Announcing the release of Mobile Tribunal

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

kitae

Lead Designer

02-20-2012
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Giving out your Riot account information to any third party is not a good idea.

Risemix

02-20-2012

Except the application doesn't do that. You can check the source yourself.

Redeemed In Fire

02-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitae View Post
Giving out your Riot account information to any third party is not a good idea.
Hand-combed the source myself, right down to the CSS files. Only passes data through to league of legends servers. Since I know no one trusts me any more than the OP (and why should they :P), I only provide it for informational purposes (I plan to privately host it for my own use).

zydoll

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risemix View Post
Except the application doesn't do that. You can check the source yourself.
It makes no difference what the application does, any Riot response had to tell you not to do it. There is absolutely no way a Riot employee was going to come give this a thumbs up, imo. I've not yet looked at the code, but I likely would never use something like this because A) I'm never comfortable giving passwords to any third party program regardless of safety, and B) I've got plenty of time to do Tribunal at work every day.

FlySkyHigh777

02-20-2012

Nope. Not trusted. If this was developed by a Riot employee, perhaps I could go for it. But no way.

LiegeWaffles

02-20-2012

Even if you don't log usernames and passwords in your webserver logs, you've probably now painted a bullseye on your website for any maliscious person who would like to get their hands on LoL usernames and passwords and you don't have the same resources Riot has to prevent/defend against breakin attempts...

So I'd say the only pseudo-safe way to use this is to download it and host it on your own webspace without anything linking to that URL where you installed it...

Teemo Hunter

02-20-2012

This is actually pretty **** awesome. If you don't trust the guy don't use it. I know it's dangerous on the Internet to trust random people but I say why the hell not, I'm not giving him my credit card information or anything like that.

This app is great, I'd be willing to pay $.99 in the App store or Android market for something like this. If you're able to, PLEASE develop a LoL Forum application, take my money!

Edit: And to some of the concerns above me, remember, "Your password is never saved on the server. There is no database used by the app. The option for remembering your password saves it on your phone, not with us."

QuartzDragonFire

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiegeWaffles View Post
Even if you don't log usernames and passwords in your webserver logs, you've probably now painted a bullseye on your website for any maliscious person who would like to get their hands on LoL usernames and passwords and you don't have the same resources Riot has to prevent/defend against breakin attempts...
based on RCIX's post i'm guessing they are doing what they should be doing an not saving anything in a database and just passing the user/pass through directly to riot.

Redeemed In Fire

02-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuartzDragonFire View Post
based on RCIX's post i'm guessing they are doing what they should be doing an not saving anything in a database and just passing the user/pass through directly to riot.
To clarify, either the app itself (as in the bits that run on your computer) caches your username and password to login itself, or it caches a session to keep you logged in (not totally sure which, i'm not super versed in the languages and libraries used). In any case, there is no access or mention in-code whatsoever, download or upload, to any external server aside from [realm].leagueoflegends.com (where realm is the one you specify in the login).

Redop

02-20-2012

Just out of curiosity... How can someone knows if the source code provided is, indeed, the same of the app itself? I mean, I'm not saying you did but you could temper the code if you wanted to.

I just think that providing the source code doesn't mean it's safe.