Pregame menu feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Warskull

Adjudicator

07-13-2009

1) The method of graying out heroes as they are selected does not communicate well that the hero is no longer available and the reason that hero is no longer available. A better method of indicating picked heroes should be used, the current method is a little too subtle.

I was thinking along the lines of rubber stamps:
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_1...1431x71e33.jpg

If a big red "Summoned" popped across heroes as they were selected it would pretty rapidly become apparent that someone else picked that hero. The first time a newbie would have to read the text on the stamp, but every time after that the color and shape will be instantly recognizable.

For the hero the player selects themselves a blue circular "Your Champion" stamp can appear across it.

You then have later room to add stamps for other statuses, for example "banned" in a format that allows hero bans.

2) You cannot change summoner skills/hero without undoing page selection. It would be nice if at the final screen you could still tweak summoner skills as they are the most likely to be discussed and changed. The previous summoner screens let you very rapidly change hero and summoner skills as your team discussed what they were taking.

The ability to redo only one specific part of the selection process could help this.

Lima Beans

Core Engineer

07-13-2009
1 of 2 Riot Posts

I like your stamp idea. interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warskull View Post
2) You cannot change summoner skills/hero without undoing page selection. It would be nice if at the final screen you could still tweak summoner skills as they are the most likely to be discussed and changed. The previous summoner screens let you very rapidly change hero and summoner skills as your team discussed what they were taking.

The ability to redo only one specific part of the selection process could help this.
This is how it works currently. You can just go tweak any specific part. Going back doesnt undo anything. You can always just click the 'done' tab.

Warskull

Adjudicator

07-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima Beans View Post
I like your stamp idea. interesting.

This is how it works currently. You can just go tweak any specific part. Going back doesnt undo anything. You can always just click the 'done' tab.
It might need a little tweaking then, I remember it feeling like a pain in the butt to go back and quickly swap something. Plus, it wasn't intuitive that I could just skip back to the end without redoing everything.

It felt like things just weren't quite at my fingertips, part of this could be the bogged down feel of the new front end this weekend, however.

Plus with the rubber stamp concept it frees up the frames to start color coding heroes (I'll post more on this later, just figuring it all out.)

micha

Adjudicator

07-13-2009

Stamp suggestion sounds very nice, i also noticed that its hard to see what champion is already picked and wich not i mean sure after looking 1-2 seconds on to the screen theres no problem but while scrolling thought the champs there isn't any way to see VERY fast if the champion is still available or not.

One thing i want to add there is, the little windows at the champion in the left bottom corner has owned me alot this weekend i was so ofting clicking there, so the char info windows has been opened, instead i wanted to select the champion -.-

Lima Beans

Core Engineer

07-13-2009
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warskull View Post
It felt like things just weren't quite at my fingertips, part of this could be the bogged down feel of the new front end this weekend, however.
Hmm good points. Will improve the performance but it sounds like that wont be enough on this one. Will brainstorm some ways to make this easier, let me know if you have any more feedback on it (or anyone else).

Diadem

07-14-2009

I like the "stamped" idea too