Queue Dodging Change: First Dodge Should Be Free

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LeetMasterAce

04-14-2012

I have noticed a serious problem with the way the queue dodging penalty system is implemented. I haven't played Ranked yet, but in normal Solo Queue, I can't tell you how many games I've played where players basically enter the character selection screen with the mindset "I'm going to play my favorite champ today!" rather than "Okay, let's see what this team needs." Not only that, but I have been in selection screens where the whole team suggested to someone to play a tank or at LEAST a tanky bruiser, to which the player replied "no thx y dont u," indicating a negative attitude and unwillingness to cooperate.

I'm not asking for much. All I'm asking is that in SOLO QUEUE ONLY (for both Ranked and Normal), the first queue dodge of the day is free, meaning no -10 Elo penalty and no 5 minute dodger penalty for your first dodge each day. Granting only one prevents excessive trolling and has the added salutary effect of potentially decreasing the flame-rage that goes on in games when players are forced to play on teams with horrible composition due to unwillingness to cooperate in the lobby.

PressF1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-14-2012

Q: Why would the team need someone to play a specific role?
A: Because the rest of the team is just playing what they want to play and shortsticking the last guy.

Q: Why does everyone want a tank?
A: Because they all want to play squishy carry type characters, instead of what the team needs.

Your idea is good in theory, but in reality it isn't actually as good as one might think.

LeetMasterAce

04-14-2012

Wrong. Most of the time I wind up playing tank or support, simply because nobody else is EVER willing to do it. So I am a hard counter to your "counter." My idea is good in theory and is also good in reality, because having one free queue dodge is seriously not going to hurt the game in the slightest but has the potential to improve it for reasons I listed.

Persuade me that one free queue dodge a day is somehow going to harm the game, rather than help it or have a neutral effect.

Edit: Also, your argument is narrow, as it focuses only on tanks, which I listed as one anecdotal example. Truth is, this happens with every role. I've had games where nobody wanted the responsibility of AD or AP Carrying, or where multiple people argued over mid lane AP caster, etc.

King Cudder

04-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetMasterAce View Post
Wrong. Most of the time I wind up playing tank or support, simply because nobody else is EVER willing to do it. So I am a hard counter to your "counter." My idea is good in theory and is also good in reality, because having one free queue dodge is seriously not going to hurt the game in the slightest but has the potential to improve it for reasons I listed.

Persuade me that one free queue dodge a day is somehow going to harm the game, rather than help it or have a neutral effect.

Edit: Also, your argument is narrow, as it focuses only on tanks, which I listed as one anecdotal example. Truth is, this happens with every role. I've had games where nobody wanted the responsibility of AD or AP Carrying, or where multiple people argued over mid lane AP caster, etc.
I've seen both arguments and to be honest LeetMasterAce is right in every way. The tank argument was just an example he used based on the teams mindset when going into queue. The one free dodge everyday is actually a good idea because it won't "COMPLETELY" solve the problem but it gives you a chance to "retry" and hopefully it will work out for the best.

This is just a luxury idea wanted to put in but for the one free dodge idea maybe they can put in a "dodge button" for your one free dodge that will take you to the lobby instead of you having to close your client and restarting your client to queue up again.
(Once again this is just a luxury and a nit pick)

AndrewRogue

04-26-2012

I'm not sure exactly what this is going to do. Now you dodge free once and then... immediately have to dodge again because this does nothing to address the problem?

King Cudder

04-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewRogue View Post
I'm not sure exactly what this is going to do. Now you dodge free once and then... immediately have to dodge again because this does nothing to address the problem?
Your right this does not address the problem head on. But this is a safe idea and can "possibly" help. This is just like a band-aid on a cut, its a temporary fix. Maybe that dodge could save you from losing the game...and maybe the next match is going to be worst. This idea is not a fix it's based on chance.

Aikimiller

04-26-2012

the problem is what effect not having a penalty for dodging would do to solo queue times. Your solution would actually make the problem worse, because it allows the people who aren't interested in playing as a team to dodge if they don't get what they want.

Imagine it- you're queueing, get all the way to last pick, and he dodges because he didn't get the role he wanted. Now you do it again, and it happens again, and again, and again, because by adding someone new you're also adding another "free dodge" chance to your queue time.

You could try the 4 votes to kick a player- but then you run into other problems- primarily that the community is forced into a strict meta- something Riot has categoricly said over and over that they want to avoid hard coding a metagame.

Deathfairy

04-26-2012

I play normals to try one of few heroes i i ll be ****ed but i will play of them. I am not going to normals to support some trash ad mmk?

bahamutkaiser

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-26-2012

Evelynn has a purpose...

Bekkal

04-26-2012

All queue dodges should count as leaves for the purposes of Leaverbuster.

People start getting banned, they'll stop dodging