Honestly Guys it needs to stop.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A Valid Target

04-25-2012

Alright, I'm probably going to get attacked for this, but if there are any females getting harassed because of their gender, just stop mentioning you're a girl. Please. This is probably going to contradict what I just said, but I'm a girl and I NEVER get verbally harassed because I don't reveal my gender. It just seems--pointless. If you're trying to build a LoL relationship, that's one thing, but it's another for your gender to "accidentally" come out. Once again, sorry if that sounds harsh.

Don't get me wrong, at first it used to get to me. But I guess I learned. Or got desensitized. Whatever, it doesn't matter because it doesn't affect me. Now, I never get harassed based on my gender, and whenever another player tries to piss me off, which is once in a blue moon (maybe I'm lucky, who knows), I just laugh it off.

The truth is, the harassers are probably 12 year old kids who are still trying to figure out how to hide their *****s after co-ed gym class. Why not just laugh them off? They don't know you personally or really anything about you, so why let it get to you? Because you're not doing well one game? Christ, pretty much everyone has a bad game.

Maybe I'm just desensitized by it, and I'm sure my experience doesn't match others, but I feel like the muting a player who is constantly ignored isn't going to solve much. Or maybe it will, I don't know. But it's like trying to stop cyber-bullying. Sure, you might be able to quiet a few people down, but there's always a way.

I'm all for the idea of trying, but I don't think it's an "end all" solution. Besides, there might be some unwanted consequences. We just have to toughen up our skin, guys, and learn to laugh a little! Yeah, it's a competitive game, yeah sometimes you may get emotional, but they're other players, just like you.

Wow--that was obnoxiously long. Woops.

Mathuzalis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-25-2012

I got about 10 pages into this, and I have to say the amount of ignorance hurts, And everyone who is bashing on Tenshinmon is just proving her point. You're making the community as a whole look bad it doesn't matter if we have a few diamonds here or there in the community that stand out and look great if the community on the whole looks like **** it just feels like those diamonds are wasted.

Tenshinmon I want to thank you for have the courage or conviction to stand up and post this, the systems and restrictions in the video seem completely feasible to get done. I've shared this on my Clan's site and I hope the people there spread it around as well.

Thanks to you again for bringing this to the communities attention. Try to ignore the ragers and trolls they'll come here in their outrage and ignorance, but if this sees fruition it will greatly limit their freedom to do so.

DavasiaN

04-25-2012

Maybe I am missing something, but how is muting the player a more effective punishment than a ban? In most cases, raging/trolling is a way for players to vent their anger or frustration. If you take away their chatting ability, they will find other ways to rage/troll: intentionally being uncooperative, intentionally feeding, intentionally playing poorly, etc.

Additionally, you already have the option of muting players. They aren't even notified that you muted them, which is even better. The best way to deal with a troll is just to ignore them, not to acknowledge that their troll/rage "worked."

Teemo Support GG

04-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Valid Target View Post
Alright, I'm probably going to get attacked for this, but if there are any females getting harassed because of their gender, just stop mentioning you're a girl. Please. This is probably going to contradict what I just said, but I'm a girl and I NEVER get verbally harassed because I don't reveal my gender. It just seems--pointless. If you're trying to build a LoL relationship, that's one thing, but it's another for your gender to "accidentally" come out. Once again, sorry if that sounds harsh.

Don't get me wrong, at first it used to get to me. But I guess I learned. Or got desensitized. Whatever, it doesn't matter because it doesn't affect me. Now, I never get harassed based on my gender, and whenever another player tries to piss me off, which is once in a blue moon (maybe I'm lucky, who knows), I just laugh it off.

The truth is, the harassers are probably 12 year old kids who are still trying to figure out how to hide their *****s after co-ed gym class. Why not just laugh them off? They don't know you personally or really anything about you, so why let it get to you? Because you're not doing well one game? Christ, pretty much everyone has a bad game.

Maybe I'm just desensitized by it, and I'm sure my experience doesn't match others, but I feel like the muting a player who is constantly ignored isn't going to solve much. Or maybe it will, I don't know. But it's like trying to stop cyber-bullying. Sure, you might be able to quiet a few people down, but there's always a way.

I'm all for the idea of trying, but I don't think it's an "end all" solution. Besides, there might be some unwanted consequences. We just have to toughen up our skin, guys, and learn to laugh a little! Yeah, it's a competitive game, yeah sometimes you may get emotional, but they're other players, just like you.

What are microphones/headets?
Get out.

DayDemonz

04-25-2012

Please don't get mixed up with people who harass, and people who troll... The only reason people get harassed is because people get offended. I never lived "back in the day" but I always hear people say it was a lot tougher back then, blah blah blah, and sadly, I kinda wish it was like that.

descimation

04-25-2012

This entire thread is polarized to the extreme. People on the internet act stupid. They shouldn't, but they do. The only advice I can give you is deal with it. It sounds generic and rude, but it's true. People hate change, and so it will be a very long time until the internet is civilized. Once that day comes, fantastic, but until that day you must, unfortunately, deal with it.

underdevelopment

04-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futonlol View Post
Which proves my point, if someone is auto muted how would that stop them from making a new account? Your point is moot.
The two months it takes them to reach level 30 generally.

Most people stop after a permaban, unless you're some video game addicted nerd.

underdevelopment

04-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Valid Target View Post

You are the Uncle Tom of your gender. Keep preaching that status quo.

That is all.

UrsaMinor

04-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavasiaN View Post
Maybe I am missing something, but how is muting the player a more effective punishment than a ban? In most cases, raging/trolling is a way for players to vent their anger or frustration. If you take away their chatting ability, they will find other ways to rage/troll: intentionally being uncooperative, intentionally feeding, intentionally playing poorly, etc.

Additionally, you already have the option of muting players. They aren't even notified that you muted them, which is even better. The best way to deal with a troll is just to ignore them, not to acknowledge that their troll/rage "worked."
That's what I was thinking when they said stuff about muting.

PetalDance

04-25-2012

I do think things need to change as a large. It's irrelevant if it's women, men, dogs or cats getting trolled or poisoning other people's experiences.
As a 2k rated player, I understand the frustration that people experience when their team plays badly or does something you don't agree with. But people really need to let go of things, just relax and enjoy the game for what it is and not lose their **** because a person has a bad game or makes a mistake.

I'm not sure of a definitely solution, but do agree it is a problem.