Renekton - Croc is asking to be heard Riot!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NA1

05-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putzfrau View Post
If you're not crushing 99% of champions as a top lane renek that's a personally problem, not a renekton one.

He's one of the strongest top lanes in the game right now. He has a powerful laning phase that transitions into a good late game if you play to his strengths (crush your lane and get hella gold-> good late game).

There's no debate about renekton. He's a strong champion. Is he the strongest? No. Is he a competitive and viable pick? Absolutely. Wickd loves him. Dyrus plays him all the time. Voyboy is a monster with him. You have three of some of the best top lanes in the game swearing by him.

What else do you need?
Then every Renekton I see is a trash player, cause I've yet to run into a Renekton I couldn't run into the ground with one simple secret: the power of right click.

solidfake

05-19-2012

There is so much wrong in this one single post, I will better tear it apart.

Quote:
If you're not crushing 99% of champions as a top lane renek that's a personally problem, not a renekton one.
That is just pure hyperbolism and only shows that you have absolutely no understanding of the game and specifically of the top lane. The first thing that matters the most is what champion you do have and what champion the enemy does have. If your enemy counterpicks you, you can show as much skill as you want, but you won't win the lane, the best you can hope is for an even trade or for a lot of help from your jungler. Then comes skill, if you are at an even lane, it is a measure of skill who will win trades. And then come other factors like help from junglers with lvl2 ganks and a tiny bit of luck and the enemy getting fed from other kills. If you win with Renekton your lane or not is mainly based on who you are fighting against, and does have way less todo with how good you actually are.

Quote:
He's one of the strongest top lanes in the game right now. He has a powerful laning phase that transitions into a good late game if you play to his strengths (crush your lane and get hella gold-> good late game).
He is one of the stronger toplanes right now, which is true, but there are also stronger toplanes than him, like shen and Olaf. Despite this, Renekton falls off completely by lategame, unless he is ridiculously fed (snowballed). If you don't get assfed, you are nearly useless lategame, if you don't get enough farm, you are useless lategame, even if you make an even trade at toplane it is possible that you are useless lategame because every other toplane will scale so much stronger than you.

Quote:
There's no debate about renekton. He's a strong champion. Is he the strongest? No. Is he a competitive and viable pick? Absolutely. Wickd loves him. Dyrus plays him all the time. Voyboy is a monster with him. You have three of some of the best top lanes in the game swearing by him.
Wickd played him once, if not twice, and that only in very specific cases. I've never seen Dyrus playing him. Voyboy didn't play him since months, because he uses safer and better toplaners like Kennen and Lee-sin, who actually scale into lategame. Voyboy even said that he Renekton is highly situational and that he looses lategame against pretty much every other top-laner.

Putzfrau

05-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidfake View Post
There is so much wrong in this one single post, I will better tear it apart.

That is just pure hyperbolism and only shows that you have absolutely no understanding of the game and specifically of the top lane. The first thing that matters the most is what champion you do have and what champion the enemy does have. If your enemy counterpicks you, you can show as much skill as you want, but you won't win the lane, the best you can hope is for an even trade or for a lot of help from your jungler. Then comes skill, if you are at an even lane, it is a measure of skill who will win trades. And then come other factors like help from junglers with lvl2 ganks and a tiny bit of luck and the enemy getting fed from other kills. If you win with Renekton your lane or not is mainly based on who you are fighting against, and does have way less todo with how good you actually are.

He is one of the stronger toplanes right now, which is true, but there are also stronger toplanes than him, like shen and Olaf. Despite this, Renekton falls off completely by lategame, unless he is ridiculously fed (snowballed). If you don't get assfed, you are nearly useless lategame, if you don't get enough farm, you are useless lategame, even if you make an even trade at toplane it is possible that you are useless lategame because every other toplane will scale so much stronger than you.

Wickd played him once, if not twice, and that only in very specific cases. I've never seen Dyrus playing him. Voyboy didn't play him since months, because he uses safer and better toplaners like Kennen and Lee-sin, who actually scale into lategame. Voyboy even said that he Renekton is highly situational and that he looses lategame against pretty much every other top-laner.
I specifically said he wasn't the best top lane. No one is but one champion, whoever is "best" at the time.

Wickd has played him in over thirty ranked games. Im glad you havent seen dyrus play him. Cngrats. He has. He plays him a lot. Try again. Sounds like you're the one without a basic understanding.

Renekton is also one of the harder champions to counter pick. Try again.

I can make blanket statements with no facts too!

Your last paragraph is a straight up lie, which is hilarious considering you question my knowledge. If you're going to just make things up, what's the point in even discussing it?

Wickd over sixty percent win ratio with renek, over thirty wins
http://www.lolking.net/summoner/euw/71500

Voyboys win percentage on renek almost identical to his win % on rumble, Riven and kennen. Are they in need of a buff as well? Apparently the "safe" pick of kennen works out about as well as the crappy renekton pick. Probably just coincidence right LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOL
http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/19134540#stats

I love how you compare him to Shen and Olaf, arguably the two most broken top layers right now. Real good comparison. No top laners compare to them right now. Apparently that means they all need buffs!

Putzfrau

05-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA1 View Post
Then every Renekton I see is a trash player, cause I've yet to run into a Renekton I couldn't run into the ground with one simple secret: the power of right click.
Yeah, that's probably true. No ranked games, 50% normal win ratio. They are probably garbage. You didn't do so bad with him in dominion, and you can't even abuse his laning phase in that game type.

I'd also love if you could explain to me how youre supposed to beat renek with right click. E is going to shred your armor putting you at an instant disadvantage if you are trading autos. On top of that q is going to make sure he wins trade, and w is going to allow him to disengage as he pleases. Few characters can reliably out trade an intelligent renekton player

CannabisCorpse

05-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I'm short on time right now, and I know there's some "give Renekton some love" threads, but he gets used a reasonable amount in tourney and high-elo play. Other than new build options (which is fun for any character), I don't see what we need to do here.
What are you blithering on about? Have you even played Renekton? God**** I knew Morello was bad balance wise but what is this tripe? please explain to me why the first ten minutes I can deny an Olaf completely, have 6-0 then 20 minutes in, i'm 2 levels above him and he kills me? It makes no sense. And when has he ever been successful in tournaments? I have yet to see him win toplane in a tournament. You just keep Riven as is and leave Renekton (who is eve-tier compared to Riven) as is. Good job Riot balance team. I am appalled. Terrible fabricated facts spewed by this man here.

Kayote

05-19-2012

I think people are failing to see why he shouldn't be buffed but changed. Go AD quints and AD marks. Then hit someone with a furied Ruthless Predator at level 1. If you land an auto attack first, then Ruthless Predator, then another auto attack for 90% of top laners you've brought them down to anywhere from 50% to 25% life. This is what holds back Renekton from getting buffs. His level 1 damage is just silly. Then at level 2 he gets a dash and at level 3 he gets a harasser/lifesteal component. So before most champions get items to protect themselves from him he dominates a lane. It's your job as the player to keep that domination going.

Renekton's problem is that he has absolultely nothing going for him if he does not dominate. He doesn't have any form of ranged fury regen, and his abilities don't generate fury unless they hit something. Then there are his other problems which I mentioned earlier.

Putzfrau

05-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayote View Post
I think people are failing to see why he shouldn't be buffed but changed. Go AD quints and AD marks. Then hit someone with a furied Ruthless Predator at level 1. If you land an auto attack first, then Ruthless Predator, then another auto attack for 90% of top laners you've brought them down to anywhere from 50% to 25% life. This is what holds back Renekton from getting buffs. His level 1 damage is just silly. Then at level 2 he gets a dash and at level 3 he gets a harasser/lifesteal component. So before most champions get items to protect themselves from him he dominates a lane. It's your job as the player to keep that domination going.

Renekton's problem is that he has absolultely nothing going for him if he does not dominate. He doesn't have any form of ranged fury regen, and his abilities don't generate fury unless they hit something. Then there are his other problems which I mentioned earlier.
Agreed, but I like that. Champions should feel different and play differently. No champion should be strong in all areas. If you use reneks strengths hes in a good spot. If you don't you aren't playing him appropriately

Morello

Lead Designer

05-19-2012
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metronomotopoeia View Post
Xypherous suggested more impactful Fury use-cases, particularly a reason to want to Dice (E, part 2) with Fury.

And really, unless you're on the brink of dying, you don't want your Fury consumed on Q, either. And sometimes, even when you need as much healing as you can get, you'd still rather use it for W's extra stun duration.

I do agree with the person below me, though, that future (and long-awaited) AD/CDR and AD/vamp itemization would mean a lot for Renekton as well.
I agree we could do some work to make him more fun - that's fine. I think his balance is pretty good, but some tweaks that make him be a better play experience is something I'm open to.

AgileAsAMonkey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-19-2012

people trash-talk to much about renekton.

Is he good/viable/tier 1 solo top. Yes.Yes.Yes
Does he fall late game? Yes. Like all ad caster
Does he need buffs ? Yes, riot did say that, we agree. He need some passive change (a real passive) and maybe some changes in his ult.

But people get CRAZY! They say he is ****, he is not a viable solo top, he is easly countered and that he falls HORRIBLY late game. All a bunch of lies.

see this guy for example
http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/19205769#profile < he does very good with renekton, try new builds, etc. I've saw him **** on most "chesse" top lanners like riven and he was STILL able to beat they late.

The reason why renekton falls is not becouse he lacks of DAMAGE, is becouse his cooldowns are to hight and people insist in build tankyness instead of early damage. HE IS NOT A TANK, he is an off tank.
Becouse many AD carry and AP carry do not build armor or build LOW armor you will still deals TONS of damage to this guys and you will do so even faster then a fancy olaf (that's not mean you will survive as better as him )
Still, he need buffs. He falls more then riven/olaf/etc if he is in a bad position early.

Ginga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgileAsAMonkey View Post
Does he fall late game? Yes. Like all ad caster
Riven is an AD Caster.

Anyways. All criticisms towards Renekton can pretty much be summed up as "his Passive is vanilla". He's a good champion, his Passive is just really boring and ignored.