Varus - Creative Design Ask Me Anything

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

QuasarRevolution

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
the whole manifest thing seems like you kinda ripped it off the fullbring manifestation
What the heck is that?

Rathmirian

05-09-2012

I appreciate that you are doing this, it's interesting to see some of these questions answered... I have a few of my own if you don't mind.

First, through your experience, what kind of names DO people respond to positively/Negatively as you hinted at these responses were researched earlier?

Second, will Varus have a sort of Rival who enters league to oppose him as kayle and morgana are related? A true shrine priestess maybe? Or you could enter some western culture in and have an elderly man type of Bishop in the equation?

Thirdly, how long have you been working at riot, how long do you plan to stay on with them, and will you be doing this sort of thing with other champions as well? The explanation of some lore I didn't quite understand was very interesting.

Finally, are you interested in taking on someone as an assistant to write lore?

Thanks for answering, sorry for the paragraphs and have a nice day!

Thaiya

05-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eph289 View Post
The line you guys put in his lore "incomparable skill with the bow" . . .

I'm guessing this is an implication that he's the best in that part of Ionia or all of Ionia and NOT an assertion that Varus has more raw skills than Ashe/Vayne/Twitch, right?

RIGHT?
I would like to note that crossbows are much easier to use than longbows. A medieval peasant, conscripted into his military, could use a crossbow effectively enough to take down a fully-armored opponent with only a few hours of training.

In other words, Ashe and Varus are tryhards.

exe3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skribbles View Post
- Varus is in a state of transformation. He made a decision to sacrifice his humanity (in fact his very self) to gain the means to achieve revenge. The "pants" are the manifestation of the corruption overtaking him. He only has so much time before it will overtake him. It's a particularly terrifying prospect to see your own body mutate or turn against you.
Will he ever achieve that revenge or will the corruption ever truly take hold or is he generally stuck in time like the rest of the lore and this is just his backstory for why he's in the league?

Elithik

05-09-2012

Is there any part of the original Varus (personality wise) left or is all that is left of him his slowly being-consumed body?
Is the corruption sentient like a human? Is it sentient but different than a human (i.e. feels emotions differently, thinks absolutely evil things, etc.)? I realize these questions are probably not going to be answered, but I can try, right?
If Varus' body was to die would the corruption die with it?
What were Varus' values before he was corrupted? What are they now? It seems too simple if the only thing he valued was revenge.

I have some general champion design questions too:
Are there going to be any champions with a compound bow? I shoot one of these myself, so I was wondering.
More importantly (than the previous question), are there going to be any more dragons? As you might be able to guess from my summoner name, dragons are my favorite mythical creature. I can understand if the community doesn't want one/you don't think it is a good idea though, I was just wondering.

Thank you for making this thread to answer questions! I like when my curiosity is satisfied and I am sure others like it too. I like reading the lore and story to LoL and I think it is interesting, especially with champions like Varus because of the plain humaness in the story (such as Varus cracking under extreme pressure). I hope these questions are not too much to answer. Thanks again!

Tzee...

Skribbles

Associate Writer

05-09-2012
7 of 13 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HigeInuzuka View Post
How about Vayne? how does Varus feels about her? I mean she's demacian and all but since both of them seek to "purge" runeterra from evil they could share some dinner and talk about their adventures in demon hunting... although maybe Vayne would mistake varus for one of those demons?... ugh!
I don't really see Varus or Vayne as social types. They both seem to prefer working alone. That said, I don't think Varus would be concerned about the goals of Vayne. Vayne would probably watch Varus carefully to try to gauge what exactly he was turning in to. Ultimately, I wouldn't be surprised if she evaluated him as a danger to be dealt with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy51 View Post
What exactly is the nature of the Owl insignia on his chest? Is it more of a cultural mark or one given to him by those who stationed him at the temple?
Both, I think. Symbols are often more about the intentions behind them than the shapes themselves. I think the owl mark has been passed down through generations of "watchers," if you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
This is probably a question only peripherally related to writing, but:

Is Varus' "unique" bow design related to the fact that it was broken when the "thing" started consuming him? (I love the design when it's, say, charging for Q but when it's closed or just autoing... just looks like a pair of bows sandwiched together >.>)
This is an interesting interpretation, although I think we focused on giving him a visually interesting bow that fit his feel more than addressing the fact that it was broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
Also (in the same vein as the Naut question), is there more of this "thing" somewhere else on Runeterra and if so, what is it up to?
You know what I have to say here...

Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
What is the opinion of Zelos on Varus? Might the introduction of Varus prompt Zelos to join the League?

And does Zelos think those pants are in style?
This is some good fishing. No news to announce about Zelos, unfortunately, he's still missing. However, I think it's safe to say he'd have a high opinion of those pants.

--------------

Series of Void/Nautilus/Corruption questions: there are similarities, though really, I'm not trying to send anyone in one direction or another with them. I'd like to see some expansion on all of these things, just nothing is public at the moment.

--------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Kassad View Post
What is a Pit of Pallas?
It's the name of the pit that held the corruption. (If you knew that and wanted more details, sorry, I just wanted to make sure you understood the base there.) I don't, at this time, have more to tell you about the history of this temple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eph289 View Post
Question ignored. q.q
Woops, I didn't mean to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryptomine View Post
I got the picture of Varus having became a 'spirit of vengeance' more so than an actual complex person after having gained the corruption. A man who became a monster because he wasn't strong enough to remain a man. To see him painted more as actually fighting against the corruption while attempting to manipulate it for his goals is... different. (Can't say for sure which path I think is more interesting.)
I see it more as him fighting to retain his cognition so he can direct its power to achieve his ends before he loses himself. It's sort of a piece of both versions you mentioned.

Quote:
Also, about his death animation, I kind of pictured his bow and hand overloading and even exploding as the blackness spread and consumed him entirely. To see him instead stab himself is interesting. Besides being an obvious homage to WC3 Demon Hunter, is this meant to suggest him killing himself is an attempt to keep the corruption from completely taking over?
This is for you to decide. :-)

Quote:
Who is the better archer: pre-corruption Varus or Ashe? (assuming she doesn't get to use any of her frost magic)
Vashe, hands down.

Quote:
Also, I want to thank you for answering a Karma question! Sometimes I feel like Riot forgets she exists, but I actually think she has one of the most compelling backstories in this game. I instabought her after I read her quote: "her truest strength lies in the hearts of those willing to die alonside her." I'm not sure if you know who wrote that, but if you do, tell them that they are a LORE BOSS.
You bet! I think I wrote that one...it's been a while... I'll tell myself I'm a lore boss either way...although I might fight me for my loots...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omicron Gamer View Post
Where does Varus reside now?
I think he's generally on the go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renekton Bot View Post
Has Varus ever thought of tracking down the 13 treasures of Rule to get rid of the dark water eating his legs or is he worried he's going to get cancelled halfway through the next season?

Also now that his corruption is 'free' what's stopping it from, you know, 'chaining' off to someone else and then spreading across the world to devour everything?

"The threat of Renekton" is a viable answer.
I'm gonna go with...threat of Renekton and his croc babes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar Draconus View Post
Were you guys aware that Varus is also the named of a specific disability of the knees? I assume so since he is an archer. With arrows. Arrows and the knees.
We try to be aware of stuff... >.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mädchen View Post
Varus moves with a really inhuman, predatory sort of grace and prowl. Aside from the obvious corruption, has the the Blight affected Varus's physiology in ways other than that which is immediately obvious? He feels less like a human and more like an apex predator.
I think it has, although to what extent is up for grabs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mädchen View Post
Is there a possibility of the Blight spreading to other people, under any circumstance?
There's always a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravechaosknight View Post
Aww, if this is Riots official standpoint I'm highly disappointed. When I first read about Varus the very first thing I thought was "Man, he's going to hate Riven." Not cool!

This is mostly because in the vision I have of Riven, if she would have came across the Noxians pillaging his Village the very least she would have done is order her own troops not to partake, and to me she would have possibly sought out the Noxian commander and challenged their order to attack the village.
I'm confused...did you want him to hate her or like her? Also, though I know you see me as the official reporter here of lore, a lot of my answers in this thread are my opinions based on what I know of the lore moreso than structured story development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravechaosknight View Post
Now onto my question. I know his Judgement/Lore says that he went to the Institute of War to get closer to the Noxians responsible for the attack on Ionia, but is it also possible the Varus that is fighting to keep control knew that a) The Institute was probably the best hope he had of freeing himself of the corruption, and b) if he/they couldn't free him, they would at least be the best suited to be able contain the Monster he will eventually become from causing any further tragedies?
Those are certainly valid possibilities. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lceCar View Post
Was the temple that was holding the corruption thing there before the Rune Wars?

Also, I was under the impression that the JoJ was stopped in order to bring us lore in different ways, so I was surprised to see one released recently (not that I'm complaining). Can you shed some light on this?
Can't comment about the temple, don't want to address JoJ questions in this thread, sorry! I know that isn't much of an answer, I just didn't want to skip you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicDrive View Post
Can you tell us anything on the source of the corruption? Ionians were the one that kept it 'safe' so to speak, does that mean it came from them? Maybe a past mistake? Or would this be something from the void that maybe found its way in and it was the Ionians that were there to stop it in the past? It seems very important that it was kept under control so does that mean the other Ionian Champions are upset with Varus in releasing something so terrible?
History of corruption = :X

Other champions probably see Varus releasing the corruption in several different ways. Vayne might see it as wreckless and dangerous, Singed might find it interesting. Lots of different opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzJack View Post
Was there any inspiration taken from the archers and the wishing well in Samurai Jack?
If there was, I didn't hear about it. I do enjoy Samurai Jack though!

Quote:
See, now this really disappoints me. It's a really cool concept you have but it feels frustrating and ultimately worthless because we all know that Varus will never move past this transitional state. He can't, because he has to remain in-game with his current kit and design. I'm not complaining really, I understand this as an unfortunate limitation of the type of game this is, but its really frustrating to see so much build-up put into a character when you know there can never be real development or resolution to their character arc. This goes for others too (like Viktor), but I think Varus may highlight the point more than any other champion. The Ashe/Trynd marriage was the closest you guys ever got to this but for players this seemed to ultimately result in two new skins without any fundamental changes to who the characters are.

tl;dr when do we get 'full corruption Varus' legendary skin?
Heh, I know what you mean. That said, sometimes the journey is more interesting than reaching the destination. I have hope that we may find some ways to evolve champion stories for those who want to know more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metronomotopoeia View Post
So, once and for all, Varus's name was not based on any other meanings of the word? =)
I wouldn't not definitely not confirm the fact or not that it wasn't or was a thing you just said...or not. Once and for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exorno View Post
What's the significance of the necklace he grasps on his in-game model? I don't see that anywhere else, nor can I find anything about it in his background story.
While we were working on it, we were functioning on the assumption that this was one of the few mementos he kept of his family.

Opreich

05-09-2012

awww, i didnt want to wait till the next set.

BuzzJack

05-09-2012

Rather simple question, who came up with the concept of the blight crystal Varus skin?
Just want to give credit where credit is due.

Skribbles

Associate Writer

05-09-2012
8 of 13 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doosfin View Post
Making a guess: Nautilus and Varus were corrupted by the same/similar thing(s)
Guess noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azraethea View Post
Out of curiosity, is Varus' design influenced by the Legacy of Kain series at all? Particularly his Blight Crystal skin?
(Are there Legacy of Kain fans at Riot? 8D)
Again, not that I knew of, but I'm sure there are some Legacy of Kain fans here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylexus View Post
I'm really really glad that you lore guys stepped out of the shadows finally. I missed you and a Runaan a lot. So here's a hug for each of you: *+2 hugs*

I'm working on a cosplay for Varus as we speak and I'm also a huge lore junkie. I have a few questions, hopefully at least one of them can be answered.

1) Is Varus left or right handed?

2) Does his talisman necklace have any significance? If so, why is it not in his splash art and what significance does it have?

3) Why does he have a tiara? Is it like the signet of the temple guardians or something?

4) What is the weird glowy mirror thing on his torso belt?

5) Why is his scarf only slightly ripped in certain places?

6) Can we get a fully drawn picture of the tat on his right shoulder?

7) Was Riven the Noxian in command that led the attack on his village?

8) What would Varus think of champions such as Mordekaiser and Morgana who reside in Noxus and possibly affiliate with it but were never even remotely involved in the Noxus v Ionian conflict?

9) What kind of relations does Varus have with other Ionian champions?

10) How would Varus get along with Kassadin? As both seem to have been afflicted by corruptions.

11) Would you say Varus is True-Neutral?
Good luck with that costume, I look forward to the pictures!

1) Middle-handed.
2) Memento of the family, mentioned earlier.
3) I think it was an ornamentation of his office...let's not call it a tiara...
4) Pretty cool-looking, I think.
5) Those are the places it was exposed to ripping forces.
6) I'll see if I can find one...that would be cool.
7) I don't think so. To me their relationship (if we assume they have one) is based more on philosophical differences than anything that personal.
8) In my opinion, general distaste. I think he sees Noxians as people who did nothing to stop the horrors that occurred, but I think he's mostly concerned with hunting down everyone directly responsible in order to send a message.
9) At this point, I don't think he really has any relationships.
10) I don't think they would get in each other's ways or obstruct each other. I also think they're both too driven to really spend much time socializing.
11) I might say Lawful-Neutral. Or Lawful-Anti-Noxian-Invader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warscythes View Post
Which route would you prefer Varus go to?

-Dies due to the contamination, reborn as the new evil.
-Realizes his mistake and trap both himself and the virus/evil inside somewhere

Also since this is a game, Varus can never actually "die" , the virus can never take over him, otherwise his default model has to be remade(Although that would be pretty cool). How do you plan to flesh out his lore in the future with this kind of limitation?
Clever phrasing, Warscythes. I'd be interested to see how either direction would develop. I can't speak to plans for his future lore, sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfira View Post
hi skribbles, do you have an opinion on varus's blight crystal skin? is the blight skin still geared towards the whole hes about to die look?

-why does the bow have four arms?
~p.s. i really like varus, bowmen are just really cool
The skins are really meant to be fun visual explorations moreso than canon expansion. I think that was the primary driver of the skin's look. The bow has four arms because we felt that was also visually compelling and in line with the theme of the character, it has that dark, alien feel. I'm glad you like him!

exe3

05-09-2012

Yay for Void talk! Are you going to bring the Void back some day? It seems like it should be up there with Demacia and Noxus as a major faction yet it's all been forgotten about for a very long time.

In regards to the Noxus invasion of Ionia, that was based on the actual game matches hosted to determine where the lore would head towards correct? An experiment by Shurelia I think correct? It seems like a lot of characters since have links to that event so are there any plans on having more of these actual matches to determine where the lore heads towards? For the League of Legends to be so important in the lore, actual matches on the Fields of Justice in the lore seem pretty rare.

Finally reading this thread is actually a little depressing, your responses show that there seems to have been a lot of thought done on these characters and how they interact with the world and most importantly other characters (unless you're just winging it with some of these responses and making educated guesses at how the different characters would react). Yet all we get is the old JoJ's and the old Judgements that read like bad fan fiction (every piece of dialogue in the JoJ read like it came from the same character). We don't get this issue in game as character responses sound and feel right for their character but out of the game it's just...bad.

Finally finally, is there any thought or work going into character interactions in the game? What I mean is that so far Renekton is the ONLY champion to even reference another champion in the entire game which really breaks the lore imo as it doesn't feel real, it just feels like a bunch of random individuals having fights that have no life beyond this fight. Another example (though weaker than Renekton) is Graves jokingly saying 'i've got your darkness' when using smokescreen on Nocturne. These are cool interactions and acknowledgments of other champions in the League and honestly the game should be full of them.