Chat in spectator mode

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Goruda

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-15-2012

I would love to be able to talk to my friends who are spectating to ask them if they want to join in a game.

I don't see why people that are spectating can't talk, I see no downside to this.

Anyway, just my two cents.

EDIT: If there is a reason, I would like to know, so please post.

Plazma

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-15-2012

i've wondered this myself, bump

KingCanadaEh

05-15-2012

You can. But its a secret.

AIways on Top

05-15-2012

I heard you can turn chat on, but only non-idiots know how.

Goruda

05-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiated View Post
I'm an idiot then, because I don't know how to

Eph289

05-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiated View Post
No need to be a jerk about it, it's not the most obvious feature. Idiocy has nothing to do with whether or not they know how to find the tool; most of the people who play this game don't know how to attack-move or skip wards over walls. That doesn't make them idiots.

There's the little "eye" icon on the bottom left corner of the spectator mode interface. Click it and a popup menu will appear. Highlight the chat option and you'll be able to see the /all chat. You won't be able to see the individual team chats.

You can then chat with your friends using the standard /w and /r commands. Say I wanted to chat to SummonerBob and tell him "gl hf". I'd hit Enter to call up the chat box, then type "/w SummonerBob gl hf" to send my message.

Note that you'll have to re-enable chat visibility each time you use Spectator Mode for reasons that mystify me; it's always turned off on startup.

Fruity Sebbles

Associate Product Manager

05-15-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eph289 View Post
Note that you'll have to re-enable chat visibility each time you use Spectator Mode for reasons that mystify me; it's always turned off on startup.
We're looking into this particular problem.

Eph289

05-15-2012

Sweet, thanks!

Plazma

05-15-2012

i tried to use /r previously but it didnt work

Krimson62

05-15-2012

click the eye in the bottom left and turn chat on repeat every game :/ thankfully red is aware of the issue