Purchasing New Identities

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

slifty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-27-2012

I realize this might be a bit of an odd idea, but it seems like it would be great functionality and could provide another way to make some cash.

Right now you can buy a card to change your name -- blizzard style -- but what if you could simply buy an additional summoner name. The idea is that you would have the same login linked to multiple summoners. The summoners names would share the same content but would have different names (and ideally different records as well).

This would be a nice alternative to smurfing and would allow players with the need or desire to have multiple names to have a cohesive presence with a fragmented identity.

Thoughts from the crowd?

EDIT: give thumbs up and comment if you like this idea! Would also love to hear if you have any additional thoughts.

mauser

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-27-2012

I totally agree, I also wish to be able to merge accounts.

Telrik

02-27-2012

Yeah, this would be really great.

This idea would greatly reduce the problems with smurfing. Let's say you haven't played for three months, and you want to get back in the game, but you don't want to tank your main by 200 rating (ranked or normal ELO.) One solution is to smurf. You can make a second account, but that would start at level 1, and that means you'd be playing against people who just picked up the game; a pretty unfair situation.

In this case, your smurfs could start out at level 30 with some predetermined W/L record (perhaps even starting at your current normal ELO), so you can bypass the leveling process completely. New players could play almost exclusively against new players.

I would definitely buy *at least* one second alias.

slifty

03-14-2012

(I'm curious, by the way -- does Riot read these kinds of posts or am I wasting time bringing it up in this format? Is there a more official "feedback form" somewhere?)

LowPolyCount

Associate Flash Engineer

03-14-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slifty View Post
(I'm curious, by the way -- does Riot read these kinds of posts or am I wasting time bringing it up in this format? Is there a more official "feedback form" somewhere?)
I won't speak for others, but I read everything in the UI sub-forums.

Olera144

03-14-2012

I agree this could be an interesting way to circumvent some of the smurifng problem. Were this idea to be implemented what would you propose be done for tribunal/bans?

AbyssionKnight

03-14-2012

I think the idea on paper sounds good but in reality is just a lot of work for no reason.

Banned People. Presumably all their linked accounts would be banned? Considering you're suggesting linked ones would have all the same resources and be lvl 30, they'd have to be all banned or it really wouldn't seem like a punishment. What would this mean? The banned people would smurf.

People who like Progression. Every so often threads pop up from people who want more challenge. These people like levelling up and having a goal to reach. A few threads have even asked for ways to pay to get your level reduced to 1. If your accounts started at level 30 they wouldn't use them. If they started at lvl 1 they probably still wouldn't use them. After all, why pay for a lvl 1 when you can smurf one for free? Plus these people like to earn champions and runes typically. (Though it might reduce some of these smurfs)

People with Newbie Friends. These people bring new friends into the game,and make smurfs in order to ensure that their level 30 account(s) don't effect the experience of their friend. Having any form of preset elo on these linked accounts would kind of defeat their intent, and if these super accounts(with all their runes and champs) were brought to level one and with no elo), it'd make the current issue worse.

So unless i'm missing something here I don't really think this would solve anything at all. :/

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

03-14-2012

I don't think the issue with smurfing is with those that might use this feature, rather it's with those that decidedly wouldn't use this feature. How do you ensure that someone in a free game pays to make a second summoner?

Leon

03-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
I don't think the issue with smurfing is with those that might use this feature, rather it's with those that decidedly wouldn't use this feature. How do you ensure that someone in a free game pays to make a second summoner?
champions, skins, runes... kinda

Dirty Foot

03-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by slifty View Post
I realize this might be a bit of an odd idea, but it seems like it would be great functionality and could provide another way to make some cash.

Right now you can buy a card to change your name -- blizzard style -- but what if you could simply buy an additional summoner name. The idea is that you would have the same login linked to multiple summoners. The summoners names would share the same content but would have different names (and ideally different records as well).

This would be a nice alternative to smurfing and would allow players with the need or desire to have multiple names to have a cohesive presence with a fragmented identity.

Thoughts from the crowd?

EDIT: give thumbs up and comment if you like this idea! Would also love to hear if you have any additional thoughts.
If only I could separate my name from some of my old rage threads.