Support Assists

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jerakor

10-23-2009

I know this issue has been brought up before, but my own recent experiences with Janna have reinforced how pressing a concern this really is.

As an example, I recently played a match with Janna. We won. Handily. Our team had more than thirty kills, and I participated in easily 1/3 of those kills. I put early points into her shield skill, allowing our Master Yi to survive and win early fights where he otherwise would have died or retreated. I used my ultimate to keep our team alive and fighting in several key battles. I felt like I had played well.

And by the end of the match I was credited with 1 kill and 2 assists--and both assists came from auto attacks that contributed very little to the fight relative to my heals and shields. As a result I was about two levels behind the rest of my teammates and I had accumulated significantly less gold. The combination caused me to be more fragile and forced me to run out of mana much faster than I would have liked. And the end-game was significantly less fun than it should have been.

The issue isn't recognition. I couldn't care less what the scoreboard says. But assists yield gold and experience, both of which are extremely valuable. They also trigger some item effects that can be useful.

By not giving assists for playing a supporting role, the current design slows the development of Janna, Zilean, etc. both nerfing those champions and making them less fun and less rewarding.

Dagna

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-23-2009

I agree, while the system may not of been designed with keeping track of healing while champs are fighting, it should be implemented. Though I doubt this will happen because this might require an overhaul of how the game tracks assists. If a champ heals me for over 1/2 my health and I end the fight below 1/2 health the champ should get 50% of the bounty.

ABOZ

10-24-2009

You have an AOE damage spell playing as either Zilean or Janna. Use it.

Jerakor

10-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABOZ View Post
You have an AOE damage spell playing as either Zilean or Janna. Use it.
Unfortunately, fights often start when I'm not at full mana, and Janna's AoE is an expensive spell to cast.

Which is exactly the problem. If I come into a large fight with only a few hundred mana, the team benefits if I use that mana casting shields and heals, but doing so gives me no personal benefit. I benefit if I cast my AoE, but at the expensive of the team. That's a problem.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

10-24-2009
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerakor View Post
I know this issue has been brought up before, but my own recent experiences with Janna have reinforced how pressing a concern this really is.

As an example, I recently played a match with Janna. We won. Handily. Our team had more than thirty kills, and I participated in easily 1/3 of those kills. I put early points into her shield skill, allowing our Master Yi to survive and win early fights where he otherwise would have died or retreated. I used my ultimate to keep our team alive and fighting in several key battles. I felt like I had played well.

And by the end of the match I was credited with 1 kill and 2 assists--and both assists came from auto attacks that contributed very little to the fight relative to my heals and shields. As a result I was about two levels behind the rest of my teammates and I had accumulated significantly less gold. The combination caused me to be more fragile and forced me to run out of mana much faster than I would have liked. And the end-game was significantly less fun than it should have been.

The issue isn't recognition. I couldn't care less what the scoreboard says. But assists yield gold and experience, both of which are extremely valuable. They also trigger some item effects that can be useful.

By not giving assists for playing a supporting role, the current design slows the development of Janna, Zilean, etc. both nerfing those champions and making them less fun and less rewarding.
I'd like to do this at some point, but there are a lot of edge cases, so we've simplified it for now to "you dealt some damage" = assist. Knowing this, you can usually get assists as a support character if you make sure you get in one autoattack or whatever. Plus, all of our support characters have offensive abilities available.

Bianary

10-24-2009

Quote:
I wasn't aware that xp earned was based on assisting. If it is, it should be changed to function the same way all the other xp gains on kills do (You split it for being in the area/dealing the killing blow)

More likely you were just spending more time running around supporting allies and thus weren't in range of creeps dying as much as them. I've seen many support champions end up underleveled because of that.

ABOZ

10-25-2009

Quote:
Unfortunately, fights often start when I'm not at full mana, and Janna's AoE is an expensive spell to cast.

Which is exactly the problem. If I come into a large fight with only a few hundred mana, the team benefits if I use that mana casting shields and heals, but doing so gives me no personal benefit. I benefit if I cast my AoE, but at the expensive of the team. That's a problem.
Are you really running around with little to no mana? There's your problem right there, you're gimping several of your abilities if you don't try to conserve your mana for when it's really needed, especially when expecting team fights. If you're finding this to be a frequent problem for you, get mana regeneration items or items that increase the size of your mana pool.

RyuuKitten

10-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
I'd like to do this at some point, but there are a lot of edge cases, so we've simplified it for now to "you dealt some damage" = assist. Knowing this, you can usually get assists as a support character if you make sure you get in one autoattack or whatever. Plus, all of our support characters have offensive abilities available.
I assume you mean if you change it to "If someone just walks up and does nothing" they'll get XP/Gold out of it. Which isn't really a problem, as someone can walk up autoattack once for 60 damage and get that.

I admit my assists on Janna specifically are a lot less then on say, Soraka. A big part of this I think is her ult is channeled. Grant it, while I'm channeling a ton of HPS into my team it helps. And it has turned near-wipes into us wiping THEM. But it doesn't give credits. Well maybe if you hit with the knockback, but I only use that to try to knock people into towers midgame, lategame I try to not knock people back since unless the other team is stupid, I just gave them a full retreat as we just took the advantage and they (should) be running now.