LoLU Lesson 1: Attitude

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MikeLemmer

04-18-2012

Greetings, summoners. I am Mike Lemmer, Assistant Bookkeeper and Part-Time Professor of LoLU. Recently I've noticed a lot of new players asking for assistance on the same topics: last-hitting, basic ganking, common item builds, the general framework for properly playing LoL. Since running through these basics with a student individually typically takes a few hours, it's quite a time investment to cover the same things over & over again. Since I'm not paid for this by the hour, I'm interested in cutting that down a bit. So I went to Rai with a request. It went something like this:

Me: "Rai, may I please write a series of basic guides for playing LoL on the forums under LoLU's banner?"
Rai: "Go for it. Just one thing."
Me: "Yes?"
Rai: "If they suck, I was drunk when you asked."
Me: "Er, alright..."

As much as I'd like to jump straight into the tantalizing details of killing minions and buying stuff, I should cover the one thing that can destroy a player faster than anything else: attitude. A horrible player that's pleasant to play with will still get invites, friend requests, advice, and eventually improve. The whiners get ignored or, occasionally, taken out back and beaten with 2x4s. ("Shut up!" *WHACK* "Shut up!" *WHACK* "Shut up!") Good luck getting invites or advice from someone that wants to duct tape your mouth shut.

Without further adieu, let's start with...

1. Don't insult your teammates.
The big one. Make yourself feel good while completely scuttling team morale! Distract your allies from actually playing! Be an ass!

Look, forget the stuff about sportsmanship, the politeness, etc, you've heard that before. Insulting teammates is just plain stupid. Even the Playing to Be Evil guide to LoL balked at insulting teammates, and for good reason: people tend to play worse after being chewed out, not better. Insults and complaints lead to hilarious failures like:

-Dying while distracted typing out an insult.
-Dying while distracted typing out a rebuttal.
-Dying because they /ignored you just before you had something vital to say, like "all 5 mia".
-Dying because they're focusing more on the argument than the game.
-Teammates giving up because they're tired of listening to the whining.

In short, insulting teammates scuttles your team's chances of winning just so you can feel better for a bit. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

There's 2 subcategories to this I think deserve special attention:

1a. Dying to an MIA is not their fault.
Calling MIAs is a courtesy, not a duty. You have a minimap; you can glance at it and see who's missing, too. If you don't have the time to look at it, why do you expect them to have the time to type out "1 bot mia" every time an enemy disappears?

Insulting someone for not calling an MIA is just a way of shifting blame from "I didn't look at my minimap" to "you didn't type a message every time they disappeared". Take responsibility for your own survival.

1b. It's Kill SECURING, Not Kill Stealing.
"Kill stealer" is the stupidest complaint in LoL, mainly used by players more concerned about their Kills/Deaths ratio than actually winning. Here's why I hate it so much:

-90% of the time, the accused was just making sure the enemy wouldn't get away (Kill SECURING). Maybe he got late to the party, or he was cutting off his escape route. Accusing him of KSing discourages him from assisting you in the future, increasing the odds of your targets surviving later.
-Even if they were kill stealing, most of the time it's beneficial to your team as a whole thanks to assist rewards. If one person kills an enemy champ, they get 300 gold. If two people kill an enemy champ, one gets 300 gold and the other gets 162 gold. That's 58% more gold overall for your team.
-If they weren't trying to kill steal, they'll be insulted by your accusation. If they were trying to kill steal, they won't care about your whining anyway.

2. Don't insult the enemy team.
Bad sportsmanship, 'nuff said.

3. Don't put yourself down.
It gives the whiners on your team ammo to shoot you with.

4. Don't disconnect.
This is the easiest way to piss off everyone you play with and get banned. Never, ever DC. If you think you have no chance of winning, start a surrender vote. If it doesn't pass, don't throw a hissy fit & leave. Just finish the game; it won't kill you and you might pull a win out of it.

5. Don't say "bg" at the end.
What you're really saying is, "I'm not mature enough to graciously accept a defeat, so I'm gonna find an excuse for not winning and insult somebody all in one parting shot!"

6. Don't get discouraged.
Everyone makes stupid decisions, has bad games, goes through losing streaks, gets insulted & mocked by others. (Fun question to ask pro players: How often has someone demanded you uninstall?) Let that tear you down and you'll quit improving and drive off anyone that wants to help you. (Mentors don't like whiners. If they thought you didn't have potential, they wouldn't waste time teaching you.)

7. Play more PvP.
Bots are too predictable. Past the basics, focusing on Coop games makes you play worse. Wean yourself off them ASAP. Why are you primarily playing Coop games, anyway? Is it because you're afraid of making a fool out of yourself in an actual game? Don't be. (See #5.) You're gonna make a fool out of yourself starting out anyway; might as well start doing that in the low-levels where (nearly) everyone is fools.

But first... you should fit in a few Custom 1v0 games. Why? I'll explain that in the next lesson.

bobmuffinman

04-18-2012

Very nice Mike, this is a great idea and you have executed it brilliantly with some great advice. Maybe a link to the playing to be evil guide could be helpful for those that would like some further reading because it is really handy too and I did take a lot from it, but that could just be me.
Anyway good job
-Bobmuffinman

WhackedMaki

04-18-2012

Another one for you (it's more of a subset of 1)! If you get annoyed at the way a team mate is playing, instead of insulting them, try offering advice (I'm going off of that if you're annoyed at them for doing something wrong, you very well likely know what it is). Instead of "N00b janna buy wards you n00b" you could try "Janna, if you buy wards and place them here *ping* and here *ping* it could help stop us from getting ganked by their jungler." "team noob focuses singed" doesn't help nearly as much as "We should try focusing down Tristana first, she's the one dealing all the damage. We can go after Singed when she's dead."
People will respond to you waaaay better if you're kind and not insulting.

PodunkTheMighty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-19-2012

One time I had a teammate who was being annoying. Spamming chat, calling for surrender every chance, and just generally being a butt. However, he was still managing to be the most helpful and capable member of my team. Instead of raging, I told him "I appreciate you." He said "Thank you, that's all I wanted." and played the rest of the game well, without being a pain.

True story.

MikeLemmer

04-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmuffinman View Post
Very nice Mike, this is a great idea and you have executed it brilliantly with some great advice. Maybe a link to the playing to be evil guide could be helpful for those that would like some further reading because it is really handy too and I did take a lot from it, but that could just be me.
Anyway good job
-Bobmuffinman
I debated whether to, but much of the advice in it runs counter to the main points I'm making here. (It has an entire chapter devoted to using psychological warfare by mocking your enemies.) That's not the first guide I want to link to novices. I cited it here to show that even a guide that throws sportsmanship out the window and uses every tactic possible to win agrees that insulting teammates backfires horribly.

If you still want to read it, it can be Googled easily enough as-is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhackedMaki View Post
Another one for you (it's more of a subset of 1)! If you get annoyed at the way a team mate is playing, instead of insulting them, try offering advice (I'm going off of that if you're annoyed at them for doing something wrong, you very well likely know what it is). Instead of "N00b janna buy wards you n00b" you could try "Janna, if you buy wards and place them here *ping* and here *ping* it could help stop us from getting ganked by their jungler." "team noob focuses singed" doesn't help nearly as much as "We should try focusing down Tristana first, she's the one dealing all the damage. We can go after Singed when she's dead."
People will respond to you waaaay better if you're kind and not insulting.
I debated putting that in, but decided against it because it's too easy to screw up giving advice and turn it into an insult. (That and any novices reading this article probably don't know enough about the game yet to give good advice.) I should cover it later, since I know a couple professors that gripe to their students when they do something boneheaded in a game (although that requires a very specific method to pull off), but I didn't want to dilute the main message too much.

Although really quickly, here's what I think you need to get someone to improve their game with a complaint:

1. A previous connection helps. People aren't as likely to take a complaint poorly if it comes from someone they've played with before and trust.
2. Choose a specific thing to gripe about. Note that WhackedMaki didn't use general complaints about someone, he singled out specific behaviors.
3. Immediately offer an alternative. This separates advice from insults and gives the target something to consider other than the thought of what an ass the complainer is.
4. Mention it once and drop it. One mention is all it should take to chide him without infuriating him. If you're still talking about it by the time he respawns and reaches the front lines, you're dwelling on it too long.

More 2 This Life

04-19-2012

luv this post!!!

Sara Leah

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-19-2012

umm... just a thought...

could you email this to all the players lvl 30? many seem to have no clue to these ideas.

Best luck Always =)

G Lovv

04-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Leah View Post
umm... just a thought...

could you email this to all the players lvl 30? many seem to have no clue to these ideas.

Best luck Always =)
How about all players period?

CoolBreeze95

04-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLemmer View Post
But first... you should fit in a few Custom 1v0 games. Why? I'll explain that in the next topic.
Where is this, next topic?

MissOmNomNom

04-19-2012

Thanks for the thread! I said Kill Securing to someone last game when I was trying to block their path because the enemy was getting away and that person didn't accuse me of KSing anymore. x3