I think I ward too much.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ryswick

03-18-2012

I play support for only one reason, and that is warding.

Depending on the length of the game, I'll buy anywhere from 30 to 50 wards in addition to Oracles.

I'll try to get an Oracles before 20 minutes, and from mid-late game, I'll always buy 5 wards everytime I return to base.

This being said, most games I'm never able to buy any end-game item except for Shurelya's Reverie because I can't afford anything else. If we're doing exceptionally well, or if the game just ends up being long, I can sometimes afford an Aegis.

1500g+ goes to GP5 items

400g-800g-1200g+ goes to Oracles (depends how much I die.)

1050g goes to Boots of Lucidity.

1400g goes to Shureyla's (If I can afford it)

All that sums to about 5150 (if I buy 3 oracles, because my average deaths is 2), and the rest I spend on wards.

Average gold earned: 8000

8000 - 5150 = 2850 / 75 = 38 wards

If I wanted 5 wards on the map constantly, I could keep the map warded for 30.4 minutes with 38 wards.

In addition to all the wards I get, I always run Flash/Clairvoyance

Also, if it matters, I run the GP5 mastery, and GP5 seals/quints.

So, what I want to know is, am I warding too much? Is it excessive? Unecessary?

Am I inhibitng myself and my team by buying TOO MANY wards as opposed to focusing on getting aura items?

Here's a map of how I ward, and this is how to read it:

The yellow spots must ALWAYS be warded.

Red are spots I ward as an alternative or in addition to yellow wards. Depends on the current objective or how many wards I have on me at the time.

Blue are usually only what I ward when on the blue team unless we're losing and need to keep an eye on our own jungle.

Purple are usually only what i ward when on the purple team unless we're losing and need to keep an eye on our own jungle.

Pink are the Baron/Drag wards, I don't want you to sneeze without me seeing it. If you're thinking of heading toward Drag/Baron, I want to watch you think, then I want to watch you type it to your team, and then I want to watch you walk over here.

Hunstoppable

03-18-2012

I stopped warding the entire map because it just gave my team the confidence to dive the enemy team under their tower. Being the "great support" is a double edged sword, imo.

I win more games from being a "bad support" because my team is careful. =3

The best way to ward is have the non-item slot taxed folks buy a ward on occasion throughout the game. If against a fast counterjungler, they deserve to lose if the team doesn't ward for the jungler too. If the AD is winning the lane hard in CS he should buy too. There are some exceptions, like a mid game Urgot / Viktor is going to have their items slots stuffed.

I like the support items more than buying a bunch of wards that might be a waste. I generally try to peel a gank off and survive, it's the AP roaming that will be the real trouble.

I don't always play support, but when I do I try to smash the enemy lane's face in.

Dispenser

03-18-2012

I never ward enough because I always go for my items first (Aegis, boots, Randuin's...)

Even if my team does extremely well I can only get my Aegis at around 22 to 27 minutes D:

A shadowy figure

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-18-2012

Sometimes I put 5 wards at baron and watch the enemy support stand there autoattacking wards for 20 seconds.

rgrwilco

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-18-2012

Quality warding is much better then excessive warding, If you or your jungler are keeping buff timers, you can ward efficiently and more cost effectively rather then just warding for the sake of warding <3

rgrwilco

Ailent

03-18-2012

If you're playing with people who do buy their own wards from time to time then it might be a tad excessive. If no one but you wards, it still might be too much, but since no one else is and you're already doing so then it probably doesn't hurt anything but your already strained gold income. Of course when everyone has their items and can't ward then it is extremely helpful to do so.

Edit: The argument the poster before me made of quality warding vs quantity warding also holds true, just randomly warding everything might not be the most optimal decision, knowing buff timers and the like allow you to ward extremely well, however most of the time people don't pay attention to it unless it's higher level play or you have people that really like to keep track of all that (it never hurts and only helps) if you don't keep track of it all then yeah. Ward ward ward I guess.

DoctorMcPain

03-18-2012

Most of the time you only need to ward 1 side of the jungle, considering that if the jungler has cleared those camps he's probably on the other side.

Niqhtmare x

03-18-2012

part of being a good support is knowing how much to ward, so you dont overspend

also, sometimes bad teams cannot take advantage of good ward coverage, and its really annoying

NekoAzusa

03-18-2012

Serious? You play support ONLY to ward? Play Teemo

Sipsi

03-18-2012

No such thing as too much wards