque.

Kog'Maw is one of our more adorable champions. Anivia falls into the category of mythological awesomeness with a twist. And Cho'Gath is one of our community's favorite champions.

We like monsters, heck, I personally love everyone from the void. We just want to ensure that we make champions which both appeal to players, and don't potentially disgust them.
But Urgot and Trundle are awesome....

Darius and Varus are both plain and boring. So how is this making champions that appeal to plays and not disgust them? Varus disgusts me more the Urgot honestly.

Morello

Lead Designer

05-26-2012
2 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:

Exactly - specifics on this are the problem, not the concepts. We could have made these characters cool monsters and not gone to the gross side as much. Frustration of this subject was causing short posts in that thread

We learn something from our mistakes on every champ - no champion is perfect.