WCG Eligibility and Game Rules

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MattMarcou

eSports Manager

Follow RiotMarcou on Twitter

08-04-2010
9 of 12 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwy View Post
Looks good and all. But what are the prizes?
We will have more information on that shortly. Obviously there will be trips involved

MattMarcou

eSports Manager

08-04-2010
10 of 12 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepKilla View Post
For an esport manager, you should learn to read dude.... Its clearly wrote SWEEPSTAKES...this tournament is a sweepstake for you?? Not at all, its a competition based on skill not a sweepstakes based on random pure luck. There is a BIG difference between the two. And plz tell me how Quebec shouldn't be eligible for this WCG tournament since we are hosting the Canadian qualifiers for WCG in Montreal this September? This is totally non-sense to me...

There is actually NO VALID REASON for Quebec not being eligible for this tournament. I know someone who is working in esport for a long time (even working with the WCG atm i think for the WCG canadian qualifiers) and could explain all this to you guys.

edit : A clear answer would be gladly appreciate, and even maybe contact me for more information about it. Thanks!
This type of contest is considered a sweepstakes in Quebec according to the legal professionals that I have spoken with. I am operating under the advice of my legal team while at the same time investigating ways to open this up in the future.

Various regions of the world are filed with laws that are meant to protect against gambling and fraudulent contests. Unfortunately those laws haven't necessarily caught up with the times.

If someone can direct me to a lawyer in Quebec with this type of expertise, then I'd be more than happy to speak with them. I need to hold to the current standard for the time being.

tournaments (AT) leagueoflegends

MattMarcou

eSports Manager

08-04-2010
11 of 12 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subneo23 View Post
Yet... LoL cant get to quebec but other games can...

http://wcg2010.lanets.ca/tournaments.php?lang=en
We are aware of LANETS and other events that have been held in Quebec . I have personally sent players there myself when I managed teams in the past.

There is due diligence that must be done for us to open our contests into regions that have laws such as those in Quebec. We are currently conducting research on the topic.

MattMarcou

eSports Manager

08-04-2010
12 of 12 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cefx the Mighty View Post
I hear ladder grind makes for a good competitions eligibility. Everyone does it, so it must be right, right?
There's ambiguity in your comment. Please clarify in a constructive manner.

Hanma

08-04-2010

My team has come up with a good question for the WCG that we felt was not well addressed and would improve the quality of the tournament if taken into consideration. With the WCG I am going to make the assumption that their will be bans and picks in the same format as ranked play? (This was not addressed) But more importantly will the teams be restricted by pick order as they are in ranked 5v5 queue or can each team elect to pick 5 champions in normal picking order and then assign said champions to specific players on the team?

Rpture DarkZen

08-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotMarcou View Post
Quebec is unfortunately not eligible.
This must be a joke, I mean, why would Quebec would be not eligible ? Because they don't speak English ? On what is this statement based ? I just a tad disapointed from what seems to me an injustice.

Hanma

08-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerroZen View Post
This must be a joke, I mean, why would Quebec would be not eligible ? Because they don't speak English ? On what is this statement based ? I just a tad disapointed from what seems to me an injustice.
Read previous posts before asking stupid questions, google is also an awesome place to find things out on your own.

Safir

08-04-2010

Do the alternates need to be in the top 1500? It seems like anybody that could qualify would not want to be just an alternate. :/

Fei Korlock

08-06-2010

*Sigh* Human logic dictates that we read the first thing in the thread and then ragepost about it. >.<

Gilggamesh

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostate Cancer View Post
I live in quebec and seriously, **** you all.
Why people from Quebec cannot participate?
Its really stupid