Ask Riven

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ask Riven

02-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykoboy View Post
Riven,

Who is your favorite champion to duel? Who's your least favorite champion in general?

-Jay
I don't really have a favorite champion to duel with. Sure, I enjoy a good battle, but I enjoy winning a battle more. But... If I were to pick one... Udyr?

My least favorite, obviously, is Singed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poponastick View Post
Riven, ready for two deep questions?

What do you think of fate? Does it exist and guide us all down an inexorable path? Or can we forge our own destinies?

Also,

What is justice? Do you believe in moral relativism or absolutism? Is something always right or wrong or is there gray area?
Those are deep... Hmm...

I'm not convinced on the idea of fate. There's something that itches at my mind occasionally, like things are connected somehow, but I can't bring myself to believe that everything is predetermined. It makes no sense to me. Things like weather and emotions are much too spontaneous for that.

Right? Wrong? Who decides these things?
When we get down to the very basics, people have a general idea of what is right and wrong. But beyond that, it's all a blur. Everyone has their own opinions, beliefs, perspectives. These are all things they've learned or developed. What people call justice is an attempt to bring back those basics and apply them to the complicated areas. Actions like 'He did something wrong, so something wrong should be done to him.'
In my opinion, the best justice would be to show someone the weakness in their thoughts or actions. Show them they're wrong. Convince them you're right. Make them change. That's the only way we'd ever get people thinking the same way.
But then again, that may be wrong. I haven't spent much time thinking about it. I'll have to do so in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkelzahn View Post
Dear Riven,

Why is it that you believe in the Noxian ideal of the strongest, regardless of where they come from or who they are, deserve power, but when someone who's doing the same thing manages to inconvenience you (Singed), you immediately believe the entire ideal is shattered and corrupted and proceed to become emotional about it?
This question gets on my nerves. People try to justify what Warwick and Singed have created as just another means of power.
Tell me, if one Noxian were to develop a machine that could annihilate the entire continent, an unprecedented amount of power, would you bow down to him?
Now, say a Noxian were to best everyone else in a duel. Possibly take down an army himself. Prove that he were the strongest in the land. That is the kind of person I'd bow down to. And that is the way Noxus should be.
It's not about power and destruction. It's about proving one's worth. It's about respect. It's about an individual's strength.
People like Singed are cowards who hide behind their creations, and are weak without them. They are unworthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ętherwrack View Post
*sees all these thoughtful philosophical questions*

... Hey Riven, what's your favorite pastry?
... After all that. I'm a little angry. Sorry. Let me cool down a bit before I can even think to respond to this.

st0pb0t

02-17-2012

I can wait.

*twiddles thumbs*

Jaykoboy

02-17-2012

I'm sensing the hand of Grand Viper on this thread...

Anyways,

Riven,

What is your quest? I mean, we all know you're exiled, looking for self-redemption. Which is truly a honorable story. But how do you plan on doing this? Do you truly believe, deep down, that the League of Legends is the only place in which you can redeem yourself?

Also, has Master Yi ever shown any resentment towards you?

-Jay

Mordenn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-17-2012

You mentioned in your last response to me that you felt you'd found a goal to strive for. Do you mind if I ask what it is? Your problem seems a very existential one, so I am curious what sort of mission you think would be able to help with it.

Also have you ever considered spending time in Bilgewater? It's a rough place but the people there have much the same philosophy as you seem to hold. In order to get what you want from life, you have to be strong and willing enough to take it. People don't try to impose their own justice on others. There's also slightly less chemical warfare, which is always a plus.

Ask Shyvana

02-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Riven View Post
That's a large question... And quite personal... But still... I think I should answer it.
I don't think things will ever be 'patched up'. I can't simply apologize for what I was involved in. I've been approached by a few, with mixed results. But personally, I won't seek them out for forgiveness. I'd rather show them that I have the power to change things for the better, which I hope will earn me some form of respect.
I'm fond of the way the Institute works. Power begets power. Necessary violence avoids unnecessary violence. This seems something like a mix between Noxian and Ionian ideologies (and perhaps Demacian as well, if you find some sort of 'justice' in it), so by participating and improving our world, I think we can find some common ground.
Ah, right. I didn't consider the possibility that it would be personal. I apologize. But thank you for answering.

I don't see any more 'justice' in the League than I do in any war. The League does spare countless lives though, which I certainly approve of. Anyway, your plan is certainly understandable. I wish you all the best.

This question will no doubt be far less personal: I see you keep your hair very short. I'm sure it makes combat much easier, but you know, if you keep your hair in a ponytail, it shouldn't ever pose an issue. Have you considered that?

Ask Riven

02-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ętherwrack View Post
I can wait.

*twiddles thumbs*
Okay. I'm no longer seeing red. This is good.

I'd have to say my favorite pastries are eclairs. I could eat a mountain of them. Easily. And that scares me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykoboy View Post
I'm sensing the hand of Grand Viper on this thread...

Anyways,

Riven,

What is your quest? I mean, we all know you're exiled, looking for self-redemption. Which is truly a honorable story. But how do you plan on doing this? Do you truly believe, deep down, that the League of Legends is the only place in which you can redeem yourself?

Also, has Master Yi ever shown any resentment towards you?

-Jay
(OOC: That I'm being compared to GV makes me happy. Was it the Udyr comment? )

Self-redemption is impossible. That is one of the things I've learned from Ionians, specifically from Lee Sin. What matters is what you do with the future, and what you can offer others in it.

Master Yi is one of the few I've had conflict with. I can understand his hatred, and the fact that he struggles with it despite his Ionian teachings. There is nothing I can do to give him solace. We do, however, share a common enemy, which I believe gives me some slight leniency in his eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordenn View Post
You mentioned in your last response to me that you felt you'd found a goal to strive for. Do you mind if I ask what it is? Your problem seems a very existential one, so I am curious what sort of mission you think would be able to help with it.

Also have you ever considered spending time in Bilgewater? It's a rough place but the people there have much the same philosophy as you seem to hold. In order to get what you want from life, you have to be strong and willing enough to take it. People don't try to impose their own justice on others. There's also slightly less chemical warfare, which is always a plus.
I'd rather not reveal that yet. I'm in the middle of training for the day that I will declare it. I need to be sure I'm ready. However, if I see an opportunity, you will know of it immediately.

As for Bilgewater, I have no interest in it. There is no honor or respect in such a place. Sure, there are differences in power between the residents, but such a thing can change in one's sleep there. Only a disgraceful and humiliating death awaits those with power in Bilgewater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Shyvana View Post
This question will no doubt be far less personal: I see you keep your hair very short. I'm sure it makes combat much easier, but you know, if you keep your hair in a ponytail, it shouldn't ever pose an issue. Have you considered that?
I tried this during my training at the military academy. I quickly found out during our grappling matches that a ponytail is very hazardous against a dirty-fighting opponent. I've kept it short since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwol View Post
Nah. Not a summoner at all. (Why do people confuse me with Nwol?), but I'm tied to the league. I'm a bit of a fan but I simply seek single combat, friendly of course. I would understood if you declined however.

-Tekun Valos
I'm always open to expanding my experience. Name a time and place.

Jaykoboy

02-17-2012

(OOC, yes, it was the Udyr comment. ))

Nwol

02-17-2012

Excellent! Meet me at the Institute of War, usual battlegrounds. Tommorrow at 5pm if this is acceptable.

-Tekun Valos

((Mind adding me in game and maybe we can make this fun?))

Jaykoboy

02-17-2012

Riven,

Think you could squeeze me into a duel or two, as well? I'll be fine, just be careful to not break my gauntlet.

-Jay

Mordenn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-17-2012

Well, not all of us Bilgewater folk are honorless vagabonds. Just the vast majority.

In any case, consider my curiosity piqued as to your plan. I'm sure I'll hear of it sooner or later, in any case. It doesn't sound like you plan on being particularly subtle when you're ready to enact it. Though I would prefer to know sooner, obviously.

In any case, do you have any plans besides training until that day? Or are you quite focused on that one goal?

PS: Do try not to permanently harm any summoners during training, if at all possible. They are hard to come by, or so I hear.