State of Xerath and the passive change that never happened?

First Riot Post
12345678 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DreamsOfGrandeur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
This - we liked the idea, but in practice it was insane if we ever made the number meaningful.
While you're here, might I probe your thoughts?

I heard that Xerath was once considered for having passive that boosted damage based on how far away the targets were, if I remember correctly, to simulate how he's similar to a turret. But this idea received negatives in that people felt they were losing damage if dealing with close-ranged champions.

Wouldn't it make more sense for the damage to increase based on proximity towards Xerath, over away from him?
It occurred to me that turrets should be more threatening if you are standing closer. Just like the actual turrets in the game; if you're being targeted for a turret shot, being closer increases your chances of taking a second or third hit over only one hit alone.

This would have been also a solution to Xerath's current issue with tanky dps and melee champions, despite having bonus armor from his passive.

This would also encourage meaningful risk-reward plays, as Xerath could choose to get in close for higher output, or choose to stay at the sidelines in favor of safety.

THE LOVE TONIGHT

04-20-2012

LOL Xerath is almost as strong as say cass, its just taht no one (including me ) can play him

shadedealer

04-20-2012

I'm a regular xerath player, and he's not boring at all. The fun is trying to hit your enemies with that Q and anticipating their movements

His passive is fine, but if it were to be changed, then instead of pure armor bonus from AP, perhaps it should be half that value (or less) and applied to both armor and magic resist. Say instead of 15% armor, it'll be 5% armor + 5% MR, this will be a slight nerf but the value is gained back in MR stat

Another note. His W cooldown (rank 1-3) I think is way too long on early game. If cut maybe 2-3 seconds it'll be ok. It is fine however mid-late (rank 3-5) game

ZakaBreezy

04-20-2012

guys xerath isnt underpowered, i honestly think he is extremely balanced and can be really powerful in the right hands. Watch shushei play xerath and u'll know hes nowhere near being underpowered

Morello

Lead Designer

04-20-2012
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelamar View Post
So can you maybe go in a different direction or is it just case closed on Xerath? That passive as is doesn't really promote any kind of play or decision making. Its just kinda....there. Very "meh" feeling.
That's our thought too. We'll likely poke at it as opportunity arises, but we'd rather focus live's efforts on Karma, Stealth and general balance for right now.

ChaosBloodterfly

04-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelamar View Post
Xerath needs a bump in power though. At this point nobody plays him because he isn't up to par power wise.
Higher lvl 6 burst then leblanc needs more power...

Moderately Dirty

04-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosBloodterfly View Post
Higher lvl 6 burst then leblanc needs more power...
With the same mobility and cooldown of total burst as Leblanc.

Oh wait...

Niteclaw1028

04-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
That's our thought too. We'll likely poke at it as opportunity arises, but we'd rather focus live's efforts on Karma, Stealth and general balance for right now.
Bad wording, Morello. Cue the unneeded speculation!

DreamsOfGrandeur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteclaw1028 View Post
Bad wording, Morello. Cue the unneeded speculation!
What bad wording?

They're always focused on general balance to some degree, and they ARE focusing on Stealth and Karma presently.

Rhiljeryne

04-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsOfGrandeur View Post

Wouldn't it make more sense for the damage to increase based on proximity towards Xerath, over away from him?
It occurred to me that turrets should be more threatening if you are standing closer. Just like the actual turrets in the game; if you're being targeted for a turret shot, being closer increases your chances of taking a second or third hit over only one hit alone.
I thought of that as well initially, then went back to what Classick was saying about how it felt like a penalty to fight up close with the ranged passive test. On the other side of the coin this would create a similar problem where the incentive to maximize damage would be to get up close thereby making long range combat feel penalizing instead.

Edit: I think he needs something like a pseudo-rage bar like shyvana so his damage isn't tied directly to distance but still promotes that style of game play overall.

12345678 ... 9