Morello - This is a serious issue and you are responsible

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

03-15-2012
16 of 90 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrippledPimp View Post
Hi Morello,

What kind of data do you guys use? I'm just a data monkey and I'm curious.

Do you guys do focus groups? Do you guys compare the frequency of certain champion selections? Do you guys compare win/loss of certain champions?

How do you know when something is representative of the player base when the ultimate gauge of unhappiness is not playing the game (....which you can't gauge since they aren't playing the game -- unless you gauge population trends and notice a slump among a certain area)

Is it more qualitative or quantitative?
Things like popularity, adoption, churn, win rates, all sorts of stuff (and if you're not careful, this can be easily misused!) help point us to trends and problems to look at. It's actually super helpful!

EmptyCapital

03-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Yes, which is why we use tons of analysis techniques and data to inform decisions as well Anecdotal experience is the least valuable tool at our disposal.
Quote:
Yes, which is why we use tons of analysis techniques and data to inform decisions as well
Quote:
Yes, which is why we use tons of analysis techniques
Quote:
tons of analysis

Dirty Foot

03-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0MENTUM View Post
Hey Morello, I had another question but not so much related to stealth, is there any plans to improve pushing as an optional team plan? Currently teams don't push unless they kill a lane, so pushing isn't the strategy, straight fighting is the strategy. It just seems like being a 'pusher' is a meaningless title because you don't want to push your lane, you want to kill your lane so you can push, so really being a killer seems better for actually pushing a lane than being a pusher. I just ask because I love Heimerdinger and he makes a great poke champion, but you can't utilize his pushing ability because its just an all out weaker strategy versus killing the lane and then doing what you want with the lane.
I keep trying to being this up when I see a recent Red post in a thread. I think downing turrets is too undervalued, which leaves players relying on last-hits (an inherently passive type a game play).

Increasing turret kill rewards would significantly increase the aggressiveness of the game. They could do it by either increasing team g10 after each tower kill, or just giving a much larger flat gold payout. This would also help lighten the impact of the 0 CS meta on supports, because they can still get decent gold without farming.

Although, I just wish farming would die a mechanic in the first place.

CrippledPimp

03-15-2012

Quote:
Things like popularity, adoption, churn, win rates, all sorts of stuff (and if you're not careful, this can be easily misused!) help point us to trends and problems to look at. It's actually super helpful!
Awesome! That's really cool. I wish I could get my hands on that raw data. Would be so cool.

I'd do analyses for you guys allllll dayyyy.

Doctor Who Bot

03-15-2012

@Morello: I for one am looking forward to seeing the new changes to Eve, and I don't doubt that you guys are working hard on making the changes (as with stealth in general). However, somewhere previously in the huge discussion, people were asking about if you guys would stop making new champions and instead create new maps and other features. My question to you is, is the Riot team working on trying to produce a new map for the LoL players to use at this time, as well as other new features for the game? I know that you are very restricted on what you're allowed to release, so I'm not expecting details. However, after the question was raised and seeing that you have been amazing at not only answering questions, but maintaining communication with players that have concerns and complaints, perhaps you could quickly shed a little light on the subject?

If not, I still admire how you show kindness and cooperation to the community while maintaining communication of what's going on in the land of Riot's Development.

Morello

Lead Designer

03-15-2012
17 of 90 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox P McCloud View Post
I admit I was joking a bit, but now you've piqued my curiosity--how often does this become a problem in your design experience? I realize you'd strive to minimize it as much as possible...but....we as humans (well, and some foxes) tend to cling to ideas we initially like.

I mean no offense by this Morello...but this is a bit of a joke. =/ The only real thing that was attempting to break the meta (kill lane bot with Blitz-star) got absolutely crushed...quite horrendously, at that =/
For the first point, this is the primary disconnect between our decisions and player perception. Since it's easy to understand what you feel and like, anything counter to that is hard to swallow or accept a lot of the time, even if the total result is good for the game. It's why the open back-and-forth we have with you guys is important for everyone.

Secondly, there were a couple other, more successful examples!

Morello

Lead Designer

03-15-2012
18 of 90 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrippledPimp View Post
Awesome! That's really cool. I wish I could get my hands on that raw data. Would be so cool.

I'd do analyses for you guys allllll dayyyy.
If you're good at this stuff and can prove it, we're ALWAYS looking for fantastic data dudes. You should apply.

Morello

Lead Designer

03-15-2012
19 of 90 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyCapital View Post
tons of analysis.
lol

Echorion

03-15-2012

This is the first thread I've seen that has completely addressed almost all of my concerns and questions on an issue, I'm actually content to drop the topic myself until it's done.
(Usually it's a depressing dodge around I see depending on =/ )

Kagormund

03-15-2012

I know this is an eve thread and all, but I would really like any news on xin zhao and since you seem to be actively engaging with the player base at the moment morello, could you please tell us what your current plans for xin zhao are? Even if it is "nothing" I'm sure many people would like an answer.