Honestly Guys it needs to stop.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kolgax

Senior Member

04-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessTeapot View Post
Just a heads up, some might see the word 'homophobe' as a label, as well. In fact, many psychologists disagree with it's use.. as it isn't a phobia at all. If a person does not like homosexuality, it's an opinion, not a phobia. There is no evidence to suggest they are secretly afraid of gays. I'm not saying it's fine to trash on gays, just commenting on a bit of a pet peeve.
I'm a bit unsure about this. It's basically a word trying to mean the same kinda thing as 'racist.' But if you think about it it probably makes sense in most cases. I don't think someone who hates gays is going to be very comfortable in a gay bar... But you may be right, that may not always be the case. There just doesn't exist a proper word for it though...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FearlessTeapot

Senior Member

04-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolgax View Post
I'm a bit unsure about this. It's basically a word trying to mean the same kinda thing as 'racist.' But if you think about it it probably makes sense in most cases. I don't think someone who hates gays is going to be very comfortable in a gay bar... But you may be right, that may not always be the case. There just doesn't exist a proper word for it though...
I would say bigoted probably matches best. And the gay bar analogy doesn't really work. For example, someone may be fine around a snake, but flip out in a snake pit. That doesn't really mean he has a phobia.


Edit: Not that' I'm comparing a gay bar to a snake pit lol. Though honestly, I've been in them a few times, and gay men are rather aggressive in such places in my experience.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tryndamere

President / Co-Founder

Follow MarcMerrill on Twitter

04-27-2012
13 of 13 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Player behavior is a very important challenge that we would like to start tackling in 2012. In fact, when I was working on my PhD, Riot approached me to specifically work on features related to player behaviors.

With Pendragon at the helm, Team Player Behavior & Justice has been hard at work and some of you may have seen some of our progress with matchmaking improvements (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1976101).

For months, Rioters on this team like Pendragon, Zileas, Yegg, StatusKwoh, davin and me have been taking notes about all the hot topic behavioral issues our players are concerned about and we have developed a solid plan for this year. However, give us a bit more time--we will be more than happy to talk about the future of player behavior soon.
Team PB&J FTW!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kolgax

Senior Member

04-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessTeapot View Post
I would say bigoted probably matches best. And the gay bar analogy doesn't really work. For example, someone may be fine around a snake, but flip out in a snake pit. That doesn't really mean he has a phobia.
A fair point. But he might after being in the pit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessTeapot View Post
Edit: Not that' I'm comparing a gay bar to a snake pit lol. Though honestly, I've been in them a few times, and gay men are rather aggressive in such places in my experience.
I didn't assume you were, for the record - neither was I.

But Bigoted is not specific enough. If you say someone is sexist, you know we are talking about gender. If you say someone is racist you know we are talking about race. Unfortunately there really isn't another word for that kind of dislike specific to orientation...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Joyproject

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

04-27-2012

Don't feed the trolls.. when you feed them, you are part of the problem. Telling them you are female makes you part of the problem. They don't need this information, so why are you willingly handing it over? This only shows your lack of maturity. Put them on mute and play league of legends. By all means make a post about how awful trolls are; but there is no good reason to tell them your gender, seriously.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

kl3rk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-27-2012

It seems like your argument is the community is bad, and that your a girl...

WHOA BIG NEWS!

Edit: downvote because I speak the truth?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XenocideEnder

Senior Member

04-27-2012

Harassment isn't JUST directed at women in games. It's directed at anyone who's playing poorly, anyone who does something accidentally wrong, anyone who does something 'different' that isn't following the disgustingly strict meta, anyone who picks a champ that seems weak according to the vast and all-knowing strict meta...

If you think this is a problem of gender, you're sorely mistaken. And it's not just kiddies that are doing it, either; players who think they're pro because they watch pros, or players that have been playing so long the *exact same way* that they think they know everything over newer, more noobish players. They're all guilty. In our own small ways, too, WE'RE all guilty if we let it happen to others or to ourselves. NO ONE is blameless. We've allowed this toxicity to continue in our community, and we've let this vocal majority rule us.

They need to be put in their place, but we also need to stand up and fight for ourselves against them so that they don't come back once we've got them taken care of to a reasonable extent.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kolgax

Senior Member

04-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyproject View Post
Don't feed the trolls.. when you feed them, you are part of the problem. Telling them you are female makes you part of the problem. They don't need this information, so why are you willingly handing it over? This only shows your lack of maturity. Put them on mute and play league of legends. By all means make a post about how awful trolls are; but there is no good reason to tell them your gender, seriously.
I would like to think that we should be able to be civilized without making all of our speech so bland.

Should we all go around wearing burkas from now on so no one can identify anything about us?

We don't need to clamp down on discussing it at all, just destructive conversation.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lunar Havoc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-27-2012

I would give my firstborn for a statistically controlled auto-mute function.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kolgax

Senior Member

04-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenocideEnder View Post
Harassment isn't JUST directed at women in games. It's directed at anyone who's playing poorly, anyone who does something accidentally wrong, anyone who does something 'different' that isn't following the disgustingly strict meta, anyone who picks a champ that seems weak according to the vast and all-knowing strict meta...

If you think this is a problem of gender, you're sorely mistaken. And it's not just kiddies that are doing it, either; players who think they're pro because they watch pros, or players that have been playing so long the *exact same way* that they think they know everything over newer, more noobish players. They're all guilty. In our own small ways, too, WE'RE all guilty if we let it happen to others or to ourselves. NO ONE is blameless. We've allowed this toxicity to continue in our community, and we've let this vocal majority rule us.

They need to be put in their place, but we also need to stand up and fight for ourselves against them so that they don't come back once we've got them taken care of to a reasonable extent.
You may have 4 internets from me good sir!