Ask Riven

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mieh

Recruiter

02-18-2012

Riven,

I have many questions for you - but here in this setting I'll start with two, if you'll permit me.

The first: I cannot help but notice that while some writers ask about the self-imposed exile discussed in your League bio, not one person has referred to you by the title, 'Exile'. Food for thought, maybe?

And for the second, first some background: Many summoners have hopped onto the 'Atmog's' bandwagon (i.e. outfitting any given melee champion with warmog's armor and atma's impaler) as a means of both intimidating opponents and making failed engagements more forgiving, possibly enabling escapes. I can only imagine your distaste when all of that bulk is strapped onto you instead of your blade. Now I'm not fully opposed to the use of Atmog's on the Fields of Justice. It has it's place - that is, with champions that naturally synergize with hardiness, such as Olaf, Volibear, and Malphite. In contrast, you've used your giant blade to block blows that even the toughest of champions would have to shoulder with pauldrons, a shield, or their own girth - even as you return with devastating cleaves and swings.

-And now the question: While the greatest of lessons (not the least of these being respect and honor for the uniqueness and talents of others) are learned with experience, if you could offer firsthand advice to summoners as to how to bring out the best in your talents, whether in terms of item philosophy, engagement philosophy, and/or otherwise... would you? If so, I invite you to share your thoughts here. It may make a difference in someone's life, somehow.

Jamaree

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2012

Dear Riven,

Out of all the champions on the Fields of Justice, you seem to be the most...I can't even think of the correct words. I respect you and hope someday you find inner peace and a place you can find your own. I just wish to ask personally what you think about some champions, first off Soraka, it seems like you kind of would get along. Both of you don't like the more...despicable people of Noxus but want the right thing done in the end, second, how do you feel about yorldes, more specially Teemo.

Ask Riven

02-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwol View Post
Excellent! Meet me at the Institute of War, usual battlegrounds. Tommorrow at 5pm if this is acceptable.

-Tekun Valos

((Mind adding me in game and maybe we can make this fun?))
Sorry for getting back to you so late. I'm looking at the time right now, and that makes it even worse (5:04...). I'll be there shortly.

(OOC: I'll add you on my actual account, provided you keep it a secret. )

I'll answer all the questions soon. Training comes first.

Edit: Sratch that. Seems I may have missed my opportunity. I'll answer the questions in the meantime.

Ask Riven

02-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykoboy View Post
Riven,

Think you could squeeze me into a duel or two, as well? I'll be fine, just be careful to not break my gauntlet.

-Jay
If you wish.

(OOC: Is this another fanfic thing or an actual challenge? :3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordenn View Post
In any case, consider my curiosity piqued as to your plan. I'm sure I'll hear of it sooner or later, in any case. It doesn't sound like you plan on being particularly subtle when you're ready to enact it. Though I would prefer to know sooner, obviously.

In any case, do you have any plans besides training until that day? Or are you quite focused on that one goal?
If I manage to acquire an ally that would aid me in my goal, then that would be something worthy of my time. But I'm unsure of others' intentions, so this may be something I do alone. This objective will be my sole focus until the day comes when I enact it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Trinity View Post
Lady Riven,

I am Arthur, the Trinity Wraith. I must ask this as I am very curious: How do you control that gauntlet? Clearly it is large as what we use for our armour sets and exceeds the size of your forearm. How are you able to control that? Also, I do think that you are gorgeous. I do not have any intimate interest in you but I would love to have a long walk with you some time.

With honour and respect,
Arthur, the Trinity Wraith
Are you asking me to describe the inner workings of Noxian armor? I think that might cause some issues with Noxus, even if I'm using an outdated piece. But, to answer vaguely, my hand does not touch the metal, and I control it directly? I'm still not sure what you mean exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieh View Post
The first: I cannot help but notice that while some writers ask about the self-imposed exile discussed in your League bio, not one person has referred to you by the title, 'Exile'. Food for thought, maybe?
It doesn't matter to me. That title was given to me by the League. While it suited me before, I'm not sure of its relevance now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieh View Post
-And now the question: While the greatest of lessons (not the least of these being respect and honor for the uniqueness and talents of others) are learned with experience, if you could offer firsthand advice to summoners as to how to bring out the best in your talents, whether in terms of item philosophy, engagement philosophy, and/or otherwise... would you? If so, I invite you to share your thoughts here. It may make a difference in someone's life, somehow.
This is a large question. There's a lot to know about me and my fighting style. It would take a lot of time and effort to explain it all...
I'll consider this in the future if I have some spare time, since it may help us both, and others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaree View Post
Dear Riven,

Out of all the champions on the Fields of Justice, you seem to be the most...I can't even think of the correct words. I respect you and hope someday you find inner peace and a place you can find your own. I just wish to ask personally what you think about some champions, first off Soraka, it seems like you kind of would get along. Both of you don't like the more...despicable people of Noxus but want the right thing done in the end, second, how do you feel about yorldes, more specially Teemo.
Soraka is an admirable champion. Though she's in the League mostly for her own reasons, the compassion and understanding she shows towards others is... well, godly. She doesn't (or at least tries not to) judge others, including myself. I have never had any issues with her.

Yordles are an interesting breed. You don't see many of them in Noxus, though I've met many in my travels, and they all have the same general quirkiness to them. Like they're all trying to make up for their size in some way. Teemo, on the other hand, embraces his size and uses its advantages in combat. He's a deadly warrior, and he's a little creepy to be honest. He feels no guilt or remorse, on the battlefield or off. I'm always a little off-put when I face him, and I think everyone else feels the same. Hence why they always go after him first...

(OOC: On a side note, Riven hasn't ignored the compliments. She's just glad this isn't a face-to-face discussion, because she's blushing.)

Jaykoboy

02-18-2012

((Yes, it's a real challenge. Come at meh, bro. Or bra. Or whatever gender you are.))

Mordenn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2012

Well if you can find the time during your busy schedule of beating on summoners and champions alike during training, I would be more than happy to meet with you and clarify my own intentions. Your not inconsiderable abilities have helped me out quite a bit on the Fields of Justice, I figure helping you out in turn is the least I could do. Plus, I find you quite interesting. There aren't many who would go what you went through and not only survive, but begin to rebuild themselves as well.

In any case, I suppose I should ask a question as well. You have traveled over much of Valoran both during your time serving Noxus and your self imposed exile. What place did you find to be the most beautiful or otherwise appealing?

Jaykoboy

02-18-2012

Dear Riven,

My, you are far better in combat than I expected. My hat goes to you for defeating me so thuroughly.

-Jay

Ask Riven

02-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordenn View Post
Well if you can find the time during your busy schedule of beating on summoners and champions alike during training, I would be more than happy to meet with you and clarify my own intentions. Your not inconsiderable abilities have helped me out quite a bit on the Fields of Justice, I figure helping you out in turn is the least I could do. Plus, I find you quite interesting. There aren't many who would go what you went through and not only survive, but begin to rebuild themselves as well.

In any case, I suppose I should ask a question as well. You have traveled over much of Valoran both during your time serving Noxus and your self imposed exile. What place did you find to be the most beautiful or otherwise appealing?
I appreciate your kind words and will keep them in mind in the future.

And as odd as it may seem coming from me, I have yet to find a place more beautiful than Ionia. I still love the interesting rock structures and mysterious feel of Noxus, but Ionia has its own surreal feel to it. The mountain formations. The green plains. The dazzling cities built into the landscapes. It is absolutely beautiful, and nothing I've seen so far has bested it. I have yet to travel below the Great Barrier, but from what I hear it isn't the most pleasant area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykoboy View Post
Dear Riven,

My, you are far better in combat than I expected. My hat goes to you for defeating me so thuroughly.

-Jay
I'm sorry your experience wasn't entirely... enjoyable. But I thank you for the time you spent with me. Any practice I can get is a good thing.

st0pb0t

02-18-2012

Dear Riven,

Specifically, how many gropers and chauvinistic pigs have you beaten half to death?

Dunkelzahn

02-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Riven View Post
This question gets on my nerves. People try to justify what Warwick and Singed have created as just another means of power.
Tell me, if one Noxian were to develop a machine that could annihilate the entire continent, an unprecedented amount of power, would you bow down to him?
Being that he has the ability to annihilate an entire continent, then yes, I would probably bow to him. And in true Noxian fashion, in the meantime I would find a way to supplant him in power.

Quote:
It's not about power and destruction. It's about proving one's worth. It's about respect. It's about an individual's strength.
So if it's about respect, why did you continually fight for a nation which thrives on antagonizing the rest of the world? Fear or hatred is not respect.

The League archives mentioned that you were "ruthless and efficient as a warrior, [and that your] true strength lay in [your] conviction. [You] entered battles without any trace of doubt in [your] mind: no ethical pause, no fear of death."

You had no ethical pause when your nation ruthlessly attempted to subjugate everyone around them. Where you used your prowess as a fighter to put Noxus's enemies to the sword, Singed and Warwick used science to accomplish the same task of subjugating Noxus's enemies. What's the difference?

Quote:
People like Singed are cowards who hide behind their creations, and are weak without them. They are unworthy.
Singed is a deplorable creature, and his mentor Warwick even more so, but you would rather have a Noxus where the worth of a person is judged by their physical prowess? Do you want Noxus to descend into barbarism, where those who are not physically strong are culled? Are people who "hide behind creations" worthless?

Are the scientists in Piltover, who may not be able to have the strength to win a duel, equally unworthy and weak despite being the most progressive nation in the world, whose inventions and knowledge have made life better for many people? Heimerdinger is a yordle, and a small one at that. In a swordfight, he probably couldn't do a thing. Would you say he is weak and unworthy?

Would you rather have a world where we all fight each other to command respect? There was such a time, and it was called the Rune Wars, where societies attempted to wipe each other out for centuries. Maybe Zilean can transport you there.