Anyone else dislike Fiora's lore?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Reaganomics

02-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Yes - I agree that we didn't do a great job of communicating this crucial point to the players because we don't have enough space and time for storytelling.

Riven breaks her sword - Yes.

The thing that we didn't show (and couldn't, because of the constraints of the game and what you see) is that when Riven reforges her sword through her willpower - She reforges it to be a different sword.

This is why the Redeemed Riven Skin has a Grey Rune Sword instead of the Black/Green - It's still the same sword - but it reflects who she is and the sword itself shows her progress.

If you've ever played Planescape Torment with Dak'kon - His Karach blade was the thing that I couldn't convey in game - the fact that the sword she breaks and the sword she reforges with her will are different swords.

The sword simply responds to strong emotions and bends itself to the user's will.
Not really trying to get off topic... but I heard originally Riven was supposed to be from Demacia and she left them for Noxus. Was this the actual case? If so I personally think it might have been more interesting had she left Demacia for Noxus. At least from a character development stand point and as a world development one as well, would show that the "good guys" really aren't all that good... as shown in several back stories already. Just something I had been talking about with some other players and was wondering what your thoughts on something like this might be.

As for the new champs lore... it's meh... not bad, not great.

Xypherous

Systems Designer

02-23-2012
3 of 16 Riot Posts

Quote:
Having different colors show up on the runes would definitely imply difference in the blade, and would look totally cool.
It can't really be done as a basic thing - mostly because Redeemed Riven and Crimson Elite Riven's colors are trying to work with the Green. Redeemed works with the Green because.. well.. she's Green.

And Crimson Elite works with the Green because Red/Black complement Green very well.

But adding blues and yellows to the green, while that might work with the redeemed skin - would make Crimson Elite Riven and even normal Riven just kind of look like technicolor magic land. :P

Quote:
but I heard originally Riven was supposed to be from Demacia and she left them for Noxus. Was this the actual case?
My original pitch was for a character who was 'Gooder than Good', yes - but that character has less depth because she's automatically 'in the right.'

Unless we did a fallen story for that character - but I think that's a very different character. I think it could still be made - I'm pretty happy with the conflict we managed to present with the current Riven though, as I think it's more compelling and down to earth.

Renekton Bot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-23-2012

Quote:

If you've ever played Planescape Torment with Dak'kon
I know you're my dad and all but let's get married <3

Gorkins

02-23-2012

Quote:
As it stands, if I were to revisit the character, I would actually push for different tinting on her spells when her ultimate is up - like incorporate blues and yellows with the old greens when her ultimate is up - but yeah.
Wait so what's to stop you from doing this in the future?

Zelink

02-23-2012

I am a guy who doesn't really read alot, but i did spend time to read the lore's riot had back then. I think that was what made me revisit the passion i had for writing and reading. As a huge fan of the lore's it was sad to see them go. Nowadays it seems like most lore's are familiar and boring, i no longer enjoy reading them.

CursedDefeatist

02-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasado View Post
Well, all his moves are references to influential/popular heavy metal bands.

He's also SO metal, he really IS metal.

If you didn't catch it, Morde is a huuuuuuge shout out to heavy metal music lovers.

It's kind of his thing, so in regards to his reason for existing, it makes sense that he'd be in a band?
I get the references, i think it's cool, but i think they should left more like a side joke, making it lorewise is kinda wierd, due his nature, i mean, he is dark being that simply came out of nowhere and stuff.

Kizuna

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-23-2012

Quote:
It can't really be done as a basic thing - mostly because Redeemed Riven and Crimson Elite Riven's colors are trying to work with the Green. Redeemed works with the Green because.. well.. she's Green.

And Crimson Elite works with the Green because Red/Black complement Green very well.

But adding blues and yellows to the green, while that might work with the redeemed skin - would make Crimson Elite Riven and even normal Riven just kind of look like technicolor magic land. :P

My original pitch was for a character who was 'Gooder than Good', yes - but that character has less depth because she's automatically 'in the right.'

Unless we did a fallen story for that character - but I think that's a very different character. I think it could still be made - I'm pretty happy with the conflict we managed to present with the current Riven though, as I think it's more compelling and down to earth.
So, is this partially why the original splash for Redeemed Riven was like a Sky Blue, then changed into a more green tone? Interaction for the rune coloring?

Because I think the green tone matched the original blue really well still, and the green change is still the reason I have never bought Redeemed Riven. :x

...Well, that and her hood makes her head look like a bobble ingame because it never moves and is like a less cool headshell version of the Nobody's uniform from Kingdom Hearts. It doesn't seem to convey the cool "hood-ness" of the splash. D:

LuciedBR

02-23-2012

Quote:

But adding blues and yellows to the green, while that might work with the redeemed skin - would make Crimson Elite Riven and even normal Riven just kind of look like technicolor magic land.
There was a pretty large group of people asking for Redeemed Riven to be recolored blue when someone released a blue version of the splash art. Now would be your chance to actually make her blue.

And maybe make the sword use the Demacian Justice model. =D

Reaganomics

02-23-2012

Quote:

Fair enough.

I do enjoy Riven a great deal, pretty much everything about her. So great job on that.

I do hope in the future we get another "Fallen" type character, someone to show that the world is a bit more gray than it would seem. Morgana is an example, but being from another world it feels like disconnect with the lore that we have been exposed to. So an Ionian/Demacian defecting to Noxus for some reason would certainly be a good twist down the road.

Keep up the good work.

bahamutkaiser

02-23-2012

There's still lore?, TBH, I could do a better job than most of it, off hand, and I have no writing background... but I can see the trouble of making an entire lineup of epic characters who are ultimately suppose to be the same, just look at Jax and Mordekaiser, or Chogath, kinda broken.