On Jungling in Ranked: For Both Non-Junglers and Junglers

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HonestDav

07-27-2010

I originally posted this in the General Discussion section a few months back when it was largely unfinished, but after reading replies and talking with both junglers and non-junglers alike and since Ranked games have brought about more game changes, especially areas surrounding the jungling areas I decided to update my guide and thoughts. This is not a repost but an updated revision.

This is not a guide but rather a discussion on strategy and how a team with junglers can fit into it.

But the purpose of this is to set a few ground rules on the jungler's behalf. Because, face it, if a team loses, odds are the jungler receives some blame for not being the wildcard he was meant to be. This guide attempts to rectify that by discussing roles for non-junglers and junglers alike. To start off, I will first talk about junglers and their responsibilities and roles. After that I will talk about non-junglers and what they can help themselves and the jungler.

For the Jungler:

Here's the Jungler's Code, which outlines several important points, follow them and you may get the MVP.

THOU SHALL MENTION THY INTENTION TO JUNGLE IN MATCHMAKING!
This especially applies to anyone who is NOT jungling as a Warwick or Shaco (Olaf, Yi, & Udyr specifically). We all played enough games to know right off the bat that those two pretty much head for the jungle right off the bat and will make adjustments (more on that later).

By being forthcoming about jungling, you allow your teammates to make changes in their strategy to allow better lane control and pushing power. In many cases brought up against jungling, many have cited cases where one member of the team is unwillingly left to solo 1 v 2 despite the the former having little lane and staying power especially when the other team has two characters with range harassing or farming skills. (IE, a Rammus against an Ashe and a Teemo).

THOU SHALL MAKE SURE THY PARTNER IS CAPABLE OF SOLOING AGAINST TWO ENEMIES!
This is an addition to the first rule, make sure your partner is actually capable of holding his own while tower hugging and able to push back waves of minions fairly quickly. Typically, these partners tend to have farming skills that don't use mana. Such as a Mordekeiser or a Kennen with their farming abilities or a Sirvir with a focus on ricochet. Or even a champion with a teleport. Usually, these characters have long staying and farming abilities and are able to outlevel the two-man opposition or even mid-lane early-mid game.

THOU SHALL PICK OTHER'S SLACK
Help your teammates when they under pressure especially the guy who's going up against two champs , your mere presence is often enough to drive back enemies and make them reconsider pushing or chasing and gives your (usually almost dead) partner some time to go back to shop and heal without sacrificing a tower.

THOU SHALL COME OUT OF THE CLOSET, I mean, JUNGLE TO HELP WITH GANKS
You're a jungler. You're the wildcard (sorry TF fans). You're the one unknown factor that has the potential to blindside the opposing enemy champs in a lane and allow your other teammates a chance to unleash their attacks on the poor unsuspecting ******* who gets caught. You're the wildcard, so get wild and start ganks! If you don't do this often enough and you lose, then all the blame will go on you. AND IT WILL!!!

THOU SHALL ABANDON ENGAGING DRAGON, LIZARD, OR GOLEM WHEN NEARBY TEAMMATE IS ALMOST GOING TO DIE.
Pretty self-explanatory. Basically, if the time for you to kill a monster with a neutral buff is longer than the time it take for you get ass over to a lane and help someone stay alive and succeed, then do the latter than the former. Honestly, what good is a buff if the moment you get it, your nearby teammate dies and the other team goes back to base to heal or shop. One, your buff is almost meaningless since by the time you engage the enemy, the time on your buff will have almost expired. Besides, early game you're usually almost-dead when you get the buff.

THOU SHALL NOT JUNGLE NEARBY WHEN ENEMY TEAM IS PUSHING (and actually damaging) TOWER
It's just common sense people. And this does not only apply to just junglers, but anyone who spends time jungling creeps. An example would be when after an Ashe on Blue at mid was killed by a Trist on Purple. Trist proceeded to push mid and attack tower. Because the sidelanes had their own problem, they were not able to cover mid. So it fell to the jungler, but where was he? He was jungling at ghost and wolf spawn. Mere inches way from Trish when she brought down tower at ghost spawn with 70% health.

THOU SHALL HAVE THY APPROPRIATE CHARACTER, RUNES, MASTERIES, AND SKILLS WHEN JUNGLING.
Basically, get a combination of the above listed in order to be an effective jungler. The rule of thumb is that you are able to jungle and still match the level number of the second lowest guy on the other team, then you're good. If you are 2 levels below the lowest enemy champ, then you're going to be more useless than a broken condom. And if you have to bp right after you beat one group of monsters due to low health and have no healing tools, then don't even think about it.

THOU SHALL QUIT JUNGLING PREDICTABLELY WHEN THY JIG IS UP.
Basically, stop jungling when you manage to get ganked repeatedly in a row. This usually happens mid-game when the first row of towers are gone and enemy champs start jungling intermittently since their mobs are already past the river towards your side. Rather than risk getting ganked themselves by farming in the lane, they jungle. And eventually, you will cross paths with gank patrols usually consisting of two or more champs whose sole purpose is too kick your ass. The obvious solution would be to farm safely near your towers for a while until there are no more MIAs.

THOU SHALL LOOK AT THE MINI-MAP.
Just do it, map awareness is key. Knowledge is power. Knowing is half the battle, etc.

THOU SHALL NOT WHINE WHEN OTHERS START FEEDING.
To be fair, this is usually partly your fault. Especially, when you're absent from ganks. If the feeding is coming from a 2 v 2 in a lane, then it's alright. However, keep whining or complaining to a minimal (it's common courtesy) and you ARE in a position to help them out. Likewise for any other lane. In any case, either you or someone on your team is going to go back to base and then go afk.

Thou shall take control of a teammate's lane when they are shopping.
Just so that the exp and gold from minions aren't going to waste and the opposing laner isn't killing your tower.[/QUOTE]

THOU SHALL DEFINITELY STOP JUNGLING AT LVL 6 EXCEPT DURING DOWNTIME AND TO GET BUFFS
By level 6, everyone (with the exception of maybe Soraka, Taric, and others) is able to farm, push, and take down a tower. This means both your team and the opposing team will have grown a pair and start being more aggressive and taking towers. Either defensively or offensively, you will be needed. And from an economical perspective, you are now able to farm more effectively. And I don't know if you know this but junglers tend to be the most gold strapped out of the bunch if they haven't had an assist or kill recently. Further more by level 6, the opposing team would have already gone back to base with plenty of gold, enough for them to get wards. So that makes jungling a high gamble.

THOU SHALL KEEP TABS ON THE OPPOSING JUNGLER
At times, there may be another jungler. And he is always a wildcard and (like you) has an equal potential to change the game. So track his movements if possible. A good example would be if the buffs on your side or their side of the jungle is missing. This typically means that the jungler is currently bored and has nothing left to kill and will be looking for a gank sandwich.

THOU SHALL BUY ORACLES
Ever since Ranked, ward usage has seen a large increase. So you will get oracles and you will like it, especially mid to late game. By then, the opposing team would have enough coin to ward their jungle and maybe yours and definitely dragon. So waste their gold by destroying their stuff. That way, you will be less likely to get ganked while looking for a buff or taking on dragon. Also it works wonders against invisible characters by preventing them from spying on you and arranging ganks.

THOU SHALL NOT BE A JUNGLING ****TARD.
Adhere to all of the above listed rules.

For the non-junglers

And for those of you who aren't jungling, then the best advice I can give is this:
THOU SHALL ASSUME THE JUNGLER IS A DEADBEAT!

Kidding, just try to work with your jungler and not just yelling four letter words. But just in case, he's bad at HIS job, try your best to do YOUR job.

THOU SHALL NOT QUEUE DODGE WHEN SOMEONE ANNOUNCES HE IS JUNGLING OR YOU SEE A JUNGLER
Just don't be that guy.

THOU SHALL REALIZE THAT JUNGLERS MAKE HELP YOUR TEAM OUTLEVEL THE OTHER TEAM
Remember, you have someone on your team who isn't tied to a lane and can help you gank, kill, and outlevel. And that's the best case scenario. Now even if the jungler sucks and doesn't gank and has not leveled fast even. Remember this, as long as he hasn't fed the other team, you will still have someone who has outleveled his opposing lane. That's right, the person who benefits the most from having a jungling teammate is the guy in the 2v1 lane. Unlike his counterparts early game, he doesn't have to share XP and gold. And usually outlevels them by 2 levels if he plays defensive. In fact, that's why I love having a jungler. The moment I see a Warwick on my team, I immediately volunteer for the solo lane as either Cho'garth or Morde with a teleport summoner spell. And the moment I hit level 6 is usually followed by killing someone I outlevel by 2 with ult and ignite combo. In fact, the team with the jungler tends to outlevel the opposing team without the jungler because of this. And also if you're a Nasus or a Veigar, this should be a wet dream for you. A 2 v 1 is just what you need because you can farm and improve your q without getting last hits stolen from you.

THOU SHALL CALL OUT MIAS
Duh

THOU SHALL WARD JUNGLE AND BRUSH
Like hobos, junglers don't have a steady supply of income coming their way in the form of creeps like you do.They have to actually move around for their income and at greater risk of being ambushed with nary a friendly tower nearby. So they can't always free up some coin for wards, because their builds tend to be on a deadline with equipment being brought the moment they can afford it. And ever since Ranked came into play, more of my matches have people on both sides buying wards for the sole purpose of starting or escaping a jungle gank. It's like Ranked makes people more competitive and actually pay for wards. Best places to set up wards would be river brush, neutral buffs, and dragon. Oh and Baron late game. It only costs you about 4 creep kills, so pony up cheap ass.

Feel free to make any suggestions or comments.

TaigaStance

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

07-27-2010

Don't forget:

Just so that the exp and gold from minions aren't going to waste and the opposing laner isn't killing your tower.

HonestDav

07-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GkCHN View Post
Don't forget:

Just so that the exp and gold from minions aren't going to waste and the opposing laner isn't killing your tower.
Noted and Added

Sardonik

07-27-2010

I'm glad that you pointed this out. I generally play Warwick, and I used to jungle a lot but got sick of people complaining that I didn't level fast enough and stole their kills.

That's kinda the jungler's job, but what do I know, I'm just the Warwick player.

HonestDav

07-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardonik View Post
I'm glad that you pointed this out. I generally play Warwick, and I used to jungle a lot but got sick of people complaining that I didn't level fast enough and stole their kills.

That's kinda the jungler's job, but what do I know, I'm just the Warwick player.
Yeah, the biggest benefit of having a jungler is having someone who can outlevel the opposition, specifically the guy in the 2v1 lane (if he's smart).

GhostDieM

08-15-2010

Nice guide, a most read for anyone who wants to know more about the concept of jungling, +1

InvinceZ

08-16-2010

A good recommended read.

i hv been in good n bad situation involving jungler. for example involving WW.

Bad: Our team WW feed Akali at lvl1 twice and then goes to jungle. Not even helping when I was clearly pushed and harassed (ima squishy u know...what a twitch can to against feeded Akali and Rammus?).

Good: WW always there for gank. I mean, anytime an Akali (again, but different earlier match) push with his team-mates, he was there for a sure kill or two. As a note, we win under 30 min.

IceDive

08-16-2010

Solid points.

(but udyr should never lane, always jungle, like shaco and WW)

tigerllama

08-16-2010

THOU SHALL KILL DRAGON IF THE OPPORTUNITY ARISES
If there is no opportunity to gank a lane, you should kill Dragon. Most jungler's are able to do so by level 5/6. And while you could probably kill half your jungle in that time and gain more gold/exp, it's more beneficial for your team.

THOU SHALL BE WILLING TO HELP WITH DRAGON
Only if it's a 2v2 on the bottom lane and one champion can defend turret safely. Dragon is a gamble for the jungler is the opposing team understands jungle patterns. Some players will know the jungler's general position if they are keeping track. So it's best to down Dragon as soon as possible to leave less response time for mid/bot to react and giving the jungler more health to escape.

^^^
Wouldn't those two be things to note?

IceDive

08-16-2010

I am really curious as to why I was downvoted. udyr can change stance like 5 times and then he is OOM. he needs blue buff, he is best in the jungle. If I am wrong, I'd love to learn why.