Locked Camera Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Enterti

Senior Member

04-16-2012

Would it be possible to add an option to just flip the hud? Like spells/portrait/map on top? Pretty much like putting a mirror horizontally through the middle of the screen?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kralael

Senior Member

04-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Specifically we look for LockCamera=1 in your game.cfg in the config/ directory of your install. I had QA check that this gets set correctly when we were pulling the stats for locked camera, but if you can find cases where this is broken please give us a set of steps to reproduce it.

If for some reason you always switch off locked camera by pressing 'y' before exiting, we would not know you were using locked camera during the game. However that also suggests that you are successfully using an unlocked camera...
I would like to throw an info out there: 100% of my IRL friends that play (No kidding) keep the Space Key pressed all game long and let it go a few time just to do skillshots that are outta screens.

According to what you say, thoses data aren't taken into account, so you don't have real life data regarding locked camera. I, for one, also do this, because I want to enjoy locked camera, but find it seriously lackluster when I need to land a skillshot which is out of my camera range.

So you'd effectively need to implement something that could help you take into account when the locked camera is used, because according to what you've said, if I use the space key to lock my camera, you can't see it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MagicDucks

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-16-2012

I like to have a hybrid of the 2 of them, have the camera lock on the champion, but if you move your mouse to one side of the screen it will move the camera temporarily and a limit as to how far the camera can go (maybe 1/2 - 1 screens in all directions). and once no more camera movement is made by the mouse during X amount of seconds then it will snap back to locked camera until you move your mouse again to one side of the screen again. Also have a button to immediately snap the camera back to the champion if maybe by mistake move the camera. idk....


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YoshioPeePee

Senior Member

04-16-2012

i keep my camera locked by default, only unlocking it in order to get vision on something happening on the other end of the map (such as a teamfight that I can influence with a global ult)

my problem is that I am unable to handle having unlocked camera and moving my champion manually at the same time, it is too much multitasking for me and having to think about the camera throws off my concentration

yeah i know you can temp lock it on your champion with the spacebar but that is 1 more thing i need to constantly remember to do


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kalafai

Senior Member

04-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
That's what I see when I do it on my machine. If you can reproduce this not happening I would very much like to know! That's a bug and would affect our stat collection.

Specifically we look for LockCamera=1 in your game.cfg in the config/ directory of your install. I had QA check that this gets set correctly when we were pulling the stats for locked camera, but if you can find cases where this is broken please give us a set of steps to reproduce it.

If for some reason you always switch off locked camera by pressing 'y' before exiting, we would not know you were using locked camera during the game. However that also suggests that you are successfully using an unlocked camera...
Got it.

Checked config.cfg, it started at LockCamera=0

Did a custom game, locked camera and immediatly quit.

Checked config.cfg, was now at LockCamera=1

Wondered why it normally wouldn't be that.

Started a new custom game, played all the way through to nexus death, locked camera all the way through.

Confirmed config.cfg, LockCamera=0

Thoughts:
The camera refocusing on an exploding nexus disables camera lock.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Trick The Pirate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Junior Member

04-16-2012

No idea if this has been suggested and/or rejected, but would it be possible to implement player control over the positioning of their own HUD? e.g. being able to move the mini-map to the top right corner, skills to the bottom left, etc.
I think this would help the much talked about problem of purple side and seeing the bottom of the screen without flipping the entire map.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yohan Leafheart

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalafai View Post
Got it.

Checked config.cfg, it started at LockCamera=0

Did a custom game, locked camera and immediatly quit.

Checked config.cfg, was now at LockCamera=1

Wondered why it normally wouldn't be that.

Started a new custom game, played all the way through to nexus death, locked camera all the way through.

Confirmed config.cfg, LockCamera=0

Thoughts:
The camera refocusing on an exploding nexus disables camera lock.
I was going to suggest that it might be due to write permission on the directory but looks like that is not it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kalafai

Senior Member

04-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
All I can tell you is that's the direction I've gotten from the game designers. We have gameplay reasons for not allowing you to zoom out farther. To the extent that we will ban you if you try to hack around it with a 3rd party program. Search the general forums or try to catch Morello's attention if you want more details, that's outside my expertise, unfortunately.
Except, It's not true that your maximum view is so strictly controlled. The FoV is strictly based of the vertical screen resolution. If you play a game at a 4:3 resolution, you can see about the same distance as your own champion in all dirrections. If you play at a 16:9 resolution, while vertically you see the same amount, horizontally, you are now effectivly "zoomed" out to see about 25% further to either side(or each sides, been a while since I slept through algebra).

I'll make a topic on this subject itself, I suppose, after grabbing some screencaps and proper mathmatics.

Ranty area ahead, feel free to skip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
I don't understand what you mean by unflip the jungle... it is fundamentally not symmetrical and both teams need to have the same geographic layout on the map so you are... you know... playing on the same map.
The jungle is roughly radially symmetrical., even if the river is not So that for one team, golem camp is bottem lane with dragon, and for the other team, that same camp is top lane. If wanting to stack carry/support bottem, blue team is able to pick up first spawn of golem before laning starts with an AD carry, for an earlly exp bonus, and that not small lane supperiority when they grab their second skill even 20 seconds before the other lane. An AP Carry/support pair in the lane nearer anchinet golems might get a similar advantage taking anchient golem and blue buff instead of the first few seconds of laning (ask your jungler first and confirm their rotation allows this).

Nobody really seems to care, just blah blah ad carry/support bottem, blah blah noob.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

boourns

UI Designer

04-16-2012
9 of 82 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWish View Post
The purple side is definitely a problem and i disagree that its only for a small portion of LoL because i am a top elo of 2.1k and i use locked only because its just what im used to and i find it very unfair on purple side , obviously all sides of argument have to be considered but there is a significant portion that uses locked and there has to be a fix in some manner.
Uhhhhh... if you're 2.1k Elo and use locked camera exclusively... I'm not sure it's seriously affecting your play! You are in the elite level of players. You have roughly a 50% chance to be on purple and you still play at an exceptionally high level.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

boourns

UI Designer

04-16-2012
10 of 82 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalafai View Post
Got it.

Checked config.cfg, it started at LockCamera=0

Did a custom game, locked camera and immediatly quit.

Checked config.cfg, was now at LockCamera=1

Wondered why it normally wouldn't be that.

Started a new custom game, played all the way through to nexus death, locked camera all the way through.

Confirmed config.cfg, LockCamera=0

Thoughts:
The camera refocusing on an exploding nexus disables camera lock.
Awesome! I will try to get someone to track that down. I was pretty surprised by the numbers I saw for locked camera usage but we couldn't find a scenario where the setting wasn't kept. However if it is something with the game end that could explain it.