@riot: Throwing Omen away for Riven?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darkness Beckons

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-24-2012

and what happened to komachi??

Zileas

VP of Game Design

02-24-2012
3 of 62 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Hm. Well, Zileas was the one who gave the GDC talk about Omen - so no, I don't think so - though admittedly, I could be off.
Yep, we did. Omen had a lot of problems, and we spent some months trying to solve them and couldn't, so we moved on to characters where we could solve the problems. The basic issues around Omen were personification and readability. We had trouble inserting compelling personality (sortof like how Skarner struggles with this), and this diminishes his ability to appear as a 'champion' rather than a minion or pet.

Additionally, it was hard to draw him in a way that signaled him as ranged dps (where we thought the coolest kit could exist). Some people do see this in the designs, others expect assassin or melee DPS or even tank.

Plus, he eats up conceptual space we would rather use on other reptilian monsters ;p Which you guys would rather have.

I'm really excited about the champions we have coming this year.

- Zileas

Echorion

02-24-2012

Looking at the wiki page, it kinda hurts to see that he got cancelled or shelved. He looked like quite a wicked champ in my opinion. Riven is nice too of course, but still, looks pretty interesting for sure.

Edit: I'm getting downvoted for liking a possibly cancelled champion, I gotta stop posting in the forums. People suck =/

Xypherous

Systems Designer

02-24-2012
4 of 62 Riot Posts

Quote:
Still though, will we ever see Omen? He's amazing looking, that would definitely be an awesome champion.
Going to play devil's advocate here - a stance that I usually don't take on the forums - but why do you think Omen is cool? Let me give some reasons (again, playing Devil's advocate) why Omen is an odd character.

1. He doesn't look like any role in particular.

Is he a fighter? Is he ranged? If he's a fighter, why does he shoot spines? If he's ranged, why is he so spindly?

2. He doesn't look like he has a whole lot of individual personality to him whatsoever.

Why isn't there 10,000 Omens? He kind of just looks like a hydralisk equivalent in the zerg army. That's great for a zerg unit and a monster or a miniboss, but why is this character a unique champion?

3. Does he have more than niche appeal?

He's kind of got this western alien-retro horror spine needle aspect going on - those are all pretty niche.

EDIT: Ninja'ed by Zileas. XD

Darkness Beckons

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-24-2012

komachi, what happened, also, what happened to the twin champion!!!

Liquid Fox

02-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
Yep, we did. Omen had a lot of problems, and we spent some months trying to solve them and couldn't, so we moved on to characters where we could solve the problems. The basic issues around Omen were personification and readability. We had trouble inserting compelling personality (sortof like how Skarner struggles with this), and it was hard to draw him in a way that signaled him as ranged dps (where we thought the coolest kit could exist).

Plus, he eats up conceptual space we would rather use on other reptilian monsters ;p

- Zileas
But but... a melee Omen with leaping abilities and maybe even some form of stealth... or some sort of skill that makes him phase out from reality (e.g. can still see him, can't attack him and he can't attack you)... *drool*

And I mean, look at Shaco. He's one of the most successful champions in League and his background/personality doesn't seem very developed. He's there, he kills people, he laughs while doing it, he's a psycho.

Not every champion needs to have an awesome persona and what not, some can just look cool and have cool spell effects and be fun to play. I know I'd instabuy that myself.

Well... just sad that there's not more monstrous champions, like actually monstrous. (demons, mutants, undead, beasts, etc.)

St Demonbane

02-24-2012

Quote:
Yep, we did. Omen had a lot of problems, and we spent some months trying to solve them and couldn't, so we moved on to characters where we could solve the problems. The basic issues around Omen were personification and readability. We had trouble inserting compelling personality (sortof like how Skarner struggles with this), and it was hard to draw him in a way that signaled him as ranged dps (where we thought the coolest kit could exist).

Plus, he eats up conceptual space we would rather use on other reptilian monsters ;p

- Zileas
When i saw him i immediately saw that he was ranged/had ranged abilities because of the spikes protruding from his back, plus he didnt look very fighter-ish because of his small physique

Rampant Magic

02-24-2012

Quote:

- Zileas
Good reasons IMO to cancel the champ.. He realyl doesn't fit with LoL, and he has too much variety in what he looks like what he could do. I see why you canceled him. Thanks Zileas/Xyph.

Shufy

02-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Going to play devil's advocate here - a stance that I usually don't take on the forums - but why do you think Omen is cool? Let me give some reasons (again, playing Devil's advocate) why Omen is an odd character.

1. He doesn't look like any role in particular.

Is he a fighter? Is he ranged? If he's a fighter, why does he shoot spines? If he's ranged, why is he so spindly?

2. He doesn't look like he has a whole lot of individual personality to him whatsoever.

Why isn't there 10,000 Omens? He kind of just looks like a hydralisk equivalent in the zerg army. That's great for a zerg unit and a monster or a miniboss, but why is this character a unique champion?

3. Does he have more than niche appeal?

He's kind of got this western alien-retro horror spine needle aspect going on - those are all pretty niche.

EDIT: Ninja'ed by Zileas. XD
Give him wings!
Problem solved! LOL

Twth

02-24-2012

Trickery