How many games do you expect to play before you reach your true Elo?

< 10 Games 180 1.63%
11-40 Games 819 7.41%
41-80 Games 1,162 10.52%
81-120 Games 1,737 15.72%
121-160 Games 665 6.02%
161-200 Games 929 8.41%
200-399 Games 1,703 15.41%
400-599 Games 1,087 9.84%
600-799 Games 456 4.13%
800-999 Games 170 1.54%
1000+ Games 2,140 19.37%
Voters: 11048. You may not vote on this poll

Help Riot improve matchmaking! Looking for examples of bad matchmaking

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

03-07-2012
131 of 173 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugs From Momma View Post
Will these changes apply only to ranked play?

I'm asking because I know in Dominion matches I've been grouped with people over 1,000 elo lower than myself (2100 elo matched with an 800 elo).

Should we really be asked to play that?
Do not use bots or third-party tools to find out Normal Elos in SR or Dominion. They are not even close to accurate.

To answer the question, we have not decided if we are changing punishments for queue dodge, just discussing it at the moment.

InertPackage

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
I will think about this. I generally believe that our professional and competitive players should be held to higher standards since they can be or already are role models for many of our players. Similarly, Rioters are held to higher standards than simply the Summoner's Code because we have to represent what we believe in and preach.

We are already discussing potential revisions to punishments for leaving games in general, and queue-dodging in general.
You are thinking about this wrongly, and your president tryndamere is online with my way of thinking. We need to stop thinking about better ways to punish wrong doing, but rather think about better ways to reward positive behavior. One could almost take the overnight success of a site Reddit for example. Good posts that people enjoy get a thumbs up. These posts are rewarded with front page exposure. People in the game playing correctly/positively/well as I posted earlier in this thread should be rewarded with small elo increases, and/or higher IP gains. There are so many things you could do that would almost eliminate the tribunal.

Averath

03-07-2012

Quote:
I will think about this. I generally believe that our professional and competitive players should be held to higher standards since they can be or already are role models for many of our players. Similarly, Rioters are held to higher standards than simply the Summoner's Code because we have to represent what we believe in and preach.

We are already discussing potential revisions to punishments for leaving games in general, and queue-dodging in general.
I sincerely hope you don't intend to punish people for queue-dodging in general. As it is, the main reason I completely avoid ranked play is because queue-dodging gives you a penalty aside just time. There are a lot of cases where you can easily tell that you will not enjoy the match because of the way the team is acting during champion select, as well as what champions they've chosen.

For example, lets say that we're following the current meta and are building our team up. I am the final pick, and it is up to me to pick a support champion. We already have a jungler. What happens if I choose to play as Evelynn, and take Exhaust and Smite? It is clear that I am attempting to FORCE other people to queue-dodge, as I will intentionally disrupt the game.

There are also cases where, in blink pick, people will instantly lock-in champions and completely ignore any sense of team composition. In these cases it leaves my team at a significant disadvantage, because there's no real teamwork, but rather selfish players choosing to treat the game as if it is some sort of Deathmatch mode, where they're completely independent from the remaining players.

Hugs From Momma

03-07-2012

Quote:
Do not use bots or third-party tools to find out Normal Elos in SR or Dominion. They are not even close to accurate.

To answer the question, we have not decided if we are changing punishments for queue dodge, just discussing it at the moment.
Thanks for the response. I wonder what info the Dominion bot is reporting then.

Don't get me wrong, it's been a great tool for the community to track their Dominion ups and downs (lacking ranked) but I'm curious to find out that it's wrong? Not sure how to feel about this info...

On the penalties side of things, I'd hope that the penalties for Dominion be set lower than SR, simply due to having to wait 15 minutes to play a 20 minute match seems a bit harsh.

Blind Trooper

Recruiter

03-07-2012

Lyte, what are the odds Riot will crack down in Ranked?

I know in DotA, the ranked ladders were seen in a "I want to win and none will stop me!" serious light and anyone who trolled/afk'd, etc etc were punished immediately. They took their Ranked system far more seriously then Riot seems to :/

kidco

03-07-2012

Just turned gold guys after 430 ranked games. I want to say that I have improved so much and that I'm much better than the average player and my elo is greater than yours but honestly.

elo isn't a good indicator of skill. back when I was stuck in 1200s I was about the same skill level tbh, I've improved a little bit but I'm so proud I'm finally gold guyz gg.

Lyte

03-07-2012
132 of 173 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InertPackage View Post
You are thinking about this wrongly, and your president tryndamere is online with my way of thinking. We need to stop thinking about better ways to punish wrong doing, but rather think about better ways to reward positive behavior. One could almost take the overnight success of a site Reddit for example. Good posts that people enjoy get a thumbs up. These posts are rewarded with front page exposure. People in the game playing correctly/positively/well as I posted earlier in this thread should be rewarded with small elo increases, and/or higher IP gains. There are so many things you could do that would almost eliminate the tribunal.
You assume they are mutually exclusive, but they are not.

Given my background in Psychology, I completely agree that we need to infuse League of Legends with positive features that promote positive behaviors. One of the main reasons I moved to Riot was because I have the background to infuse the game with features that can educate and promote our players on what 'good' behavior is.

Lyte

03-07-2012
133 of 173 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averath View Post
I sincerely hope you don't intend to punish people for queue-dodging in general. As it is, the main reason I completely avoid ranked play is because queue-dodging gives you a penalty aside just time. There are a lot of cases where you can easily tell that you will not enjoy the match because of the way the team is acting during champion select, as well as what champions they've chosen.

For example, lets say that we're following the current meta and are building our team up. I am the final pick, and it is up to me to pick a support champion. We already have a jungler. What happens if I choose to play as Evelynn, and take Exhaust and Smite? It is clear that I am attempting to FORCE other people to queue-dodge, as I will intentionally disrupt the game.

There are also cases where, in blink pick, people will instantly lock-in champions and completely ignore any sense of team composition. In these cases it leaves my team at a significant disadvantage, because there's no real teamwork, but rather selfish players choosing to treat the game as if it is some sort of Deathmatch mode, where they're completely independent from the remaining players.
The point is not to just punish players who queue dodge. We are interested in why players are queue-dodging, and then determining if we can fix the source of the problems. We are simply discussing whether the current penalties for queue dodging is appropriate while we are investigating the causes of queue dodging.

Para

03-07-2012

Well I just had a game where on the opposing team, there was a 1700 elo player in my 1400 game :|

Phourc

03-07-2012

Quote:
As a Dominion player, it's all we got, man.