Darius is going to be the most generic champion EVER

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shaella

05-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Penguin View Post
The way you use the word paradigm makes me feel a little embarrassed for you. It's like you highlighted a different word and looked it up in a thesaurus without really knowing how to use it.
I couldn't think of the word i wanted to use, paradigm isn't the correct word, but i can't think of the right one.

Morello

Lead Designer

05-17-2012
1 of 27 Riot Posts

This is a sensitive subject with people (and pretty polarizing generally), so I thought I'd speak to this a bit.

Our goal is to make sure we're offering a variety of archetypes, but like I was speaking in the other "grotesque" subject thread, we're not interested in making stuff that has the sole purpose of showing how clever, different or creative we can be (bee void champion you mention). Our goal is, instead, to make stuff that our players want.

What does that mean?

* Players want some sort of fantasy fulfillment. That fantasy can be a badass killer (Tryndamere), ironic juxtaposition (Annie), cute underdog (Teemo), world-ending monster (Cho'Gath), and tons of other methods of fantasy fulfillment.

* Players want variety. Since each player has unique tastes, every champion won't be one they like - that's not our goal. Instead, we want to make sure each player has several releases they can get interested in. This includes humans (Fiora), stranger creatures (Nautilus) and whimsical characters (Ziggs or Lulu). Just this year, there's plenty of different archetypes and themes available.

* Players want to understand why they should play a champion. Anyone should be able understand what they're getting by seeing the champion's art, theme and ability set. Clear sources of power and cohesive packages help make sure that it meets expectations and shows off why a champion is exciting to whatever audience it's intended for.

What is not important to us when choosing champions?

* Being different just to show we can. Like I was saying earlier, very few people (yes, and this is testibly true) actually care about this. I'll go so far as to say I think designing with this as a goal is unethical and masturbatory - a developer's duty is to the game and the players, not ego and pride. Uniqueness is only a goal in how it serves variety.

* Exploring every possible rare niche. We could make some crazy thing you've never seen to satisfy the idea that nothing is off-limits, but frankly, some things are. We won't make a Balloon Animal champion, or a Spaceship champion (skins, however...) because they don't make since in our game, our world, or to the vast, vast majority of people who play League of Legends or ever would play it.

If you don't like Darius, then that's fine! It's easy to choose to not get him or play him! It's your right to expect champions you like to be released at a reasonable cadence. It's not realistic that every champion is designed with your individual tastes specifically in mind, or that anything that you don't like personally means that no one else will. We study and think about this a lot - I personally invest a ton of time, passion and work into doing this, as do a lot of others.

I'm really excited about Darius, especially because Sion does not fulfill the experience of an awesome guy who has an axe-based fighting style, and Darius most certainly does.

RedRings

05-17-2012

Sion fulfills my axe-filled fantasies.

true story

AD-sion that is.

Lynch

05-17-2012

Darius sounds awesome Morello, don't let hater Shaella get to ya.

1st HanarSpectre

05-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I'm really excited about Darius, especially because Sion does not fulfill the experience of an awesome guy who has an axe-based fighting style, and Darius most certainly does.
Is there really that big of a difference between big strong warrior who fights with a giant sword/mace vs big strong warrior who fight with a giant axe?

Morello

Lead Designer

05-17-2012
2 of 27 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st HanarSpectre View Post
Is there really that big of a difference between BAMF who fights with a giant sword/mace vs BAMF who fight with a giant axe?
Do Astaroth and Nightmare in Soul Calibur fight the same?

1st HanarSpectre

05-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Do Astaroth and Nightmare in Soul Calibur fight the same?
Comparing a videogame with active fighting style vs a game who's major control is a right click.
Awesome Morello.

Noraver

05-17-2012

Quick question Morello..
Does Darius have any form of CC?
Just curious. I personally like the look of him, and a bit of CC would make me really happy in my top lane. :3

Barcell

05-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaella View Post
Renekton
Really? Renekton? he was released more than a year ago and he introduced the fury system with him.
Talon is the best example of an AD caster that is not tanky DPS. Im not what youre point really is in this, could it be that u r afraid that Darius will outclass your Pantheon

nukular power

05-17-2012

I wonder how much of that post applies to Borejauni

You guys are certainly making good money off your design strategy, so I can't criticize it too much. But I think "fantasy fulfillment" is not going to rank very high on e-sport players' wishlists for new champions.