Zilean?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TeknoWizard

05-25-2012

Alright lets just get these two things out of the way first.

1: I know he can be a support. No, don't bring it up. Not what I want to know about.
2: I know there are better mages. Please give advice against them or say he loses to them, don't just blindly bash.

Yay. That's out of the way. On the actual topic. I recently picked up Zilean, as he was the last 1350 champion I didn't have. I tried support with him, but found it boring. Which is odd, as I enjoy supporting most of the time. But whatever, I decided to try bringing to mid. Now, I did alright, but I'm wondering what the "optimal" way to build him/play him would be as an AP mage. Any general tips or builds would be much appreciated.

TL;DR ~ Zilean Mid advice?

McZwick

05-25-2012

I usually go bottom with him and play an aggressive version of support...building tear, RoA...and I would build the new Unholy Grail on him as well.

But I would like to hear other's thoughts as well. What about top lane? His range with bombs should keep him safe. You may be able to farm enough to keep you viable late game. The problem would be that you're out of early team fights...where you do the most good.

kickthecommie

05-25-2012

Go for that new chalice item as an early part of your core. Zilean is a decent early-to-mid game counter to slow afk farm mids like ryze or veigar, but he is out-harassed and sustained by pretty much everyone else.

OriginalJack

05-25-2012

Zilean does have some mana issues so some sort of mana regen on him is good, either tear, chalice or multiple doran's rings. I haven't tried the new chalice upgrade on him but i bet it would be useful. Aside from that you build him similar to most other AP mids with deathcap, voidstaff etc... you know what i mean.

Usually i skill him like:
R>Q>W>E

Here's a random useful tip... anytime you are out of combat you should spam your W to reduce the cd of your ult. There's no reason you should enter a teamfight with your ult on cd.

Some things I like in general about Zilean mid:
* rage inducing ult
* global passive
* can push surprisingly well with double bombs
* E can make him pretty mobile
* getting kills with bombs when your target is out of your vision is fun

ps - like how the first response you got is about support zilean

McZwick

05-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalJack View Post
ps - like how the first response you got is about support zilean
*sigh* I was that guy

TheCowness

05-25-2012

As an AP mid, I'd rush Chalice of Harmony, then max your CDR as fast as you can. For skill order, I max the bomb first, then max the CDR reducer but get two ranks in the speed boost before you do so, then finish maxing the speed boost. I put ranks in the ult at levels 6, 17, and 18 on Zilean, because if you have AP you don't need to put ranks in it.

Here's why: I know it's an "ultimate," but all that happens when you take another rank in it is a mana cost increase (do not want) and the health gained goes up (not helpful; see below) -- No reduction on the cooldown. Now, the purpose of the ult is that it brings someone back to life, unlike a heal where health gain is important, and the health gain scales 2:1 with AP anyway. If you're ulting a carry as AP Zilean, they'll revive with full health even with only one rank in it. Since we want more utility from the ult, we need to max our CDR and W quickly. If you do that, you can ult twice in a long enough teamfight (Cooldown's about 28-30 seconds with 40% CDR if you spam W).

How you max CDR is up to you. Unholy Grail is 15% CDR, so for the other 25% I would either take boots and 9/0/21 masteries for 15% and 10%, OR take offense masteries (4%), Frozen Heart or Morello's Evil Tome (both 20%), and a scaling CDR glyph (.96%). Zilean wants to ult as often as possible, so you want to be over 35% CDR for sure.

Skill order and CDR is all I really have worth mentioning. You already know to spam W in your down-time, and that Chalice will make sure you have enough mana to do that. All that's left is to build AP: Deathcap, void staff, whatever. Probably not WotA.

When I support him, I do essentially the same thing, though ranks in the ult are a little more useful since you don't have as much AP (But I still don't always rank it). Supporting, I'd rush two or three GP10 items, then get CDR boots and either an Evil Tome or Frozen Heart. Gotta be aggressive if you're support Zilean, since you don't have a heal or a shield, but he still has tons of utility.

OriginalJack

05-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCowness View Post
As an AP mid, I'd rush Chalice of Harmony, then max your CDR as fast as you can. For skill order, I max the bomb first, then max the CDR reducer but get two ranks in the speed boost before you do so, then finish maxing the speed boost. I put ranks in the ult at levels 6, 17, and 18 on Zilean, because if you have AP you don't need to put ranks in it.

Here's why: I know it's an "ultimate," but all that happens when you take another rank in it is a mana cost increase (do not want) and the health gained goes up (not helpful; see below) -- No reduction on the cooldown. Now, the purpose of the ult is that it brings someone back to life, unlike a heal where health gain is important, and the health gain scales 2:1 with AP anyway. If you're ulting a carry as AP Zilean, they'll revive with full health even with only one rank in it.
Hmm interesting I hadn't thought about only taking one point in your ult at first... useful post is useful +1

KnightxSScarlett

05-25-2012

People complain if you play him support because you have no heal. "You can't support if you have no heal" (So I guess Janna isn't a support)

Zilean shines as support with his burst and ult. He can actually drop the enemy AD carry's hp by .2 - .25 with one combo with more coming in 3 seconds. The problem playing Zilean is you can accidentally ks a lot of kills. But he's probably a more reliable support for early - midgame pushing.

TeknoWizard

05-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mageinta Warrior View Post
People complain if you play him support because you have no heal. "You can't support if you have no heal" (So I guess Janna isn't a support)

Zilean shines as support with his burst and ult. He can actually drop the enemy AD carry's hp by .2 - .25 with one combo with more coming in 3 seconds. The problem playing Zilean is you can accidentally ks a lot of kills. But he's probably a more reliable support for early - midgame pushing.
More people who didn't read the 1 or 2.

KnightxSScarlett

05-25-2012

The point is, don't play Zil mid. Let someone else mid. You're far more useful as support giving your AD carry an extra life to get that triple.