I fear for the future of Riven :(

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grizley

05-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krebstar View Post
Is this the "more buttons pushed = harder" argument? Also, some of those champions need to be played perfectly more than others. Poorly-played Riven does perfectly fine, much better than poorly-played Jax, Jarvan, Wukong, etc. When considering top balance, I think people should consider how many bad matchups a champ has and how strong their laning is for how strong a lategame it grants. I'd argue both of these place Riven very high in strength. Lastly, as mentioned elsewhere, if sustain keeps getting nerfed, Riven (as a champ designed to deal w/ sustain w/o having any of her own) will need to be nerfed as well to stay balanced.
No, it's a matter of making sure that every autoattack is empowered by her passive without wasting any passive charges or wasting the cooldown on Q. While also using the right skills at the right time.

Lee has a similar mechanic with energy management and wanting to autoattack twice between abilities in a perfect world.

For instance, here is a max damage combo for Riven.

R + Ignite + AA + Q + AA + W + AA + Q + AA + E + AA + Q + AA + R

Show me another champ that has a combo anywhere near that complex to maximize their damage.

Here are a couple of other simpler ones used for different purposes.

Chasing:
Q + Q + E + Flash + Q + AA + W + AA + ...

Jump the squishy in a teamfight:
R + E + Flash + W + AA + Q + R + ...

There is a lot more animation cancelling, autoattack timing and the like in those than you will see in any champ other than Lee Sin.

A Riven that just goes QQQ E W at you will do laughable damage. A Riven that catches your harass on her shield and then lays down a well timed combo will do very well. Again, this is fully intended. You get outplayed, you get punished.

One example that I think is very good is Riven vs Olaf. Equally skilled Olaf probably wins most of the time. If however the Riven can anticipate his E and catch most/all of them on her shield then she will bully Olaf. Note that it's VERY hard to catch an instant attack on the shield, but it feels so very very pro when you do.

Stephiroth

05-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunaria View Post
She's not really OP at all, She just beats the stuff people want to play top lane

She's really good against warwick, lee sin, irelia, nasus, cho'gath, and the like
Riven is pretty much an anti-bruiser

but characters with slows and snares and especially silences beat the snot out of her. Rumble has advantage, olaf outdoes her pretty easily, ryze and morgana both beat her, kennen can harass her out of lane pretty easily, Garen out trades her every single time and his passive regen is way better than her natural regen.
I'm sure there's plenty of others but people are so resistant to going against "the meta" that they don't even try.
Just off the top of my head i'm betting fiddlesticks and lux would shut her down. Soraka too, anyone with a silence really hurts riven a ton

The only OP thing about her is she goes against the player made meta and people resist going against it.
I have totally been bullied out of lane by Kennen and Morg :c Stuff is hard.

Especially when I had Morg/Hecarim duo top lane, while I was solo top Riven. Definitely lost my turret early. :/

Xypherous

Systems Designer

05-07-2012
1 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
It's like Xypherous says, Riven has too much free mobility right now.

Take away her mobility, and her high damage will be just fine.

Riven is way too low risk right now for what she rewards.
I'm pretty sure I've never said this - Please don't spread misinformation about what reds have said.

Zerglinator

05-07-2012

Xypherous hath spoken!

TheAbraxis

05-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
I'm pretty sure I've never said this - Please don't spread misinformation about what reds have said.
I heard you once made a statement about normalizing all auto attacks to a consistent standard, is this true?

Grads

05-07-2012

Riven is fine right now. The 32/40 armor rune pages really screw her over in lane and limit her early game strength.

Dewaholic

05-07-2012

Some one search's for there name pretty often eh?

On topic though, Riven isn't that bad just dont derp around in a lane with here and you should be fine.

Aitchy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-07-2012

Quote:
It's like Xypherous says, Riven has too much free mobility right now.

Take away her mobility, and her high damage will be just fine.

Riven is way too low risk right now for what she rewards.
Hahahahaha, I lol'd.

If you take away her mobility and her high damage you are deleting her from the game, dumb ass, plus, like Xyphe said, he never said any of that c r a p.

Brobat

05-07-2012

Riven is balanced. In every single one of those threads you will find two things:

People exhaustively listing the ways to counter and/or beat Riven
AND
People making fun of the OP for being a bad player

Best Atheist NA

05-07-2012

Champions with gap closers always get complained about. In Riven's case, she has a gap closer, a stun, AND a shield. Her kit is amazing, and even though I don't play her, I have a hard time countering her in top lane. The only thing she lacks is sustain, but its hard to trade damage with her, regardless.