Heroes to counter Vladimir in Mid Lane

12345612 ... 16
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xpsychedelico

08-01-2010

Sivir is pretty decent against Vlad. Transfusion at lower levels allows me to bait him and SS almost every single one I want him to use on me. BB does a ton of damage as it would to any other mid champion (BB if he moves towards you for a Transfusion while you SS it, profit!). Hang back if SS isn't up, use ricochet to harass while everything else is on CD (which forces him to try and use Transfusion on me to feed my SS mana--see a cycle?). Can get a kill if he decides to tower dive for no other reason other than aggressive stupidity.

You have to hang back and take advantage of the range difference. Transfusion has a small range, much like the difference between Zilean's auto attack and bombs, so you can tell when he's lunging towards you for a Transfusion. Don't try to out harass him or kill him mid, just be his equal, then kill him when he gets complacent or too aggressive.

larkhill

08-01-2010

my post from another thread on the exact same topic... with a few champs added now that its not 1 in the morning when im writing this...

first off, everyone should have ignite. ignite is an amazing ability.

now there are a few different ways to counter vlad. first off is easy. out-range him. the range on his abilities is fairly small. i dont get the arguments here. transfuse is basically his longest ranged ability. if you can get a champ with a longer range than that, you're golden.

examples:
• morgana- she's basically the anti-mid. her range is longer than mostly everyone's and she has a spell shield.
• teemo/ezreal- this one's a little trickier but ive seen it done. more on why this works later.
• kogmaw- whatever than thing that comes from the sky is called, it's terrifying... learn to use it and you'll be set
• zilean- the strategy here is a little different than usual. he can and will pool to avoid dmg if you bomb him, but he cant do anything if you bomb a minion near him and force him back to his turret. and if he gets greedy, your ult > his ult
• karthus- works very similarly to kogmaw. out-range him and eat his face. he needs to get fairly close to kill you. he wont kill you with transfuse alone. when he gets close to tides and pool, simply activate your mana drain, slow him, and spam q. if he kills you, you can still usually get a counter-kill with a postmortem mana drain or q spam.
• sivir- for reasons above.
• fiddle- silence. drain. fear. need i say more? o wait... i do. he has a few range issues and your drain costs mana. his doesnt. plan accordingly.

what you have to make sure you do is harass smart. he can and will transfuse creeps to bring his life from very little to full in a hurry. most vlads also start with a health pot so keep track of it.

his transfuse will restore his health but only in a small but consistent fashion. the way to harass him isnt to do the came thing as he does. you wont win that battle. ever.

what you have to do it harass in short bursts. i'll use ezreal as an example since teemo was already discussed earlier.

instead of using mystic shot over and over again like usual, use your full combo but do it a bit less often. he cant transfuse all that hp back and he'll eventually have to play more defensive, or risk you killing him with a well timed combo. after a few combo's, he'll realize he cant stay in mid with a sliver of health and tower hug to transfuse back all his hp like usual.

what everyone seems to forget is how bad vlad's attack dmg is. noone builds vlad for any sort of attack dmg at all. vlad cant push a turret at all. if he gets a kill or 2, it doesnt necessarily mean he'll take out the turret before you get back. if sivir gets that same 1 or 2 kills, that turret is as good as gone without some help or a lucky minion wave. done be afraid to recall and come back. you're not helping your own cause by standing at your turret leaching xp and last hits while the tower kills everything. he will slowly but surely pick off the tower this way. recall, get your mana and items and come back and continue to be aggressive. it'll help you in the long run a lot more than missing a few minion kills while u were gone.

Toxic72

08-01-2010

Morde.

Kenshar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-01-2010

Mord. Drain hits shield.. U hit him... he hugs tower till 6... Ult ignite... U HAVE SLAIN AN ENEMY!

Leirkov

08-01-2010

Anyone, really. You just have to play smart and fairly defensive until your skills are strong enough. After that, just bait a Sanguine Pool then do a short burst combo.

For example, I faced a Vlad as Zilean and he kept using Sanguine Pool when I time bombed him, so I ran up to him to bait a pool, then I double bombed him and nuked his health. Eventually I scored first blood.

Rubido

08-01-2010

Heimer gives me a lot of trouble. I also played a really aggresive Morgana today that killed me once. Fiddle is also a nuisance, as well as Pirate.

Besides that a defensive Vlad is hard to counter, especially at 6. And I tend to play defense so lols.

larkhill

08-01-2010

stealth classes like twitch dont necessarily stop vlad but they really annoy him early on. buying oracles and wards delays my build by quite a bit. sometimes long enough for my team to lose. sure if i can stall the game long enough to get all my items i can take out and stealth class but sometimes its game over.

MK 47

08-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako Samson View Post
Heimer is an obvious choice, you'll practically have vlad tower hugging the whole time while your turrets slowly melt down the turret.
to be honest,heimer is a pain in the *** for every champion you can imagine.

Juany CyRaM

08-01-2010

Morgana. Your spell vamp gives you power to stay and farm creep keeping him tower hugging. I never lose with Morg mid, just tied with Heimer. :P

biomorph

08-01-2010

By counter I suppose people mean, keeping him from pushing your tower or harassing your ass off.
I say don't try to counter him by finding a way to dispose him one on one. A well played Vladimir will punish you of you go after him. The think to keep in mind is that his transfusion has NO drawbacks, no mana cost, no health cost no nothing. It is like a katarina - perhaps even better with the heal. At level 9 with only cool down runes and masteries Vlad spams Transfusion like mad (I've out leeched a Teemo one on one like this).
Give Vlad two kills in mid and he will be a pain to deal with for the remainder of the game. I have done it and seen many do it as well. There is nothing better as Vlad to see people go aggressive against you.
Kill your creeps, stay out of transfusion harass range and let others help you gank him.

The toughest opponent I faced in mid was a Mordekaiser starting with a regrowth pendant. Killing creeps like kaiser does best and my transfusion rarely got past the shield.

If you face Vlad ... play safe.

12345612 ... 16