Riot, I miss the old you.

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 39
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dewaholic

04-17-2012

Edit: 1/28/14
Well Riot, I am sorry but I am bringing this thread back to life, at least part of it.
The LORE.

This thread is almost 2 years old now, and I was beyond pleased with the response that this generated. However after almost 2 years of awaiting all this great lore..... I am a little confused.

There has still been less lore, there have been events that had lore, you have went back and changed lore, yet when you step back and look at the bigger picture its still less lore than before.

When I read Coronach's post I got exited about the sweet lore things to come. Well almost 2 years later, I'll be honest I am a little let down. There have been some spikes in lore that I did enjoy dont get me wrong. Sadly overall though I have to say your lore department has been slacking.

Right now the only way I see new lore coming from riot is with a new champion (these are slowing down) or during events (not that common, and often have "curve ball" esq lore).

Its been almost 2 years now, Morello clearly said that they could say no more about the upcoming lore. Well.... perhaps you can say something about it now?

------------------------------------------------------
I started well before season 1 and I remember having such high hopes for riot, not just league of legends but the company its self. However you have been every so slowly losing the traits that made me such a big fan and it makes me sad.

Let me start of with the lack of lore as of late. I used to enjoy reading league judgments just as much as I enjoyed new champions. It was often the case that after reading a judgment I would want that champion, knowing the lore behind why they where there and what they where fighting for when I summoned them was powerful. Here lately I find what little lore is being given to be a let down, I know you guys can do better!

The journal of justice is gone now too, that was always so amusing to read threw. I loved how it was set up almost like a news paper. I loved getting to know little bits of information I didn't know before about champions, and the world they live in. It really added to the fantasy of the game and gave it so much more depth. I dont understand what caused you guys to give up on the lore, but it makes me sad.

I'm not alone here, look at the insanity that followed when ironstylus and morello had there little "war" on the forums. It was great fun, there was a story, there was a reason for people to take sides and do things. There was a ton of community involvement in that, every one seemed to love it. Thats the kind of emotion and power that good lore has!

Lore aside, you guys are starting lose your transparency about what's going. I understand that with this large and ever growing player base its inevitable. However I really wish you could start being a bit more open about things. I loved the patch previews at first, that was a great step at letting people know why your doing the buffs and nerfs. Sadly they almost seem more like a short run threw of a couple of things your changing now than they do insight into the reason behind them. The more information and more of your thought processes you put in there, the less question's people are going to have!

Same thing goes for when you delay a patch, just let every one know its been delayed like you have been. You just need to keep people updated on it, you do good about it, really you do. However is it to much to ask for the post explaining that its been delayed to be updated daily with, "its not making it out today" or "it will be at least a couple of days before its out". I dont want you guys to set any kind of deadline on it, fixing it first is the main priority. Its just the more you let us know, the less we have to ask or wander.

You guys shouldn't fear community backlash over being open, if you know its going to take a lot of work to fix a patch just say so. If your trying to break a certain play style or meta with changes, just say so. Really the community should be glad for the information we get, and I know there's a large number of summoners who are thankful when your open about whats going on.

Those that rage, and post all these hateful threads or the flipping chair's meme threads are not all of us. Many of us come to the forums looking for information about whats going on, and its kind of a let down when things are being left in the dark. I do thank every single one of you rioters that post on the forums and try to help answer questions. Your doing such great things for your company in doing so.

This is a very long post, and a lot of rambling but I'm just trying to point out that your company is changing, and its not all for the better. I might be asking to much, I know you dont owe me any of this. I'm just trying to point out how I fill about it, and I cant be the only one.

I'm not going to point any fingers here and I'm not trying to step on any toe's but I cant help but wonder if Tencent could have any involvement in this. I've seen it happen before, a great company that care's about there game and its players gets bought out. Then over time they are slowly corrupted by the larger company losing what it was about them that was so great. I just hope you guys are standing your ground and doing what RIOT wants, not what the suits tell you.

I'm starting to get worried for you guys, the game is growing and has became so much better yet at the same time it's losing so much. I really just dont want to see you guys go down the slippery slope that I've seen so many others fall down. Blizzard and BioWare where company's I used to love, if a game had there tag, I had to have it. But now I wont touch any game they put out even if I want too. Why? there no longer putting out the quality titles that they used to, now there more worried about making there overlord parent company's happy than making a great game.

Tl:dr The old riot really changed the way I think of game company's. Over time there starting to lose some of there great traits and slide more into the ways of other company's. This is my way of making a plea and I can't help but fill I'm not the only that fills this way.

Edit: If you agree (the hole post not reading just the tl;dr) please +1 and post so riot see's that I'm not the only one that fills this way.

Edit 2: I'd like to thank riot for answering every thing I brought up in this post. Now for the community, while I do encourage feed back for riot. PLEASE keep it as constructive feedback not demoralizing or hate filled.

Poonertoots

04-17-2012

inb4 trolls

Netorekt

04-17-2012

sorry bro new riot only cares about appeasing their Chinese overlords and making tons of monies.
rip in piece riot.

Libra Man

04-17-2012

Nice post +1

XElement

04-17-2012

I did like reading the newspaper or whatever that was.
The lore behind this game is really interesting.
I'm a lore nerd. In WoW I did a lot of reading and what not.

And I love this lore as well, it is really nice.

Dewaholic

04-17-2012

Yes the lay out of the journal of justice was great.

NRHcHalfbak3d

04-17-2012

+1 riot is losing it's appeal and looking like a generic game company now

Coronach

Game Designer

04-17-2012
1 of 30 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewaholic View Post
I started well before season 1 and I remember having such high hopes for riot, not just league of legends but the company its self. However you have been every so slowly losing the traits that made me such a big fan and it makes me sad.

Let me start of with the lack of lore as of late. I used to enjoy reading league judgments just as much as I enjoyed new champions. It was often the case that after reading a judgment I would want that champion, knowing the lore behind why they where there and what they where fighting for when I summoned them was powerful. Here lately I find what little lore is being given to be a let down, I know you guys can do better!

The journal of justice is gone now too, that was always so amusing to read threw. I loved how it was set up almost like a news paper. I loved getting to know little bits of information I didn't know before about champions, and the world they live in. It really added to the fantasy of the game and gave it so much more depth. I dont understand what caused you guys to give up on the lore, but it makes me sad.

I'm not alone here, look at the insanity that followed when ironstylus and morello had there little "war" on the forums. It was great fun, there was a story, there was a reason for people to take sides and do things. There was a ton of community involvement in that, every one seemed to love it. Thats the kind of emotion and power that good lore has!

Lore aside, you guys are starting lose your transparency about what's going. I understand that with this large and ever growing player base its inevitable. However I really wish you could start being a bit more open about things. I loved the patch previews at first, that was a great step at letting people know why your doing the buffs and nerfs. Sadly they almost seem more like a short run threw of a couple of things your changing now than they do insight into the reason behind them. The more information and more of your thought processes you put in there, the less question's people are going to have!

Same thing goes for when you delay a patch, just let every one know its been delayed like you have been. You just need to keep people updated on it, you do good about it, really you do. However is it to much to ask for the post explaining that its been delayed to be updated daily with, "its not making it out today" or "it will be at least a couple of days before its out". I dont want you guys to set any kind of deadline on it, fixing it first is the main priority. Its just the more you let us know, the less we have to ask or wander.

You guys shouldn't fear community backlash over being open, if you know its going to take a lot of work to fix a patch just say so. If your trying to break a certain play style or meta with changes, just say so. Really the community should be glad for the information we get, and I know there's a large number of summoners who are thankful when your open about whats going on.

Those that rage, and post all these hateful threads or the flipping chair's meme threads are not all of us. Many of us come to the forums looking for information about whats going on, and its kind of a let down when things are being left in the dark. I do thank every single one of you rioters that post on the forums and try to help answer questions. Your doing such great things for your company in doing so.

This is a very long post, and a lot of rambling but I'm just trying to point out that your company is changing, and its not all for the better. I might be asking to much, I know you dont owe me any of this. I'm just trying to point out how I fill about it, and I cant be the only one.

I'm not going to point any fingers here and I'm not trying to step on any toe's but I cant help but wonder if Tencent could have any involvement in this. I've seen it happen before, a great company that care's about there game and its players gets bought out. Then over time they are slowly corrupted by the larger company losing what it was about them that was so great. I just hope you guys are standing your ground and doing what RIOT wants, not what the suits tell you.

I'm starting to get worried for you guys, the game is growing and has became so much better yet at the same time it's losing so much. I really just dont want to see you guys go down the slippery slope that I've seen so many others fall down. Blizzard and BioWare where company's I used to love, if a game had there tag, I had to have it. But now I wont touch any game they put out even if I want too. Why? there no longer putting out the quality titles that they used to, now there more worried about making there overlord parent company's happy than making a great game.

Tl:dr The old riot really changed the way I think of game company's. Over time there starting to lose some of there great traits and slide more into the ways of other company's. This is my way of making a plea and I can't help but fill I'm not the only that fills this way.
Let me first say thanks for taking the time to compose this Dewaholic. I sympathize with your concerns about the method and rates with which we deliver lore. I think it added a lot of character for those who wanted to dive deeper into it. We've actually increased the size of our creative team, but players haven't seen the benefits, so it's justified to say were not doing a good job there yet. We're looking to develop different means with which players can interact with the lore other than judgements since they were seen by a small fraction of people. I've seen some of the things under development and I'm excited for when players get to see the work people like RiotRunaan have been putting in.

In response to your main point, I think the reason for the lack of transparency is due to the growth of our company. In the past, I literally knew what everyone was doing on a day-to-day basis. I could speak on the actual progress of various features, live design discussions, or bugs. As we've become more specialized, our visibility has tended to shrink to within our discipline. If there is a live design issue, I forward it to the team that is responsible for it. I can acknowledge a balance issue, but I'm ultimately no longer in a position where I'm directly fixing them and can speak to a time frame for a fix. The less people are directly responsible for work, the more unsure they become to whether or not it's something we can talk about on the forums.

Dewaholic

04-17-2012

Thank you very much for the reply coronach.

Knowing there is more lore coming in the future has just made my night. I'm also very eager to see how your going to be going to go about it, let alone how the community will be able to interact with it.

Yes I figured it was something more along the lines of what you've said that is creating the lack of transparency. I'm also glad that you guys are aware that it is going on.

Perhaps it could be worth the investment to hire some people to help coordinate public information. More like some one who can ask around with all the different departments to find answers to common questions and then relay the information the player base?

Our perhaps some longer patch previews that go a little more in-depth into the what you guys are trying to address with the changes and the thought process behind it.

I really just fill like more clarity in the buff / nerf process would really help the player base understand the changes. Understanding what you all are doing to our most loved game is really something that would give many of us peace of mind.

I know that I for one am always very pleased to read threw a rioters post about the changes that are going on and there reasoning behind it. It always makes me fill better about the choices that have been made.

Only Fiddle Mid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronach View Post
Let me first say thanks for taking the time to compose this Dewaholic. I sympathize with your concerns about the method and rates with which we deliver lore. I think it added a lot of character for those who wanted to dive deeper into it. We've actually increased the size of our creative team, but players haven't seen the benefits, so it's justified to say were not doing a good job there yet. We're looking to develop different means with which players can interact with the lore other than judgements since they were seen by a small fraction of people. I've seen some of the things under development and I'm excited for when players get to see the work people like RiotRunaan have been putting in.

In response to your main point, I think the reason for the lack of transparency is due to the growth of our company. In the past, I literally knew what everyone was doing on a day-to-day basis. I could speak on the actual progress of various features, live design discussions, or bugs. As we've become more specialized, our visibility has tended to shrink to within our discipline. If there is a live design issue, I forward it to the team that is responsible for it. I can acknowledge a balance issue, but I'm ultimately no longer in a position where I'm directly fixing them and can speak to a time frame for a fix. The less people are directly responsible for work, the more unsure they become to whether or not it's something we can talk about on the forums.

Riot needs to hire someone in charge of gathering relevant information and distributing it to the public, such as you have said it is hard to know what is going on day to day between different fields. If someone's sole job was to address the overall flow of the game to the community without being super vague as we have seen lately then there would be a more positive outlook on things.

Also, I miss the old patch previews. Even if they were silly and felt scripted, the things the various members of the Riot team had to say about each patch on the reasons for nerfs were very insightful and part of the reason I loved this game more then than I do now.

For example: the tanky dps meta. The patch previews were both entertaining and informative in how Riot intended to deal with the meta that was seen as abusive and disruptive to the game.

Now we have no idea where Riot stands in regards to the current meta. How does Riot intend to change the mindless farming bot? Why were dorans nerfed 20 hp if that only leads to even less agressive laning? What does Riot think about the increasing trend of high sustained bruisers at top dominating hard (Lee, Olaf, Cho, Warwick, Yorick, Vlad) compared to other champions? How does Riot intend to address the very broken amount of mobility and escapes/forgiveness Lee has during laning phase?

These things are important to us, and a 4 minute video that quickly states a few changes in the upcoming patch is not anywhere close to the old patch previews.

1234511 ... 39