Intel Ivy Bridge: Intel HD Graphics 4000

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

hohums

Software Engineer

05-13-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philosogamer View Post
If you want that extra eye candy at minimal cost, you could get a separate PhysX card that fits into a PCI (not PCI-E) slot somewhere on the internet, to help with the physics processing.
We don't take advantage of a PhysX card so that wouldn't help LoL.

OP: The 4000 Intel integrated GPU series should perform well for mid level graphics setting with shadows.

TheKingofSalt

05-13-2012

I just setup my girl with LoL on her i3 Intel HD 3000 chip...

Works flawless at native res all low. I could tweak the settings up too if I wanted, but I havent played with it. Was FPS locked up at 60 with dips into 30ish

Nickktee

05-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohums View Post

OP: The 4000 Intel integrated GPU series should perform well for mid level graphics setting with shadows.
Trick response, never use shadows!

spicytaco69

05-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohums View Post

Lol why not?

Gurei Fullbuster

05-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytaco69 View Post
Lol why not?
The processing power to graphical effect ratio is very poor for every game with shadows ever. It's true all the way across the board from Skyrim to LoL. Shadow effects just consume a huge amount of resources for what the graphical enjoyment they provide, it's usually just not worth having them at all unless your PC is just that badass.

Nephrael

05-14-2012

I have an i3 2310M. 4 GB ram, and the intel HD 3000. I'm able to practically any game on low pretty solidly, but i can run league of legends on high at around 45-60 fps. Remember with integrated graphics its not so much the power of the card as it is the specs running it. If you have no ram and a weak processor, you wont be able to run anything.

and to the people saying integrated graphics are lame, with the hd 3000 I can run skyrim on low pretty solidly, along with dead space and dead space 2 on medium-high (slows down when swarmed on high), mass effect 1 on high and 2 on medium, and pretty much anything else. the only downsides about the integrated cards are some features seem to lag no matter what, such as high levels of antialiasing, and tons and tons of dynamic shadows.

fCKzAr

05-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Smart Noob View Post
I"m just wondering what the community thinks, do you think the Intel HD Graphics 4000 will be able to play League at high settings (no shadows) at 50+ fps? And to you Intel HD Graphics 3000 users out there, how many fps do you get and at what settings? Should I just get an Intel i5 2500K with a discrete graphics card rather than waiting for the Ivy bridge to come out?
Get the 2500K. The Ivy is only faster because it runs on a little higher clockspeeds due to producing less heat. Ivys draw less power too, but the performance gap can be closed by a little overclocking.

Reynmaker

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philosogamer View Post
The power of Intel HD 4000 graphics is averaged about 50% greater than it's predecessor, the Intel HD 3000. It does better in games that has less dynamic geometry. Things such as rippling and reflective waters, flying debris, bullets etc will slow down the graphics performance significantly. If you turn all that eye-candy off the Intel HD 4000 would perform great for the average user.

If you want that extra eye candy at minimal cost, you could get a separate PhysX card that fits into a PCI (not PCI-E) slot somewhere on the internet, to help with the physics processing. From the look of things however, Intel HD 4000 will run grand on LoL with a minimum of 45 FPS on Decompress's settings. There are only two i5s with the HD 4000 however, and so I recommend the i5 3570k for the extra clock speed and over clocking potential.

Would be interesting to see which processor, between the i5-3570k and the A8-3870K, does best for League of Legends. I'm thinking about getting AMD simply because I'm in desperate need of an upgrade (specs are 1GB DDR-667 RAM + AMD Athlon II 3600+ with on-board nVidia 6150SE gfx), and buying Intel seems like a pointless investment if LGA 1155 will only last one more year before LGA 1150 (Haswell) comes out.

P.S. Sorry for reviving the topic; but I thought it was okay, seeing as Ivy Bridge has recently been shipped to stores, and should be available by the 29th (or so people hope).
lot of tech mentioned in this post, but I cannot believe that you just recommended a physx card..................for league of minimum requirements legends.....

Physx, is used to:
Tank graphics performance by making in game effects like dust smoke and, in Batman - Arkham asylum, paper falling, more 'realistic'.

Any integrated graphics solution for 2011 onwards, will run league, so will *any* discreet GPU, from 30 dollars to 1000.

LogenBloodyNine

05-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourPalMal View Post
I have the 3000 and always get 60+ on max settings. I don't have shadows on though because seriously who the hell cares about shadows in this game.
Shadows help give depth -- first that comes to mind is Nautilus' swimming animation. I'm in favor of every thing that helps this game, or any other, look better. (of course, with everything maxed I still run at a rock-solid 60fps but I have a fairly high end machine)

Garenteed Feedin

06-09-2012

I have a original core i3 and that works well at medium settings 40 fps. My 2nd gen core i5 isn't bad either about 60 fps on some things high. Other than the occasional lag which is my internet, it works perfectly. Intel even demoed LOL working on a ultrabook. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=451Ayj8pVQo