Champion Concept 1: Henry, the Shattered Mind

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Draginath

03-17-2012

Hey everyone, this was my first champ concept I posted a while back and after some good critiques decided to do some revamps on him. He's changed pretty substantially, but those interested in the first draft of the this champ click the link below:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...7#post13860007

**UPDATED 9/4/12**: I decided to piggyback off an idea pitched to me and decided to do some pretty extensive revamps to Henry's concept. I still like his current one so I posted them in post #2 of this thread so you guys can review each iteration of Henry side by side.

1. Henry, the Shattered Mind

Description:

Henry is a mage fighter hybrid that focuses on a controlling two distinct characters; Jekyll, an ability power caster, and Hyde, an attack damage fighter. Each personality has its own strengths and weaknesses and mastery will come from utilizing both to not only adapt but enhance performance of the other half.

Role: Mage, Fighter, Support, Disabler

Look:

Jekyll is a young man with dark, well-groomed, shoulder-length hair. He wears a clean-cut, form-fitting trench coat with a matching hat. He wields two revolvers as well as a utility belt fully stacked with ammo and other gadgets.

Hyde looks like Jekyll but noticeably bulkier. He loses his hat, revealing disheveled hair. He has small fangs in his mouth and his icy blue eyes turn yellow. His skin has a grayish hue to it. He holsters the revolvers and fights hand to hand.

NOTE: Hyde is not muscular in terms of actual muscle mass but rather he carries a more “bestial” manner than the clean cut Jekyll.

Resource: Energy

Quote:
Stats:

Difficulty: Hard
Health: 1850
Mana: 0
Speed: 315
Armor: 74
Magic Resist: 44
Range: 600 (Jekyll), 125 (Hyde)
Abilities:

Quote:
Duplicity (Passive): Every 7 ability uses, Henry enrages for 6 seconds, gaining effects based on his current personality:

Jekyll: Increases movement speed, attack speed and energy regeneration by 75%.

Hyde: Henry becomes charged with energy, increasing his range by 300 and causing his basic attacks to deal 2% of the target’s maximum health as magic damage.

Henry cannot gain a charge of Duplicity more than once every 2 seconds. Duplicity resets upon death.
Quote:
Duplicity (Draft Two): Every 10 ability uses, Henry enrages for 6 seconds, gaining effects based on his current personality:

Jekyll: Increases movement speed, attack speed and energy regeneration by 40%.

Hyde: Henry becomes charged with energy, increasing his range by 300 and causing his basic attacks to deal 2% of the target’s maximum health as magic damage.

Henry cannot gain a charge of Duplicity more than once every 2 seconds. Duplicity resets upon death.
UPDATE: The major problem with the passive was that it made each personality too self-sufficient. There was just no reason to swap forms because the passive was just a little too powerful. The amount of stacks needed for the duration just didn't feel right so I increased the amount of stacks. I also nerfed Jekyll's passive because it was over-the-top.

Quote:
Envenom/ Virility (Q): Effect changes based on your Henry’s personality.

Envenom (Jekyll): Fires a burst of noxious rounds in a cone in front of Jekyll, dealing 40/55/70/85/100 (+50% Ability Power) magic damage on impact and 10/25/40/55/70 (+35 ability Power) per second for 4 seconds. Affected targets have their movement speed slowed by 35% for the duration. Jekyll’s basic attacks reduce the cooldown of Envenom by 0.5 seconds. [7 second cooldown, 750 range, Cost: 40 Energy]

Virility (Hyde): Hyde leaps to the target. If the target is an enemy, Hyde swipes dealing 30/60/90/120/150 (+1.1 per bonus attack damage) to that target and up to two additional targets. [9 sec cooldown, 700 range, Cost: 75]
Quote:
Envenom (Draft Two): Jekyll fires up to 2/3/4/5/6 noxious rounds at the cursor, dealing 10/25/40/55/70 (+35 ability Power) magic damage to enemies they pass through and an additional 40/55/70/85/100 (+50% Ability Power) per second for 4 seconds. Each round reduces target's magic resistance by 10 for 5 seconds, stacking up to 6 times. Jekyll’s basic attacks reduce the cooldown of Envenom by 0.5 seconds. [7 second cooldown, 750 range, Cost (activation): 40 energy, Cost (additional casts): 10 energy]

Virility (Draft Two): Hyde leaps to the target. If the target is an enemy, Hyde swipes dealing 30/60/90/120/150 (+0.8 per bonus attack damage) to that target and forcing them to the ground, rooting them for 2 seconds. After using this ability, Hyde's next Hysteria within 3 seconds will consume no energy. Virility has a minimum of 375 range. [9 second cooldown, 375-700 range, Cost: 75 energy]
UPDATE:
Envenom: I felt that a cone attack really didn't feel good for a champion wielding revolvers from a flavor standpoint and the slow felt a little unnecessary in terms of his overall kit. So, I think being able to fire 6 shots per activation fits that revolver theme better. I also tweaked the damage numbers a bit to weaken the impact damage and emphasize the DoT mechanic.

Virility:
This is more of a flavor change for Hyde that I felt necessary with the addition of Hysteria to the kit. The minimum range is to add a bit of a skill ceiling and prevent Hyde from completely locking down a target with the root coupled with his mobility.

Quote:
Tear Gas/Rampage (W): Effect changes based on Henry’s current personality.

Tear Gas (Jekyll): Throws a pellet at Jekyll's feet, creating a smokescreen for 4 seconds. Targets within the smokescreen are blinded and take 30/45/60/75/90 (+40% ability power) magic damage per second. [9 second cooldown, 700 radius Cost: 80 Energy]

Rampage (Hyde): Reveals area in a straight line in target direction for 6 seconds. Upon reactivation of this spell, Hyde will get down on all fours (1 sec delay) and sprint wildly at target location, knocking up enemies in his path. At the end of his dash, Hyde deals 80/120/160/200/240 (+1.1 per attack damage) to nearby enemy champions. [20 second cooldown, 2000 range, Cost: 120 Energy]
Quote:
Tear Gas (Draft Two): Throws a pellet at Jekyll's feet, creating a smokescreen for 4 seconds. While inside the smokescreen, Jekyll becomes invisible to enemies outside of the cloud. Enemies within the smokescreen take 30/45/60/75/90 (+80% ability power) magic damage per second. [9 second cooldown, 800 radius, Cost: 80 energy]

Rampage (Draft Two): Now causes Hyde's next Hysteria within 3 seconds to consume no energy.
UPDATE:
Tear Gas: I removed the range on the ability because I never really like it to begin with. It's designed to give Jekyll the power to make enemies fight on his terms. Either they stay outside of the cloud and leave themselves open to stealthed attacks from Jekyll (and maybe even Hyde) or enter the cloud and take a lot more magic damage.

Rampage: Just a flavor change to compliment the new Hysteria.

Quote:
Helios Grenade/Hysteria (E): Effect changes based on Henry’s current personality.

Helios Grenade (Jekyll): Pitches a grenade at target location. After 3 seconds, or reactivation of this ability, the grenade will explode dealing 80/120/160/200/240 (+70% of Ability Power) to nearby enemies, stunning them for 1 sec. After exploding, the grenade shines brightly for 4 seconds granting sight to the area. [16/14/12/10/8 second cooldown, 900 range, 600 radius, Cost: 60 Energy]

Hysteria (Hyde): Hyde thrashes about, causing his next attack to deal 40/80/120/160/200 (+0.6 per bonus attack damage) additional physical damage and grant him Hysteria, stacking up to 4 times. Hysteria increases Hyde’s attack speed by 3/6/9/12/15% and health regeneration by 5/10/15/20/25 for 5 seconds. [2.5 second cooldown, Range: 125, Cost: 50 Energy]
Quote:
Helios Grenade (Draft Two): Pitches a grenade at target location. After 3 seconds, or reactivation of this ability, the grenade will explode dealing 80/120/160/200/240 (+70% of Ability Power) magic damage to nearby enemies, stunning them for 1 sec. Enemies affected by Tear Gas are stunned for 2 seconds. After exploding, the grenade shines brightly for 4 seconds granting sight to the area. [16/14/12/10/8 second cooldown, 900 range, 600 radius, Cost: 60 Energy]

Hysteria (Draft Two): Hyde thrashes about, dealing 40/80/120/160/200 (+0.6 per bonus attack damage) to the 5 closest enemy units and granting him Hysteria, stacking up to 5 times. Hysteria increases Hyde’s attack speed by 3/6/9/12/15% and health regeneration by 5/10/15/20/25 for 5 seconds. [2.5 second cooldown, Range: 125, Cost: 50 Energy]

UPDATE:

Helios Grenade: I wanted to add another layer the the ability and give it some synergy with Jekyll's kit. I wanted to continue rolling with the theme of Jekyll making enemies fight on his terms, so the bonus stun while wading through his smokescreen.

Hysteria: I wanted to go back to my original idea of Hysteria being a thrash about ability. Hyde is not some blind rage champion, but his fighting style makes him appear that way. Having Hysteria be a targeted ability just didn't make much sense given its own description of Hyde flippin' out.

Quote:
Second Self (Ultimate): Assume your alter ego, granting the following benefits. These benefits are lost upon switching personalities. [6 second cooldown, No cost]

Jekyll:
- Increases range by 475
- Increases Ability Power by 15/35/55/75
Hyde:
- Increases Armor and Magic Resist by 10/13/16/19
- Increases Movement Speed by 20/35/50/75
- Increases Energy Regeneration by 50%.
Available at level 1.
UPDATE: I removed the cost and increased the cooldown. He's meant to change at will so having to worry about having enough energy left over after the change just didn't fit that to make it worth anything. Now, players will be able to swap whenever they see fit, they just have to make sure that they won't need their other half for 6 seconds.

Mechanics Overview:

Henry is a champion that thrives on situational awareness. Knowing which champion to utilize in each situation is the key to success. Each personality has its own strengths and weaknesses, so always be on the look out to bring out the strength in each. However, the energy system prevents you from changing whenever you please, meaning understanding the situation is even more key.

Quote:

Quips:

Upon Selection: “Reflexes and Thought must be one” (Hyde’s voice)

Passive Activation (Hyde): “We attack together!” (Jekyll’s Voice)

Second Self (Jekyll to Hyde): “Well done, my other self!” (Hyde’s voice)

Second Self (Hyde to Jekyll): “You said it, Hyde!” (Jekyll’s voice)

Movement:

“I’m doing this for you!” (Hyde)
“Is it necessary to kill them?” (Jekyll)
“The inner voice” (Jekyll)
“Did you think I’d let you get away?” (Hyde)

Attacking:

“This is farewell!” (Hyde)
“I’ve finally found you!” (Hyde)
“Overwhelming Force!” (Hyde)
“I only need one shot!” (Jekyll)
“Eliminating the target!” (Jekyll)
“I do what I must,” (Jekyll)
Quote:
Lore:

Henry Jekyll has no memory of his past; no family, no friends. Ever since his childhood, there has only been the Facility; his place of refuge as well as torment. On the fringes of Demacian society, there is an underground syndicate that studies behavior in children; their mission, to find a way to unlock human potential and give birth to a new breed of soldier. Vicious tests are conducted in a bid to stimulate unnatural brain activity. For years, these tests had been unsuccessful. That is until Henry came into the picture.

From the time he was a child, Jekyll demonstrated an uncanny understanding of alchemy, physics and philosophy. The Facility subjected the boy to immense amounts of psychotherapy, enhancing his already genius-level intellect as well as honing his reflexes. No matter what inhumane tests Henry was put through, the kind-hearted boy always greeted the doctors with a smile. They could never imagine the pain and anguish that lay behind that innocent grin.

When he was 18, Jekyll found himself amongst a group of patients escaping from the Facility. Fugitives, the small band of escapees spent their days and nights trying to dodge their pursuers. Surrounded, the small group made a last stand. It was then that something snapped in Henry Jekyll. Some call it fear, some call it courage, but all young Henry felt was…rage. All the years of suffering, all those feelings of panic, anger and sadness manifested themselves as consciousness. Blood and adrenaline surged through Henry’s vitals, his senses reaching super-human acuteness. What followed was a massacre.

The boy lashed out like a wounded bear, eviscerating the soldiers. The other escapees looked on in shock as Henry tore through enemy ranks, laughing as he hewed them. When it was all over, Henry turned on his fellow patients. Henry woke up to rain falling on his head and the sight of thirty corpses of soldier and patient alike. The boy had no memory of what had happened. Frantically, he washed the blood from his hands and face in a nearby puddle. That’s when he heard a voice. Looking into the pool, Henry saw his reflection, but something was different. The skin was pale and the face was twisted into a grin, revealing small fangs. Yellow eyes stared back into Henry’s icy gray. The figure revealed itself to be a friend and someone Henry could trust. With the sound of sirens on the horizon, Henry escaped into the forests, swearing to return to save the other patients trapped within that facility.

Today, three years since that gruesome day, Henry fights in the League; hoping to draw out the members of the Facility. His second self, simply called Hyde, continues to make his presence known. While Henry does not always agree with Hyde’s brutality, he has come to terms with his darker half; hoping to use it to accomplish his own ends.

“To defeat the demon within, you must embrace it” – Henry Jekyll –

Up Next: Axel, the Limitbreaker
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1553171

And check out my other concepts:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...5#post32018055

Draginath

03-18-2012

Henry, the Shattered Mind (Revamped):

Quote:
Resource- Dementia: On ability use, Henry gains 1 stack of dementia. Upon reaching 10 stacks, Henry can activate Second Self, becoming his alter ego, Hyde. Dementia appears as 10 fuchsia orbs where mana would normally be.
I decided to take a new approach make Hyde more of a "Hulking out"state for Henry. Rather than frequently swapping between forms, players will now have to properly utilize spells to awaken Hyde and all the power that lies there. I want both personalities to be integral to game play, but make both be relevant across a variety of situations.

Quote:
Duplicity (Passive): Every 7 ability uses, Henry enrages for 6 seconds, gaining 40% increased movement and attack speed and causing his basic attacks to deal 20/30/40/50 (+10% ability power) additional magic damage. Duplicity resets on death.
I still liked the concept of giving Henry moments where both personalities are present, so I decided to consolidate the separate bonuses from the old passive. While powerful across the board, this passive will really shine while Hyde is active due to significantly increased up time.

Quote:
Envenom/Virility (Q): Henry fires up to 2/3/4/5/6 noxious rounds at the cursor, dealing 10/25/40/55/70 (+35% ability Power) magic damage to enemies they pass through and an additional 40/55/70/85/100 (+50% Ability Power) per second for 4 seconds. Each round reduces target's magic resistance by 10 for 5 seconds, stacking up to 6 times. Basic attacks reduce the cooldown of Envenom by 0.5 seconds. [7 second cooldown, 750 range]
Virility (Hyde): Hyde leaps to the target. If the target is an enemy, Hyde swipes dealing 30/60/90/120/150 (+0.8 per bonus attack damage) to that target and forcing them to the ground, rooting them for 2 seconds. Basic attacks reduce Virility’s cooldown by 0.5 seconds. Virility has a minimum 375 range. [9 second cooldown, 375-700 range]
Not many changes other than moving from an Energy system. I added the CDR to Virility to really amp up the Hyde phase and make it feel more ultimate.

Quote:
Haze/Hysteria (W): Throws a pellet at Jekyll's feet, creating a smokescreen for 4 seconds. While inside the smokescreen, Jekyll becomes invisible to enemies outside of the cloud. Enemies within the smokescreen take 30/45/60/75/90 (+80% ability power) magic damage per second. [9 second cooldown, 800 radius]
Hysteria (Hyde): Hyde thrashes about, dealing 40/80/120/160/200 (+0.6 per bonus attack damage) to the 5 closest enemy units and granting him Hysteria, stacking up to 5 times. Hysteria increases Hyde’s attack speed by 3/6/9/12/15% and health regeneration by 5/10/15/20/25 for 5 seconds. [2.5 second cooldown, Range: 125]
New name for Tear Gas, but no real changes there. There is a major change, though, is Rampage is gone and Hysteria moved to W. I really like Rampage, but it just wouldn't work with this new resource system. There are only 30 seconds to utilize Hyde, so ability pace is important and Rampage didn't fit that bill.

Quote:
Helios Grenade/Overwhelm (E): Pitches a grenade at target location. After 3 seconds, or reactivation of this ability, the grenade will explode dealing 80/120/160/200/240 (+70% of Ability Power) magic damage to nearby enemies, stunning them for 1 sec. Enemies affected by Haze are stunned for 2 seconds. After exploding, the grenade shines brightly for 4 seconds granting sight to the area. [16/14/12/10/8 second cooldown, 900 range, 600 radius]
Overwhelm (Hyde): Hyde subdues to target enemy, dealing 60/120/180/240/300 (+1.0 per bonus attack damage) physical damage and stunning them for 2 seconds. In this time, Hyde can reactivate this skill to hurl his prey at the cursor, dealing the same amount of physical damage to all enemies hit (including target). [10 second cooldown, 300 range (dash), 350 range (throw)]
For those of you who saw the very first incarnation of this concept (see link in OP), Overwhelm was an ability that I tossed because I felt it was a little overpowered for an ability that Henry had frequent access to. With this new system and each ability feeling like mini-ultimates, I thought it was time to bring Overwhelm back. Its synergy provides an interesting choice for players too. Either leave the target stunned for free Hysteria stacks or toss them out of range, opening up for Virility. I really like the flavor of Hyde feeling very bestial.

Quote:
Second Self (Ultimate): Henry awakens Hyde, increasing his armor and magic resist by 10/13/16/19 and his movement speed by 20/35/50/75. Hyde gains new abilities and can remain active for up to 30 seconds. Deactivating Hyde early grants Henry stacks of Dementia based on how long Hyde was active.
0-10 seconds: Gains 3 stacks
10-20 seconds: Gains 2 stacks
20-30 seconds: Gains 1 stack
Second Self can only be activated when Henry has 10 stacks of Dementia. Henry cannot generate Dementia while Hyde is active. This ability is available at level 1.
An idea I swiped from one of my upcoming champ concepts. A major critique I got was that there wasn't much reason to swap to Hyde, especially with an AP build. I want players to have those situations where they can call on Hyde and his brute force without having to worry about completely drain their resources. With Dementia, players can activate/deactivate Hyde as the situation calls for it, making both personalities and their strength/weaknesses more profound. The deactivation refund is something that I thought could be really cool to give a few more choices to players. Hyde's abilities are significantly more powerful, especially in tandem with each other, but leaving that heightened state early means you can re-enter sooner.

Quote:
Quips:

Upon Selection: “Reflexes and Thought must be one” (Hyde’s voice)

Passive Activation: “We attack together!” (Jekyll’s Voice)

Activating Second Self: “Well done, my other self!” (Hyde’s voice)

Overwhelm (Lunge): “Did you think I’d let you get away?”
Overwhelm (Throw): "This is Farewell!"

Movement:

“I’m doing this for you!” (Hyde)
“I’ve finally found you!” (Hyde)
“Overwhelming Force!” (Hyde)
*Maniacal Laughter* (Hyde)
*Jekyll can be heard trying to convince Henry to stop his rampage while Second Self is active.

“Is it necessary to kill them?” (Jekyll)
“The inner voice” (Jekyll)
“I only need one shot!” (Jekyll)
“Eliminating the target!” (Jekyll)
“I do what I must,” (Jekyll)

xxXxxTheAmazing

03-20-2012

So Nidalee with new abilities
Yeah I like the idea, somehow decided only to read the book a few days ago
The damage numbers are way too low though, 90 at level 5? rammus's powerball does more than that at level 1. 150 with a 1.1 bonus AD ratio is not gonna deal any damage unless you have 6 bloodthirsters

Draginath

03-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxXxxTheAmazing View Post
So Nidalee with new abilities
Yeah I like the idea, somehow decided only to read the book a few days ago
The damage numbers are way too low though, 90 at level 5? rammus's powerball does more than that at level 1. 150 with a 1.1 bonus AD ratio is not gonna deal any damage unless you have 6 bloodthirsters
90 damage per second? That's pretty much in line with DoTs like Swain's.

xxXxxTheAmazing

03-20-2012

Oh sorry i didn't see they were all DoT. That makes more sense now

DrWhippy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-31-2012

The main problem I see with this is originality as it is like having a second nidalee, as stated earlier.

I know this suggestion will require some intense reworking of your champion, but I'm saying it with Jek and Hyde in mind. Make the passive the thing that switches Henry between personalities. Make it so that every 5~7 spells he turns into Hyde and once he's Hyde make the him turn back into Jek after 2 spells. This creates the feeling of a "lack of control" which was present with Jekyll and Hyde.

Furthermore, it keeps planning while adding variety and restriction which isn't present with nidalee. The second ability based on personality synergizes very well with the idea; however, the problem I see with my idea is the skill cap which it might make by forcing the player to keep track of everything.

take it with a grain of salt, I really don't want to impose upon your champion idea as I do think it's really cool; however, I just really don't like the idea of having an ult available at level 1 regardless of its effects and purpose.

MetrOrient

04-04-2012

each form should change gender

Luei

05-20-2012

A Jekyll and Hyde character in my League of Legends?? Preposterous!

Seriously though, though the idea of a Jekyll/Hyde character is a popular one indeed, a lot of the time they aren't flat out called Jekyll and Hyde. I guess the idea is to just take the character from the story and make him in LoL, but I really would have preferred you come up with something much more original, not only because Riot won't - any maybe can't - make a champion that is literally imported from another place. In the end it doesn't really matter, since Riot would only use this to get inspiration for a character, but still.

Before we get started, remember that everything I say is just a suggestion, and I say it not to be mean but to help you and Henry improve. Now, prepare for walls and walls of text.

As for the character, I like the idea of switching between two forms, each equal and powerful in their own ways, much like Nidalee (though I've never been really good at playing her :/ ). On one hand there's the powerful caster in Jekyll, with a ton of ranged damage and no limit on his casting, and on the other there's the melee powerhouse Hyde who will destroy you in melee combat more often than not.

However, I see some pretty big problems in this design. For starts, let's talk about Jekyll. While Jekyll is supposed to be a genius, his abilities really don't reflect that. All of them are big AOE attacks with decent damage, and none of them require much strategy to use, and the only way to use any of them optimally is to just hit as many people as you can with them. Then you're done. He's built as a caster, and gets some bonus cooldown if he autoattacks, but his abilities are really boring. On top of that, he just uses guns and market-grade grenades, nothing really potent or scary, and probably not much he made himself.

His Q is probably the worst offender to his array of spells, as it smacks more of Graves or Ashe, both AD champs, while he's supposed to be AP. Also, besides a bit of flat damage and damage over time, the spell really doesn't DO anything.

As for his W, by blinded did you mean like Graves' Smoke Grenade or like Teemo's Blinding Dart? The latter makes the spell's area far too ridiculous, as any enemies inside (which would be any he wanted to be inside) would be almost helpless to fight back, and he might be able to kill them before they have a chance to fight back, which is not very fun for either side. The former would make it more like a Nocturne ult, but in a relatively small range, and could set up for his other skills; for example, he could blind them in the gas, then toss his E and have them walk right into it, or set up for a gank, or jump in as Hyde when they're least expecting it. Either way, the main problem I see with it is the radius of the effect, it's huge.

His E is probably his best ability, though I think still needs some work. It's easily his most tactical and skill-needing ability. It reminds me of Ziggs' Satchel Charge, but with some different effects. However, it does little do differentiate itself from his other spells. It has a ridiculously large range for the kind of spell it is, the stun is so short it's almost negligible, and the sight, while nice, doesn't really add that much. Essentially, it's a huge AOE on a build with 2 other huge AOEs, but those just happen to be DOTs.

Now for Hyde. He's an insane, almost bestial form of Henry, delighting in tearing people to shreds. And his abilities kind of show that, but they seem far more tactical than even the Jekyll skills. Whereas (as you have them built) Jekyll focuses on doing a ton of area damage all the time, Hyde actually focuses more on disables and staying in range. It's a strange dichotomy, to be sure.

His Q, while a nice gap closer, feels a lot like Jax's Leap Strike, especially when combined with his E, it's almost the same. His W feels a lot like Malphite's Unstoppable Force, which isn't a bad thing flavor-wise, but when combined with his other skills doesn't really work all that well; it's just another gap closer with a bit of a stun. His E feels like a combination of Jax's passive and Empower. Overall, It just feels like a lot more tactical of a skill set than an insane almost-feral fighter should have.

His W doesn't need to have the vision component, as Jekyll's E already does that, and again it FEELS like he should be charging in blind. Also, it might be better to have the potential power put into that effect to be more focused on killing. The knockup's nice, showcasing his sheer power (if that's what you were going for). The biggest thing that I think needs fixing is that it doesn't need to be a gap closer. He already has a bonus on move speed, his Q is a good gap closer and initiator, and if he buys a Phage or Frozen Mallet or anything of the sort, he will likely proc the slow very easily.

His E is his bread and butter, and is already pretty good. The only complaint I would have is that you can get a ton of bonuses from having full stacks, but it takes him a long time to get them.

And now for his R. I must say, the most exciting prospect of having an alternately AP or AD carry is the kind of awesome combos you could pull by switching forms in the middle of a fight, again much like Nidalee. You could blind someone with Jekyll's W, turn into Hyde and Q pounce onto them. Or you could throw out his stun grenade, hit an enemy with it, throw Jekyll's Q, and have plenty of time to run up as Hyde without wasting your gap closer. The problem is that with his costs for his abilities being what they are, you can only use one Jekyll ability, transform into Hyde, and then.... not much else. You might have enough to use the gap closer at max level, but at low level, transforming into Hyde is patently useless unless you have time to recharge your energy.

Now looking at possible builds thereís the AD build, which would focus on Hyde for sure, but would also give Jekyll more cooldown reduction on his Q, which is a nice touch. Hyde would be insanely powerful, and Jekyll would most certainly NOT. Thereís really no reason to switch to Jekyll, other than to open up with a blind or a stun, but the cost to then switch to Hyde would make it so that you donít have much to do. Then thereís an AP build; Jekyll would be insanely powerful, able to dish out tons of damage over a large area, but there would be no reason to switch to Hyde ever, other than his mobility and dashes, but you canít even afford them after changing unless youíre at max level and have full energy, in which case youíd just use Jekyllís stun and blind spells instead. Then thereís a hybrid build, and by now you can probably see that hybrid builds just get hosed. They have to choose which form to fight in, and switching in combat is pretty much not an option, as you just donít have any energy to work with afterwards.

And now I get to the positive section. I hope you havenít gotten too hurt or bored by the walls of text, but bear with me.

Again, the most exciting prospect in a hybrid champion is the ability to switch forms on a whim and be useful in a ton of different ways. The way Henry is built now, he pretty much has to choose which form to use and stick with it throughout the game to be effective, which makes him very predictable, and also underpowered because he doesnít have an ultimate (and has no reason to switch to his second set of abilities). An easy fix to this would be to lower the transformation cost, at least going Jekyll->Hyde, as it opens up a world of combos and possibilities that just don't work the way it is now. Alternately, I notice there are only 2 ways of restoring energy, one for each form, both of them passive. It would help a great deal to keep Henry in the fight if each form had a way to recover a lump sum of energy, though I'll leave it to you to figure out how, since it would require retooling of his abilities somewhat.

For Jekyllís Q, I'd much prefer to see a thin line skill shot that passes through enemies, and is FAR more punishing than the current version, adding some sort of CC or setting them up for additional damage. Also, I like how the cooldown decreases with autoattacks, as it synergizes well with a hybrid build or someone more focused on the Hyde aspect. Also, I'd like to see it have more flavor; since Jekyll is a genius, have it be something he made or invented that is unique in LoL.

For Jekyllís W, were I you, I'd have it work like a Nocturne ult, reducing their sight to just a little bit around them as long as they're in the radius, but I'd reduce the radius to be a bit bigger than Graves' Smoke Grenade, maybe about the size of Nasus' Spirit Fire. That way you could set up all sorts of combos with ALL of his abilities, making the enemy run into all his other skill shots, or bum rushing them before they can react as Hyde. Also, this ability does almost the exact same thing as his Q, but with higher cooldown and energy cost, and somewhat easier to avoid, so I think it would help to work on making them more different from each other. And again, I would like to see you make Jekyll more unique in his flavor; since he's a brilliant alchemist, have it be a custom concoction that he makes, a reaaaaally nasty one.

For Jekyllís E, I'd prefer to see the range reduced considerably, making this more a skill shot than before. This way you could justify having a longer stun, maybe more damage, and it would be a cool effect if it also applied sight on any champions it hit for a while. And again, I feel you could add far more flavor to it to make it unique for Jekyll.

For Hyde, his Q is good, and fits the way it's made, no real complaints, other than it's very similar to a lot of abilities already in the game (Jax especially, Pantheon, etc.). Were I to change it, I'd make it so that either it could only be used on enemies and maybe also slowed them some, or I'd make it work like Rammus's Powerball, giving him a huge burst of speed, maybe getting higher as he got closer to an enemy, and then giving him some sort of edge to start beating the **** out of them. Just a thought, really, but either of these ways would make Hyde feel more like an insane murderer, focused on tearing other people to shreds rather than running away and repositioning himself.

For Hydeís W, I think the skill would work better as a way to set someone up for a ton of damage from his attacks, like a shred armor effect, or a way to keep him in the fight, like a heal or shield would be nice, so that he doesn't die, and could potentially get some more survivability if he builds AP instead (and it would give him a reason to go into Hyde form, just something to think about).

Hydeís E is pretty much good, but again still takes a little too long to reach full stacks. Maybe if he gets a kill or assist he gets one or more stacks instantly? Also, it could have some sort of cleave or hit an area around him if you think Hyde needs more AOE (up to you, really). Or, he could recover energy when he autoattacks based on how many stacks of this he has, that might work really well.

Wow, that took hours to do. I hope I helped, and I honestly do want to see Henry evolve into a complete and interesting champion. Again, everything I said is just a suggestion, and Iím certainly no authority on champion design. If I come off as a bit abrasive or something, let me know, and sorry if thatís the case. Again, Iím just trying to help, but sometimes I canít help but be a bit of a ****.

Draginath

05-25-2012

@Luei,

The first thing I wanted to address was Tear Gas. I had its radius so large because it didn't have range. It was Jekyll simply throwing down a smoke pellet where he stood. It was designed to be Jekyll's dueling tool since he's a bit squishy. I only added range so that it had a bit more use in his damage line-up. I'm going back to the original design, but I have some ideas as to its new effects.

Next, is your critique on Jekyll vs. Hyde's complexity. There is supposed to be a bit of a paradox there. Neither personality is meant to have this huge complexity on their own. Rather the complexities come from using abilities across personalities as well as maximizing usage of his passive, Duplicity. Jekyll is the major damage source for the champion, Hyde is designed to help Jekyll do that job better. Hyde is all about survival and utility with Jekyll helping him do that better.

Because of those complexities, there really is no real purpose to have each form be complex on their own. In fact, I want it such that one personality cannot effectively do their job without the other or at least, ignoring a form is putting yourself at a potential disadvantage. An AP build will give Jekyll huge damage, but Hyde's mobility and tankiness are invaluable. Hyde is highly mobile, but his dueling capabilities are drastically increased with Jekyll's help. Playing this champ is all about understanding two very different champions and finding a balance across those play-styles.

That being said, like Tear Gas, I do have some ideas that I'm playing with. I think that having a skill shot reticule like Lulu's Q on Jekyll's Envenom could be very interesting to play with. I played around with Hyde's Rampage being a blind dash, and while I think it's interesting, I never intended Hyde to be "blind fury" but "controlled aggression". Hyde is every bit as calculating as Jekyll, his combat tactics are just different. Hyde's E is designed to take a while to fully stack because it gives heavy benefits at max stacks. Hysteria is an energy dump, it's there to give Hyde filler between his other mildly long CDs. The goal is not to sit there and try to get max stacks.

I think I've tackled most of your points. Thanks for such an in-depth analysis.

Draginath

05-26-2012

Made some pretty significant updates to his kit to increase depth for each personality as well as synergy across personalities. Tell me what you guys think.

NOTE: Changing the name of Tear Gas since it now longer fulfills that namesake. Any ideas are most welcome since Smokescreen is out of the question.