[Guide] Morgana - a Comprehensive Guide to Gameplay and Strategy

123456 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Witch Bernkastel

07-28-2010

The extra health from Doran's would indeed be more viable in a side lane, where it's more volatile, although it sets you back in your rush to RoA by some gold. I don't personally grab Clarity either, as I conserve my mana for the most part, Catalyst indeed helps out with mana, and I need the slot for Clairvoyance.

beezo

07-28-2010

Just wanted to say I really appreciate this guide and petition for it to be stuckied.

Witch Bernkastel

07-29-2010

After doing some testing, I've decided to update my item build list to begin with Doran's Ring as per you guys' suggestions. With Morgana's magnificent farming capabilities, the extra 375 gold delay on Catalyst the Protector at the beginning is somewhat insignificant, and your extra survivability and staying power should be a fairly significant boon, especially for less seasoned players that may require more of a buffer on their health to make room for mistakes.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support!

Doowa

08-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
... also, any morg that's using soil as their standard creep killing method is "doing it wrong".
I would really like this explained, as I can't see why using Soil to kill creeps is "doing it wrong".... where did I miss something?

Asylumseeker

08-03-2010

Not quite true. There is a benefit of using it to wipe out the waves quickly with it. Means the minions get to their tower so you get cash for all the wave. They only get cash for part of it as the turret takes out a few. Also your minions can chip away at the turret.

Does put you in place for ganks though so you have to do it carefully. Either knowing all other enemies are present or wards with an escape mechanism (ghost)

Asylumseeker

08-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
that's a terrible idea. you're already getting gold for the entire wave anyway, so all you're doing is making the distance between you and safety further. the trade off of minions chipping away at the tower is terrible since the damage they're able to do is minimal--it's better to wait until you've killed the other champion for a push, and only when you're done laning (otherwise, you go gank another lane).
You missed the important part of that. Making it so your opponent only gets half the gold per wave. If you can gimp the carry like that while remaining safe it can be very useful. As i also said only do this while you can see all other players or have wards placed to protect. If enemies goes missing from the mini map then step back and just last hit. Also for most characters to get your minions they need to step between there own. TS will destroy the minion wave and hurt the enemy so completely pushing them back and making them underfed.

Raimius

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-03-2010

I read your entire guide and I'd like to thank you. I took Morgana out for a spin during the first few days of playing LoL. Actually she was the first champ I tried in some practice games. She's been on my back burner for a little bit, however I may purchase her soon thanks to your tips here.

Krackor

08-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrard View Post
This is, both substantively and stylistically, the best guide I have read about LoL. Certainly the word on Morgana, particularly for less experienced players.

I, like others, don't agree with everything, but **** near close enough. And none of it is bad advice for inexperienced Morganas. None.

Fantastic job. Thank you for your contribution to the community.
QFT

I would like to add a couple of my own opinions from maining Morgana in ranked play.

1. Summoner Spells - My summoner spells of choice are virtually always Ghost/Clairvoyance. I'm impressed that you have such a high opinion of clairvoyance because I think especially in solo queue games it's incredibly underrated. If no one else on my team has it, I always take it, and with the masteries (15% CDR from 21 pt utility plus 5 second CDR from Mystical Vision) makes it incredibly spammable like you mentioned. Another really nice use of Clairvoyance is for gaining brush vision during teamfights. Too often a low-hp champ gets away by ducking into brush or around a tree wall. Drop a clairvoyance in the middle of a teamfight and any runners can be seen through brush/walls, allowing you or your teammates to target them for the kill.

Ghost is my other staple, and I'll agree with some of the other posters here that you undervalue its use. Use it for chasing a runner for a clutch DB to give your allies time to catch up for a kill; use it with DB to escape/juke in the jungle; use it for quick positioning for DB/ult for a gank; and most importantly, use it for flexibility in positioning while using Soul Shackles in a team fight. Ghost helps you go from long-range-support-caster to melee-range-aoe-disabler in a heartbeat, bypassing any creep/champion pathing issues that might get in your way. Timing is everything with her ult, and the 1-2 second difference gained by using ghost can make or break its use in a teamfight. Ghost also gives you the ability to chase down runners for the echo damage/stun better than flash - flash gets you either into the fray or helps chase down someone for the echo - ghost does both.

I'm not quite convinced on the superior benefit of teleport you claim. Yes, it's nice for traveleing from lane to lane and for quick trips to/from the fountain during early-game, but I've found that Morg can afford extra long stints away from the fountain with decent mana regen (more on that in a second) coupled with her spell vamp. Teleport to a ward in the jungle for a gank is cute, but it's also highly situational and can easily backfire. Hopefully the ward will give you enough information to set up a gank without having to use teleport. (Ghost is useful for getting into position for such a gank too...) If you could elaborate on your reasons for teleport I'd appreciate it.

2. Runes - First, I don't think there's such a thing as scaling magic penetration. You might want to edit that out. Second, mp5/level ~equals flat mp5 at level 4. Considering the fact that it only takes about 5 minutes of laning to hit level 4, you only gain a total of approximately 100 mana (an average of 0.2 mp5 difference per rune, times 9 runes, times 5 minutes) by choosing flat instead of scaling regen, which at best will give you enough for 1-2 more spells. Past level 4, there's clearly no contest, as scaling regen can act as a free chalice once it charges up during mid-/late-game. In the end it's a tradeoff of being able to farm/harass 1-2 spells better early game compared to saving about 1k gold on mana regen itemization late game. I personally will always favor the latter.

3. Item Build - I like your choices for the most part, but there's one thing I'd change. When taking solo mid, I like to rush an early Tear of the Goddess into AA Staff instead of taking an RoA. This does a couple useful things: AA Staff gives you insane regen, and coupled with the larger mana pool and scaling mana regen runes let's you roam completely non-stop mid- and late-game without having to blue pill for any reason other than to buy. Less time going back to base means more opportunities to farm, push, and support ganks/teamfights. Catalyst helps somewhat with sustainability, but it can't compete with Tear/AA while roaming for ganks since levels come much slower than when farming. Secondly, AA gives you about 80 AP right when you build it, and increases by 1.8 AP per level due to mana pool increases, in addition to the increase from AA's/Tear's Unique Passive. That's already 30 AP better than RoA at slightly less cost, and it scales about as quickly as RoA does. I find that when taking solomid, I could make use of the higher AP much more than I could use the ~400ish health from RoA. When ganking during mid-game I should have a level advantage over my targets, and usually I'll go in with full hp against a low-hp target, so the hp from RoA is unnecessary.

Not rushing RoA usually means that by the time you do make an RoA it's late enough that the bonuses won't have time to charge. When I rush AA that means I'll skip RoA completely, and if my solomid doesn't snowball as well as I'd like, I can always build Rylai's + Haunting Guise for my hp needs. I will admit it's nice having a stable platform to start your build with (catalyst), but I think it's more powerful to snowball with an early AA when aiming for an AP/nuking build when you have the advantage of a solo lane. Of course RoA/Banshee's is still a good choice when taking a duo lane or when planning on building tanky.

That reminds me - you didn't mention Haunting Guise anywhere in your build suggestion, but I think in any game that doesn't involve boots + 5 top-tier items it's a very worthwhile investment. Magic Pen can be tough to stack, but with MPen runes and a Haunting Guise you can just about decrease an enemy's MR to 0 unless they're stacking MR items, without having to sacrifice the use of Merc Treads for Sorc Shoes.

zebano

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-03-2010

Lots of good info/info here. I mainly play AP morg because I queue dodge teams without tanks and being able to land a 5 man 4 -second stun is useful but not worth giving up the damage you could be doing (and the stronger shield).

1. Yellow runes I run 2x flat MP5 but thats just because the 7MP5/lvl has been enough that I don't need to buy two more. Between these and the Doran's ring + 3/3 Meditation you have enough mana for the entire game.

2. Summoner spells. I commend your choice of clarvoyance & teleport both are invaluable. Teleport is the must have for me. If I take ignite running 10/0/20 (never give up the 15%magic pen ) is worth it.I've also run exhaust, ghost and flash but none really seem necessary unless you plan on pushing (see 3).

3. Last hitting with Morg is really easy. She does like 5x damage to start so just be prepared for the slow attack animation. The main advantages are that you're not overextended (less of an issue with clarvoyance but you really should have a ward before all out pushing).saving your spells for the opponents lets you either force them to b or miss last hits (your auto attack is ranged so you can try to line up q and still last hit).This also makes your mana less of a problem which leads directly to 4.Note however that Morg is most vulnerable directly after missing her 'q'.

4. When rushing RoA buy the blasting wand first. The increased dmg can really take your opponents by surprise.

5. Morg is a very good candidate for a 1v2 lane. Her 'w' will keep her gettign the farm (not the tower, this is one time you don't want to worry aboutlast hitting, just don't push) and snaring someone who tries to hit the tower/dive you can net you an easy kill.She is not a high-priority mid, give that to a better carry.

6.My Ap morg items;
1. Doran's ring
2. Blasting wand
3. Boots 1
4. Blasting Wand > RoA (health, mana,AP, yes please)
5. Sorc Shoes
6.DFG (active is awesome, gives AP and 15% CD + blue runes + 9/0/21 >30% CDR)
(end core)

Options (in the order I consider them):
Abyssal Scepter - (most underrated item ever) gives more Magic Pen, AP and Magic Resist
Banshees Veil (if they have substantial CC this allows you to save your shield for someone else and helps get the ult off)
Zhonas - massive AP and te active is great when you ult.

7. Masteries: Tier 1 utility that gives regen is useless (they just don't do any noticiable amount).Grab good hands instead.

Witch Bernkastel

08-04-2010

An important thing to factor into this guide is that I place very little emphasis on killing enemy champions outside of teamfights or ganks. I place greater emphasis on keeping your survivability up while simply harassing your opponent in 1v1 situations. Making kills is nice and all, but gunning for them has a tendency to make people greedy, which can end up in death very easily at just the slightest mistake. Regardless of how good she may actually be at it, Morgana is not in her nature a killer champion - she's a supporter.

As I said, and others have pointed out, this guide isn't designed to be 'optimal' for aggressive players - it's a much safer, defensive mentality. Not to say that, following this guide, you can't output plenty of damage very quickly, but generally speaking, it shouldn't be the first thing on your mind unless you have someone nearby to assist you with it. I won't generally try to actively kill the opponent in the early game unless either they initiate the first blow, or I have a teammate nearby to gank them if/when they get careless.

Seeing as how this guide has apparently been placed under the main Morgana list (yay, thank you everybody!) and I've seen lots of good alternative suggestions from you all, I'll be testing all of your suggestions individually and in combination, to further my research on Morgana.

If I were to write a subsection on playing a more dangerous, aggressive Morgana, should I try to fit it into the main guide, or make a separate post and make a link to it in the main guide in my next update?

123456 ... 10