Honestly Guys it needs to stop.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shiliski

04-26-2012

I think the point that many of you seem to be missing is this:
If I point out the fact that I'm a guy, I get no **** for it.
If OP points out the fact that she's a girl, she gets **** for it.

This is, by definition, gender inequality and in a very negative way. We don't make African Americans sit in the back of the bus anymore. We shouldn't be doing this ****, either.

Fluffyburrito

04-26-2012

Couple things I have to say about this. Firstly, I think your reaction to this is all wrong.

You say you get flamed in game and then respond like this?

"Go suck your own ****' and then say something like 'We don't have ****s but our nonexistent ****s are probably bigger then your own'. But the majority of the time we just act like guys and try to ignore it because of the pathetic BS we get from most of the community.)"

You're simply adding to the fire and being hypocritical when you respond like that. The easiest way to deal with these people is simply to /ignore them. If it happens in game, you can report them. Out of game, which lasts a mere SIXTY SECONDS, I highly doubt you're having flame competitions. In regards to the enemy team, you have no communication with them during this phase anyway. And what would even set off a team argument before hand?

The easiest way to deal with a troll is simply to /ignore them. This is also the greatest insult to them: to be ignored. Even though you say this needs to stop you're not acknowledging that:

1) This is the internet. As long as a form of communication exists that is not face to face and is anonymous in general people/kids will ignore that and spew whatever insults they desire.

2) There is already a system in place to stop it. The Tribunal. In-game, you simply /ignore someone and then report them for harassment later.

Your "guys, this is mean and needs to stop" thread here makes no sense because there are systems in place to deal with harassment already and the internet will always be like this.

P.S.

I've seen a few of your videos on escapist and I have to say I don't really like them. Mainly, I think it's a bit jarring hearing your distorted voice. If you're really not ashamed to be a girl gamer, why don't you just use your normal voice instead of forcing listeners to hear this one? If you made a poll asking members if they would like a real voice or that voice, I guarantee you they'd like a real one.

Although I certainly don't have direct proof to demonstrate it, and forgive me for how harsh this sounds, your videos in general seem to hint your audience is stupid and you have some sort of brilliant theory.

AbyssalArtorias

04-26-2012

Isnt this what the tribunal is for? If you act out of line on the regular you get banned. And honestly 2 people a game deserve to get reported? Come on, really? That's either hyperbole or you are reacting in a way that exacerbates the situation.

And how in the world can you possibly say the halo community is better than this one? You honestly have to be joking with that one.

XsjadoStryque

04-26-2012

kitchen....

Fluffyburrito

04-26-2012

Sorry for a second post so quickly but:

"Say you walk into a room with a flesh eating terrifying monster. Sure, you can get out very quickly and lock the door behind you, therefore locking the monster inside but isn't it better to just already have the monster locked inside with a nice little warning that says 'Warning: Monster held inside' so that you don't have to see it's terrifying face?
that's what auto-mute would do."

This example makes no sense; because /ignoring the monster would also get rid of the offensive verbal abuse. It's not as if their actions in game can hurt you. (Aka, teabagging or something.)

And you do know /ignoring the "monster" makes them ignored for you forever right?

Purple Ppl Eatr

04-26-2012

The immature actions of the minority of males I believe comes out as a problem with Gaming culture. I know you've said that this isn't a problem everywhere, but frankly I disagree. Perhaps you didn't run into the immature flamer//sexist//racist user in any of those games but I assure you they were there. Anecdotal evidence is kinda weaksauce, but I've seen actions like this in pretty much every online game I've played (sc2, d2, Dark Age of Camelot, ffxi, eq2, rift, warhammer online, Halo Reach, HoN, LoL, etc.). There's a healthy share of sh*t talkers in every game. Personally I believe that the gamer community has such a problem with this both because it is a form of a mental game in some situations (someone on the other team insulting you to make you angry so you play sloppily) and because of the way that gamers are lead to objectify women. Does this statement seem strong to you? Think about it. Who does G4 hire as a gaming talk show host... either someone from the demographic you mentioned (straight white young adult male) or a really attractive woman. Additionally gender roles within video games generally seem to provide female characters with a weak position. What was the last videogame you played in which the protagonist was female and was not specifically designed by you as in skyrim? For me it was Mirror's Edge (an awesome if short game). The guys who are overly nice probably arn't trying to be sexist, they are just socially awkward gamers who have no point of reference of how to act nice to the opposite ***, so they do it as best they can in a video game. I suggest you try not to take offense to these people as they already lead sad enough lives.

I also wanted to mention that saying "we don't have ****s, but if we did ours would be bigger than yours" is virtually begging for one of these people to offer a retort. This is significantly more likely if they are on the opposing team, as sh*t talking generally functions in a system of replies. (player A says "you're a b*tch", player B says "you suck on big p*nis", player A THEN SAYS ..." ) There is no reasoning with people locked into the depths of sh*t talking, and your catty reply simply encourages it.

All this said there is hope. Meet some other people in real life that play league of legends (for example my university has a Student Life Center with a bunch of computers set up where people primarily play Leage or HoN.) There's also a League of Legends club, wherein there are multiple female members and I've never seen one abused verbally. These types of organizations of your peers will provide you with the most friendly gaming environment. Once again in this situation if someone hits on you or tries to be specially nice to you I'd suggest against taking offense as this person is likely socially inept. Just politely say that you're not interested or mention your boyfriend (whether you have one or not) and it should stop. If you lash out you will likely crush the fragile worldview that "nice guy" has assembled, and then there's a chance that you just produced one of the people this thread was made to flame about. True misogynist hatred generally stems from rejection and negative experiences.

Thats my 2 cents. Don't downvote me too hard.

Doctor Vosa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-26-2012

Bampin.

Automute players who are muted.

bledwhite

04-26-2012

The ignore function is irrelevant because these people get away with things that they shouldn't be getting away with, even if we ignore them. That is the problem.

Mr T Virus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-26-2012

I am Mr T Virus and I approve of the auto-mute idea!

FilthySaint

04-26-2012

+1 Specifically for Black Mage.

Sword chucks, yo.